Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

And yes, there are a *few* people for whom 1200ish calories makes sense. But those ladies are the exception, not the rule.

The OP is 5'2." Most of the women in the forum who insist that they have to be at 1200 or less are 5'2" or shorter. The average height for a woman in the U.S. is still only slightly more than 5'4". In any event, 1200 is nowhere near a Very Low Calorie Diet. I wouldn't recommend doing it without medical supervision, but there are healthy people who are on Calorie Restriction (CR) diets who eat no more than 500 calories a day.
  • rowrunyoga
    rowrunyoga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate
    Lovers gonna love
    I don't even want none of the above
    I wanna........

Drip drip drip....

:laugh:
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Very negative!! I thought this was a site where people support each other... wow.

Hmmm....is it being supportive to tell someone, "Way to go on destroying your body's metabolic functions! Woot!"

I had to comment .. I read it after my first initial reply...
    I agree.. People are going to make their own life choices and then they will live with the results of those choices.... But I am asking you to not get upset at others especially if you have ask them a question.. or posted a topic into the community.. when you get their answers! Its not typical of anyone on here to give advice that will destroy your body... Just as if someone may tell you you need to cut out the pop.. and other treats... they may give the advice that your not eating enough.. therefore starving your body which will give quick results for a while... but after your done dieting and you go back to try and maintain... it may pose problems... and we all know.. some people are small enough.. have little activity and maybe even no exercise and only need 1200 calories... But is that really the majority? I don't think so~!

Right. When I think of people asking for support for things like this, it seems like rationalization. Can you imagine if someone put up a post that said, "I snort cocaine daily, and it's working for me!" And then they expect the community to just say, "Hey, whatever works! Good luck in your journey!"

People can do what they want, it's their body, not mine. But they shouldn't expect the rest of the community to be supportive when they are potentially harming themselves.

And yes, there are a *few* people for whom 1200ish calories makes sense. But those ladies are the exception, not the rule. For most, eating like that for a long period of time is not much healthier than snorting cocaine. It may "feel right" at the time because the damage doesn't become obvious right away.

Go Ahead.. do it your way.. LOL... Had a co-worker who used a prescription to loose weight.. the prescription was originally given to someone I didn't ever meet... that was for the dude to stop heroin... But hey.. it worked... she lost 80 pounds.. kept it off for over 3 years.... I don't know where she is now... and if that's your mind set... Any way is a good way... then please I will accept that we have different points of view.. you take your road.. I will take mine!
  • JamesParsons7
    Options
    the only things whilst cutting you should pay attention to is

-dont cheat
    -keep going
    -if you give up all the work you have done so far is for nothing

other than that do what you want
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is the biggest pile of bullcrap I've ever seen. Science has proven that you can fast safely for 4 days with no effects to your metabolism and not only that it has other health benefits. This is why programs such as LeanGains and EatStopEat are working wonders for many people.

The amount of uneducated people on here is unreal.

*sigh*

chronic <> acute

And while the post to which you were replying was not specific, I believe it is safe to assume they meant chronic (since that's the more commonly discussed issue here).
    OP do you have a cheat meal once a week? Will be an good idea to do so to throw your body off getting used to low cals all the time.

Did you even *read* OP's OP?

Yes I did thanks. Her BRM is 1600, She's eating 400 below that not the normal 500. If she's worried about her metabolism going slower over time on that amount of cals then a cheat meal each week to kick her leptin levels back up so as to avoid the intense physical hunger and the slowed-to-a-crawl metabolism will help.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    your right everybody has their own calorie requirements...
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

I've noticed that none of the people who are complaining about criticisms of 1200 and saying "people don't read the topic" have actually responded to my post asking who they have helped or what advice they have given to anyone who is asking "help I'm not losing on 1200." Is it because those people don't actually help anyone, or that they don't read the topic themselves and never saw that post?

I'm no expert, but I might advise to eat at maintenance for a few days/week to give a kick to the scale moving down again once you go back to 1200. That has worked well for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

And yes, there are a *few* people for whom 1200ish calories makes sense. But those ladies are the exception, not the rule.

The OP is 5'2." Most of the women in the forum who insist that they have to be at 1200 or less are 5'2" or shorter. The average height for a woman in the U.S. is still only slightly more than 5'4". In any event, 1200 is nowhere near a Very Low Calorie Diet. I wouldn't recommend doing it without medical supervision, but there are healthy people who are on Calorie Restriction (CR) diets who eat no more than 500 calories a day.

Height is only one small factor in determining energy expenditure. The difference between a 5'4" woman and a 5'2" woman in terms of energy expenditure is tiny. I'm 5'4" myself. Lifestyle is a much bigger indicator.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and not very active. If I exercise I typically eat a little more. I've lost some weight and I don't feel like I'm starving at all. In fact, I feel better. Before, I was eating probably more than 2000 a day. The 1200 calorie calculation is fine for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is the biggest pile of bullcrap I've ever seen. Science has proven that you can fast safely for 4 days with no effects to your metabolism and not only that it has other health benefits. This is why programs such as LeanGains and EatStopEat are working wonders for many people.

