Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 1200 but I try to not go BELOW 1200.

But you are young...have a faster metabolism..don't have to think about menopause or muscle loss due to age....or diabetes, like me. You can afford to eat a little more. You certainly dont have to, but I envy you that you COULD.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    True. Although I know a lot of posts come more from the fact that there are a lot of people (men and women) who will jump straight down to 1200 calories even if based on stats (BF%, Height, weight, gender) and exercise say that they could/should eat more. I've seen posts from people eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day (no more than 1200) and exercising insane amounts. I think it is fair to warn those people of the damage they might cause their bodies, but I also try to be nice about it.

If I didn't do any exercise all day, just sat on my butt, then I would want to eat at around 1200 calories. I know this because on my extremely lazy days, my fitbit only gives me a calorie burn of about 1780 or so for the whole day.

The fact that I am active (even being 5'4.5") and that exercise increases TDEE numbers, means that some days I can eat 2000 + calories and still be in a deficit. So, I know you were probably just ranting/exaggerating, but you really don't have to be 6'2" to eat over 2000 calories a day. Statements like that are what lead short women to believe that they have to eat 1200 to lose weight, when in reality there are a lot of factors that determine the amount of calories a person needs per day. Amount of muscle mass plays a role in this as well (more muscle = higher TDEE).

Absolutely.

My "rant" is for people who do not read all the facts and give the speech. like I said, it always depends !

So this really isn't about 1200 but about reading comprehension.

Do you have a link to this offensive post?

Nope, I saw it like a month ago and didn't write in in, but I've been on and off MFP for 1.2 years and have seen many of them.

Like I said, I agree some people (and most) shouldn't eat 1200, but it all depends on the person height, weight, work outs, active lifestyle
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think if 2000+ is working, then good for you & if 1200-1400 is working, then good for you. Everyone's body works differently & our exercise levels are all different. I hope we all lose weight & feel great.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No one hates you for eating 1200 calories. Often times this "hate" is actually someone offering sound advice that 1200 calories can be a difficult diet to make healthy. It doesn't allow for many foods beyond nutrient dense ones. Also, a lot of people that choose 1200 calories diets don't need to eat that low in order to lose weight thus making their progress towards their goal weight harder than it needs to be.

You're not a victim if people point out these facts. Those people are not haters if they point out these facts. Stop with the overwrought, everyone is mean/persecution complex accusations.
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I agree with you that people need to read the posts carefully before responding. People's responses should be thoughtful. However, I personally am grateful that people have pointed out this whole thing about not eating enough. It has already been tremendously helpful to me and as I make changes to my diet to eat more, I am finding that things are happening just as they predicted.
  • tannas25
    tannas25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @Taliasmommy78
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Here's a great calculator to figure out how much to eat for your body. I'm new too and someone posted this and it helped.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No one hates you for eating 1200 calories. Often times this "hate" is actually someone offering sound advice that 1200 calories can be a difficult diet to make healthy. It doesn't allow for many foods beyond nutrient dense ones. Also, a lot of people that choose 1200 calories diets don't need to eat that low in order to lose weight thus making their progress towards their goal weight harder than it needs to be.

You're not a victim if people point out these facts. Those people are not haters if they point out these facts. Stop with the overwrought, everyone is mean/persecution complex accusations.

Nope, I have no persecution complex. Tittle of the topic was to get the attention of people who constantly make the 1200 comments, I do not feel hate when they advice me things, I appreciate it.

Topic was on people who give the speech and don't even bother to read the whole topic before responding.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    This was obviously an inciteful post. You wanted reactions. Maybe a bit of trolling on a boring night?
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Vegitarian here let me tell you eatting 1200 calories a day is real easy when you only eat Veggies and small amounts of dairy, its not all that bad :).
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    agree 100% with you. I use a wheelchair, if I fully ate 1200 every day, I'd be heavier than I am. Onward!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I agree, sometimes people are really mean on the posts and it surprises me that people are saying it's not so. I do not lose weight if I eat over 1200. I've tried it, and really given it a fair shake. I only gain weight if I eat more. I've had people jump my shizz for saying that. I've been on here over four years. I've seen it a lot.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    While I agree with you in principal, I believe the tone of your post will spark all sorts of tangents that will likely leave the point of your post lost on many.

