Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am not a hater.. I agree with some of the other post .. I did not read all of them...

It seems like those who I have friended or given advice to on here.. I can only recall one, who may need 1200 or less calories a day... One girl I gave advice to was in bed sick and hurting cause she was so tired and she herself believed it was due to exercising and only eating 1200 calories.... Another girl who I made a bit angry.. she in boxed me... lol... her daily intake was a few hundred over 1200 and she was eating 1200 or a lot less on some days... and working out... I had suggested that that is ok for a short bit.. but as a long term goal that to me is starving.... starving is not a bad word as some think it is.... but in fact I think it is a short way to say.. you not eating your daily need in calories!

So I agree with the original post... somewhat.. if your going to ask about 1200 calorie diet and that's what your body needs.. maybe share that is you daily goal according to your height, weight and activity level.. then ask questions.. because that .. your correct... makes sense and is healthy.. and productive! Otherwise... if you need 1600 calories and your eating 1200 while exercising... please... do not post and ask.. what am I doing wrong? Cause your going to get a honest answer from the community!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this thread soooo much.
    An even exchange of ideas making it easier to see everyone's points :drinker:

OP...you're awesome. I say again, I really have never seen a thread like this go so well :drinker:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I specified that there is a big difference between what is called "starvation mode" and what actual starvation is.

Maybe I didn't word myself clearly. The fact of the matter is that nothing I said is not true or scientifically-based. If you eat at too deep of a calorie deficit for too long (and for most people 1200 calorie diet creates too deep of a calorie deficit), the body will release cortisol and grehlin in an effort to keep you from starving yourself. One could argue that these aren't mechanisms to prevent starvation, but that is the presumed purpose of these mechanisms. Simply saying that you can starve on far less food than 1200 calories does not change the fact that long-term weight loss at 1200 calories for most people will lead to a release of cortisol and grehlin.

This.

And all that cortisol is sooooo great..... (NOT!)

It affects blood glucose, blood pressure - can lead to hypertension or high blood pressure and subsequently cardiovascular disease, can cause depression and cognitive defects (your brain needs more calories than that just to function correctly).

Think about that for a minute (if you are able).
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is the biggest pile of bullcrap I've ever seen. Science has proven that you can fast safely for 4 days with no effects to your metabolism and not only that it has other health benefits. This is why programs such as LeanGains and EatStopEat are working wonders for many people.

The amount of uneducated people on here is unreal.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is the biggest pile of bullcrap I've ever seen. Science has proven that you can fast safely for 4 days with no effects to your metabolism and not only that it has other health benefits. This is why programs such as LeanGains and EatStopEat are working wonders for many people.

We aren't talking about fasting here. We are talking about long term under consumption.
  • Doone33
    Options
    Very negative!! I thought this was a site where people support each other... wow.

Hmmm....is it being supportive to tell someone, "Way to go on destroying your body's metabolic functions! Woot!"

I had to comment .. I read it after my first initial reply...
    I agree.. People are going to make their own life choices and then they will live with the results of those choices.... But I am asking you to not get upset at others especially if you have ask them a question.. or posted a topic into the community.. when you get their answers! Its not typical of anyone on here to give advice that will destroy your body... Just as if someone may tell you you need to cut out the pop.. and other treats... they may give the advice that your not eating enough.. therefore starving your body which will give quick results for a while... but after your done dieting and you go back to try and maintain... it may pose problems... and we all know.. some people are small enough.. have little activity and maybe even no exercise and only need 1200 calories... But is that really the majority? I don't think so~!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Apparently, the moral of this thread is:

If someone wants to starve themselves when they don't have to, those of us who are successfully losing weight eating more reasonable amounts of food should shut up and let them suffer.

ENJOY YOUR RICE CAKES!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I barely ever get to 1200 calories a day and im never hungry I feel like I have to force myself to eat that much... it depends on the person :)

Not being hungry on less than 1200 a day is a sign that your metabolism is in crawling mode. Ever hear of the hormone leptin? You might want to Google it. Your body has adjusted to the stress so that you don't have to think about it anymore. This isn't a good thing. :ohwell:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    OP: Many women have the same experience as you. Do what works for you. A group for short, petite women was formed recently,and most of them have to eat around 1200 to lose weight. Whatever your size, you might consider joining.

Haters gonna hate and the stupid and uninformed will remain stupid and uninformed. Are you going to let them interfere with your attainment of your goals?
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    as if i have sat reading all of this.
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    What is the point of this thread?

Ok so you are 400 cals under your maintenance. That is good.

You are referring to people eating 1200 cals when their maintenance is 2500.

