Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    well i am very thankful for those "1200 is not enough" threads/posts. I stopped losing at 1200 upped my cals to now 1550-1800 calories. Guess what! I am still not losing. But I am much happier and have more energy. And I am so much stronger. So I am just hoping my body needs to recover from eating so little and working out so much then the weight will start to come off again. But really I am a lot nicer when I eat more...so its a plus to anyone who has to be around me too! And well, I get to eat more!!

i went from 1200 to 1550 and didn't loose. i dropped to 1400 and now the weight is coming off. you could just need a little tweaking. :)
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    well i am very thankful for those "1200 is not enough" threads/posts. I stopped losing at 1200 upped my cals to now 1550-1800 calories. Guess what! I am still not losing. But I am much happier and have more energy. And I am so much stronger. So I am just hoping my body needs to recover from eating so little and working out so much then the weight will start to come off again. But really I am a lot nicer when I eat more...so its a plus to anyone who has to be around me too! And well, I get to eat more!!

i went from 1200 to 1550 and didn't loose. i dropped to 1400 and now the weight is coming off. you could just need a little tweaking. :)

i was thinking that too. I am going to try this for another month and see how it goes. I did a lot of stupid things to my body (barely eating during the week/overeating on weekends) so I am hoping my body needs time to adjust. But thank you for your suggestion, I really want to get to my goal and still be nice. :) How long did you stay at 1550 before you dropped to 1400? And how long were you at 1400 before you started to lose again?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

i was thinking that too. I am going to try this for another month and see how it goes. I did a lot of stupid things to my body (barely eating during the week/overeating on weekends) so I am hoping my body needs time to adjust. But thank you for your suggestion, I really want to get to my goal and still be nice. :) How long did you stay at 1550 before you dropped to 1400? And how long were you at 1400 before you started to lose again?

i stayed at 1550 for almost 2 months, lowered to 1400 about 3 weeks ago and just lost 1.5lb. it hasn't been long for me at 1400.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I personally don't give two figs what others think about how much I eat or don't eat. All of their starvation mode BS doesn't scare me mainly because I've been doing this for 20 months now and have just now slowed down to a crawl, not because of my eating habits but because I only have 60 lbs left to lose. What I have done worked perfectly for me. My hair is not falling out, I'm not going back to being overweight because of the amount that I chose to eat at. When you find something that works for you stick with it and tell everyone else to take a flying leap off a really high cliff. I get tired of seeing the 1200 calorie starvation mode crap but in the end it's okay because I know what is working for me, it may not work for you and that's fine, you got to do what you got to do for you. And by George I am a "special snowflake" and so are you :laugh: so enjoy your life. I don't even believe my metab is damaged at all. Slowed but that's because I'm closer to my healthy weight.

Actually it's slowed down to a crawl because with 60 lbs to lose, you need to have a smaller deficit than when you had 200 lbs to lose. When you have a lot of fat to burn, it's ok to eat less. But now that you have less, you noticed that you're not losing as much weight at all... it's normal. I've lost 53 lbs so far, and I'm eating 1700 a day, and I'm not super active by any means (ok, I just decreased my goal to 1650 now that I have 20 lbs to lose). Bottom line, it shouldn't slow down to a crawl when you have 63 lbs to lose... unless you're not eating enough (or damaged your metabolism by not eating enough for a while).

Yep, agree!!

When she starts to eat more and it will happen, she will gain it all back plus more, I know it happen to me before, this is my second time doing this, though I started out doing the same thing, I was tired of feeling hungry all the time, so I started reading the forums about eating more to lose, TDEE. etc. I been doing this eat more to lose weight (TDEE) about 8 months and I have been losing weight (1700-2000 cals.), about a pound a week and sometimes 2 pounds a week!! :happy:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I wouldn't drop your calories, have you figured out your BMR and TDEE??

If not try this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Give your body about 6-8 weeks, it takes time. Good luck.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I wouldn't drop your calories, have you figured out your BMR and TDEE??

If not try this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Give your body about 6-8 weeks, it takes time. Good luck.
    Yes I did figure out my BMR and TDEE. My trainer and I came up with a plan for me to eat 1550 on non-workout days and 1800 on workout days. I really feel good eating at this, so I really don't mind sticking with it for a few more weeks to see if it will work. You saying give it 6-8 weeks keeps me hopeful.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ok so I carefully read all of your posts....

I'm glad some of you actually got was I was saying.

This was not a topic about wether eating 1200 is ok for me or for everybody, this was a topic saying that once you see 1200 calories you start automaticly saying that that is wrong and that is not enough without reading anything else. And my point was pretty much proven because a lot of you commented on how my metabolism will slow down and that my TDEE was not what I said it was, some of you were very "mean"

I would like to quote what I said at the first post.
    "That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply "

Anyways, I'm glad some of you got the point, sadly a lot of people didn't read or what I first posted and just talk about calorie intake or simply didn't care and talk about what they wanted, which was saying how 1200 is bad.

I do not advocate for a 1200 calories for everyone and I think I made my point very clear, I said that it ALL depends on height, weight, activity level, etc and that people should READ the topics before giving their opinions. If the person is 6'2 and works out 5 times a week and it is netting 500 calories a day, yeah, go ahead, advice them and tell them that they are probably not eating enough, if the person is shorter than 5 feet and in a wheelchair, that probably means 1200 is enough for them. So please read before commenting!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I like to check a person's profile before I share my opinion on their calorie goals. If they're over 45-50 and sedentary, that's a different story than if someone's young and active. Ideally, I'd like to see their diary, too, because there's a difference between netting 1200 and eating only 1200. I have no problem with someone netting 1200, but for most people who exercise, a flat 1200 is too low.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I like to check a person's profile before I share my opinion on their calorie goals. If they're over 45-50 and sedentary, that's a different story than if someone's young and active. Ideally, I'd like to see their diary, too, because there's a difference between netting 1200 and eating only 1200. I have no problem with someone netting 1200, but for most people who exercise, a flat 1200 is too low.