*sigh*

chronic <> acute

And while the post to which you were replying was not specific, I believe it is safe to assume they meant chronic (since that's the more commonly discussed issue here).
    OP do you have a cheat meal once a week? Will be an good idea to do so to throw your body off getting used to low cals all the time.

Yes I did thanks. Her BRM is 1600, She's eating 400 below that not the normal 500. If she's worried about her metabolism going slower over time on that amount of cals then a cheat meal each week to kick her leptin levels back up so as to avoid the intense physical hunger and the slowed-to-a-crawl metabolism will help.

You don't cut from your BMR. You cut from your TDEE. If her BMR is 1600 and she is *sedentary* and does no exercise at all, then her TDEE would be roughly 1920, which means a 400 calorie cut would put her at 1520, which is a reasonable amount for a sedentary woman to lose weight. If she is exercising, then she will need even more.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    She said her TDEE is 1700, and she eats 1100-1200 a day.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options

*sigh*

chronic <> acute

You don't cut from your BMR. You cut from your TDEE. If her BMR is 1600 and she is *sedentary* and does no exercise at all, then her TDEE would be roughly 1920, which means a 400 calorie cut would put her at 1520, which is a reasonable amount for a sedentary woman to lose weight. If she is exercising, then she will need even more.

Her TDEE is 1600, She's eating 1200.

If you gonna calculate what you should be eating calorie wise then it best to do it properly

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

This site uses Mifflin-St Jeor equations to estimate your BMR. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.

That is from that link.
  • strick1982
    Options
    the only things whilst cutting you should pay attention to is

-dont cheat
    -keep going
    -if you give up all the work you have done so far is for nothing

other than that do what you want

Sound advice.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

*sigh*

chronic <> acute

Her TDEE is 1600, She's eating 1200.

If you gonna calculate what you should be eating calorie wise then it best to do it properly

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

This site uses Mifflin-St Jeor equations to estimate your BMR. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.

That is from that link.

For me, MFP underestimated. All the online calculators had mine way underestimated. The best course is to eat the highest amount of calories estimated, then cut further if needed. Experience is the best way to determine TDEE.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Actually your TDEE is 2168 assuming you sit for 24 hours each day which I am sure you are not doing. Maybe you should recalculate? Your BMR is close to 1500 so truly you are under eating. Are you eating back exercise calories?

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

WOW! That calculators over-estimated my TDEE by more than 1000 calories. It said TDEE was > 3300 calories. I maintain on just under 2000.

Doesn't over estimate mine. You must not be doing it right.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

And yes, there are a *few* people for whom 1200ish calories makes sense. But those ladies are the exception, not the rule. For most, eating like that for a long period of time is not much healthier than snorting cocaine.

God, I love MFP. Only here can a very normal, healthy amount of calories for a woman be compared to snorting cocaine.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Actually your TDEE is 2168 assuming you sit for 24 hours each day which I am sure you are not doing. Maybe you should recalculate? Your BMR is close to 1500 so truly you are under eating. Are you eating back exercise calories?

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

WOW! That calculators over-estimated my TDEE by more than 1000 calories. It said TDEE was > 3300 calories. I maintain on just under 2000.

Doesn't over estimate mine. You must not be doing it right.

Yes, of course. After a full year of enjoying success, it turns out that I don't know how tall I am. :laugh:

ETA:

ALL of the online calculators and the formulas on which they are based are *estimates* and not an exact number for every person. I do believe that mine was grossly underestimated because I have a higher-than-normal LBM for a woman of my age and weight. It's hard to say for sure, but just because a calculator works well for one person doesn't mean it is completely accurate for everyone.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Not trying to be funny but wondering if you lost 100 why your ticker says 25lbs lost.
  • smalls9686
    Options
    I'm 5"0' & eat 1000-1400 (goal 1200) calories a day & I'm full at the end of the day. I change my calorie intake daily & workout 3 days a week. I don't think 1200 is slowing my metabolism or putting me into starvation mode. My doctor & dietician agrees as well.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!!!
    I am 5'1 My Doc and Dietician also have me aiming for no less than 1000 with the goal of 1200 more depending on my activity level. I'd say if I am really active I am more like 1300-1400. But if I am hungry I eat. I make sure I have a good balanced snack 150-200 calories (fat/car/protein) before a hard work out and I get in 20-30 grams of protein after if it was something that really taxed my muscles other than that I don't deprive myself I eat what I want all in moderation and get my exercise in. I focus on keeping my heart rate in my target fat burning zone and am still averaging a 2.3lb a week loss I'm cool with that =-)
  • smalls9686
    Options
    It's just weird to me all the people who say they can't eat well at 1200 calories. Now 1. I don'r complain about being hungry, tired, or bored at my caloried let's get that straight first! LOL!

But seriously my diary is open I eat just fine, now I eat miore 1200 on some day (especioally on days I work out heavY) but I also plan for days I am going to really have something way out there...Like I am going out with my friends drinking. I will burn a couple hundred calories the the couple days before and then really burn extra on that day...then when I go out I don't worry at all because I planned for it. No big deal. But I find if you aren't eating a lot of processed food and you are cokking 1200 calories goes plenty far...to me. But to each his/her own...if it's working keep doing it...if it;s NOT WORKING than don't complain try soemthing different!