????
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I barely ever get to 1200 calories a day and im never hungry I feel like I have to force myself to eat that much... it depends on the person :)

Not being hungry on less than 1200 a day is a sign that your metabolism is in crawling mode. Ever hear of the hormone leptin? You might want to Google it. Your body has adjusted to the stress so that you don't have to think about it anymore. This isn't a good thing. :ohwell:

Why don't you try Googling Intermittent Fasting? Or watch a program on fasting by Michael Moseley that ran on the BBC and PBS. He's a medical doctor and interviews researchers who have studied the effects of fasting.

We are designed not to get hungry after missing a meal or two. Primitive human beings would never have been able to hunt and gather food if they weren't able to survive for long periods without nourishment. The current theory is that we eat too often and that giving our system a rest from constant digestion is good for our hormonal and immune systems.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Very negative!! I thought this was a site where people support each other... wow.

Hmmm....is it being supportive to tell someone, "Way to go on destroying your body's metabolic functions! Woot!"

I had to comment .. I read it after my first initial reply...
    I agree.. People are going to make their own life choices and then they will live with the results of those choices.... But I am asking you to not get upset at others especially if you have ask them a question.. or posted a topic into the community.. when you get their answers! Its not typical of anyone on here to give advice that will destroy your body... Just as if someone may tell you you need to cut out the pop.. and other treats... they may give the advice that your not eating enough.. therefore starving your body which will give quick results for a while... but after your done dieting and you go back to try and maintain... it may pose problems... and we all know.. some people are small enough.. have little activity and maybe even no exercise and only need 1200 calories... But is that really the majority? I don't think so~!

Right. When I think of people asking for support for things like this, it seems like rationalization. Can you imagine if someone put up a post that said, "I snort cocaine daily, and it's working for me!" And then they expect the community to just say, "Hey, whatever works! Good luck in your journey!"

People can do what they want, it's their body, not mine. But they shouldn't expect the rest of the community to be supportive when they are potentially harming themselves.

And yes, there are a *few* people for whom 1200ish calories makes sense. But those ladies are the exception, not the rule. For most, eating like that for a long period of time is not much healthier than snorting cocaine. It may "feel right" at the time because the damage doesn't become obvious right away.
  • JaxDemon
    Options

Why don't you try Googling Intermittent Fasting? Or watch a program on fasting by Michael Moseley that ran on the BBC and PBS. He's a medical doctor and interviews researchers who have studied the effects of fasting.

We are designed not to get hungry after missing a meal or two. Primitive human beings would never have been able to hunt and gather food if they weren't able to survive for long periods without nourishment. The current theory is that we eat too often and that giving our system a rest from constant digestion is good for our hormonal and immune systems.

Or take a look at this http://doubleyourgains.com/musclebuildingmastermind/The_Leangains_Approach_Final.pdf
  • JaxDemon
    Options
    OP do you have a cheat meal once a week? Will be an good idea to do so to throw your body off getting used to low cals all the time.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

IF is great! It's not damaging at all. Never claimed it was. IF is about calorie cycling though. Missing a meal or two one day and making up for it on another day is *NOT* *at all* the same as eating at a 1000+ calorie deficit for a *long* period of time.

I fast for a meal or two sometimes on the weekends. I still end up with an *average* per day of 2000ish.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

*sigh*

chronic <> acute

And while the post to which you were replying was not specific, I believe it is safe to assume they meant chronic (since that's the more commonly discussed issue here).
    OP do you have a cheat meal once a week? Will be an good idea to do so to throw your body off getting used to low cals all the time.

Did you even *read* OP's OP?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP: Many women have the same experience as you. Do what works for you. A group for short, petite women was formed recently,and most of them have to eat around 1200 to lose weight. Whatever your size, you might consider joining.

Haters gonna hate and the stupid and uninformed will remain stupid and uninformed. Are you going to let them interfere with your attainment of your goals?

And...

...I'm out.
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1200 as a base limit. Eat back all your exercise calories. I don't know why this infuriates people so much.

Edit - if your TDEE is 1700, of course. If it's higher, your base limit should be higher too.
  • Doone33
    Options
    What is the point of this thread?

Ok so you are 400 cals under your maintenance. That is good.

You are referring to people eating 1200 cals when their maintenance is 2500.

????

After I replied a couple of times... LOL.. I too had to ask myself... Was this post originally just a rant post? Or was the original post a question that they truly wanted some of the communities ideas?? I have learned a lot of people just want you to say.. GO ahead.. do what you want.. your right in doing it! .. Constructive criticism is not taken well by everyone! LOL