That was my point exactly, it is fine giving the 1200 not enough speech when you read all the facts, but many people comment and don't even bother to read what the person is saying/asking before doing it.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am a shorty and when I don't exercise, an average of1200 calories isn't unreasonable for me to lose a pound a week. I find it is much easier to eat when I am hungry and to not eat when I feel satisfied. This means one day I may eat 1400 calories and only 1000 calories the next. I hear plenty of people say it isn't healthy.
    Also when I am dieting, I am for high nutrient foods, not empty calories. Someone can take in 3000 empty calories a day and not get the nutrients they need. I think that should definitely be taken into account
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1200 (when I'm dieting) and people are always "yada yada yada STARVATION MODE!" I'm so sick of it.

Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

Stop demonizing 1200 calories and learn that it ALL depends on how tall, fat, active you are. Seriously some threads sound like broken records. Read a little before saying the "you are eating too little blablabla"

I remember a woman saying she ate 800-900 and like 3 pages of people saying she was pretty much an idiot for doing that. She stated in her topic that she had surgery to lose weight and thats her maximum calories because her stomach is super small and nobody even read that, they were too preocupied to say she was not eating enough.

That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.

Feel better???

Don't blast people who are only trying to help you. When I get cranky like this, I'm usually HUNGRY!! :sad:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

This was not a topic about wether eating 1200 is ok for me or for everybody, this was a topic saying that once you see 1200 calories you start automaticly saying that that is wrong and that is not enough without reading anything else. And my point was pretty much proven because a lot of you commented on how my metabolism will slow down and that my TDEE was not what I said it was, some of you were very "mean"

"That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply "

Anyways, I'm glad some of you got the point, sadly a lot of people didn't read or what I first posted and just talk about calorie intake or simply didn't care and talk about what they wanted, which was saying how 1200 is bad.

I do not advocate for a 1200 calories for everyone and I think I made my point very clear, I said that it ALL depends on height, weight, activity level, etc and that people should READ the topics before giving their opinions. If the person is 6'2 and works out 5 times a week and it is netting 500 calories a day, yeah, go ahead, advice them and tell them that they are probably not eating enough, if the person is shorter than 5 feet and in a wheelchair, that probably means 1200 is enough for them. So please read before commenting!

:drinker: Well played. I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this *not* go down in flames since I started here this past Jan.:wink:

It's important to note that your post and other responses are discussing one scenario, while there is a whole different conversation happening using a different set of circumstances. That's one helluva knee jerk, eh? :laugh:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

:drinker: Well played. I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this *not* go down in flames since I started here this past Jan.:wink:

It's important to note that your post and other responses are discussing one scenario, while there is a whole different conversation happening using a different set of circumstances. That's one helluva knee jerk, eh? :laugh:

Agree with this !
  • glocke12
    glocke12 Posts: 21
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

So how does it work when you eat 1000-1200 calories AND exercise? I have a hard time believing that a persons metabolism will slow down while at the same time that person is getting 50-60 minutes of cardio or resistance training a day.
  • TreetYoSelf
    Options
    ....you
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So how does it work when you eat 1000-1200 calories AND exercise? I have a hard time believing that a persons metabolism will slow down while at the same time that person is getting 50-60 minutes of cardio or resistance training a day.

Metabolism slows because of the under eating. Exercise does not ramp metabolism up in this case because your body doesn't have enough energy and you are sapping your body of muscle which slows metabolism. The stress of the extreme dieting and exercise causes excess cortisol which is a stress hormone. This is a survival mechanism which will prevent further weight loss.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I think part of the question is what did this under 5' tall person in a wheel chair post? Was the OP frustrated and near tears because they've stopped losing on 1100 or 1200 calories, sometimes netting far less? Because that's generally when I see the 1200 calories is not enough posts come out. If you post on a public forum that says MINIMUM of 1200 calories is their policy it's irresponsible to suggest the OP cut back to 1000 or 800.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

If you post on a public forum that says MINIMUM of 1200 calories is their policy it's irresponsible to suggest the OP cut back to 1000 or 800.
    [/quote]

Great Point .
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with your post. It was even worse a year ago when I first started. There was a very large group of people who had taken on the mission of berating anyone and everyone who even mentioned eating at the 1200 level, no matter what their age, height, body composition, activity level, etc. They were actually extremely rude and aggressive about it.
    Most of those people never lost their weight and many have now deactivated their accounts. Many of them realized that they couldn't eat as many calories as they thought they could, and ended up lowering them. Many got tired of spending every day in the gym, killing themself so they could eat what they wanted, and either quit, or lowered their cals and activity.

I was here a year ago and I actively participated in threads of people looking for help/advice because they were struggling at their MFP-imposed 1200 calorie limit. However, I have no idea this "very large group of people" to which you are referring. I also find it very interesting how you know so much about those people and their reasons for not reaching their goals.

So I would love to know more. Perhaps you could provide names of a few of them to refresh my memory. Maybe also provide a few stories about those who failed to reach their goals. Since their accounts are deactivated, I can't imagine you'd get in any trouble for sharing their now-deactivated names.