:flowerforyou:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

I am 4'9.5" tall, I have thyroid issues,,, I eat between 1500 - 1700 calories a day and I have a VERY sedentary job. I and still lose weight - granted I fell off the wagon and gained my weight back because I was lazy and am re-losing but nothing has changed in the amount I eat.

I never figured out my TDEE but I am pretty sure it is no where near 2400. In my opinion 1200 calories works for a while but in the long run it doesn't.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.

I think you communicate very well - better than most of the native English speakers around here! :flowerforyou:

I agree!
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    True. Although I know a lot of posts come more from the fact that there are a lot of people (men and women) who will jump straight down to 1200 calories even if based on stats (BF%, Height, weight, gender) and exercise say that they could/should eat more. I've seen posts from people eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day (no more than 1200) and exercising insane amounts. I think it is fair to warn those people of the damage they might cause their bodies, but I also try to be nice about it.

If I didn't do any exercise all day, just sat on my butt, then I would want to eat at around 1200 calories. I know this because on my extremely lazy days, my fitbit only gives me a calorie burn of about 1780 or so for the whole day.

The fact that I am active (even being 5'4.5") and that exercise increases TDEE numbers, means that some days I can eat 2000 + calories and still be in a deficit. So, I know you were probably just ranting/exaggerating, but you really don't have to be 6'2" to eat over 2000 calories a day. Statements like that are what lead short women to believe that they have to eat 1200 to lose weight, when in reality there are a lot of factors that determine the amount of calories a person needs per day. Amount of muscle mass plays a role in this as well (more muscle = higher BMR).

edit: I also think the whole "starvation mode" is a very misused term on MFP. There are points where if you aren't eating enough, you can actually cause numerous health problems, but it's like less than 1000 calories everyday for at least 4 weeks. I also don't believe in the magical fat storing when eating less than 1200 calories. Although depending on what your BMR/TDEE is your metabolism could slow from to large of a deficit overtime (months) to match your intake, but this is just your body adapting to what it is being given.

I have a question for you: I just ordered a fitbit and would like to know if you adjust your calories every day according to how much activity you have or if you can also take a week's average and eat your daily calories accordingly.
  • BIW2012
    BIW2012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1300 calories a day and I often dart my eyes away from threads that tell me I shouldn't be eating so little - I'm scared of eating more!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.
    Nope, but not all of us have a 1700 TDEE either - in fact most of the people I post to or talk with don't - it's much higher.

I'm 45, 5'8" 136 lbs or so at the moment - I have had my best success at losing the fat by eating 1800-1900 cals a day, a 15-20% cut from my TDEE. I tell those who are eating 1200 and complaining about being tired, hungry, burnt out, and not losing that their issue is likely due to under eating. No hating. No judgement. I've been there (on the 1200 train). It sucks. Why eat so little when you don't have to - especially when you're not getting results?

And yes, I do ask people their stats if they don't post them at the start, because of course we're not all the same, and different sizes, shapes, ages, circumstances all result in different numbers.

But as others have said, very very often it's a case of someone entering the maximum loss goal of 2lbs a week when they only have 20-30 lbs to lose, and MFP spits out the 1200 goal, which just isn't enough.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Of the people who complain about this, how much of your own time have you spent giving helpful advice to people in "help I'm eating 1200 and not losing" threads? And what was the advice you gave them to help them get back to losing weight?
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No hatin' here, just wanted to add that anyone can eat more if they move more. As long as I am able I would rather get up off of it and be able to eat more. I could not live very well on 1200 calories a day!