Anybody going vegan or vegetarian besides me? :)

Options
Truth is, I can't digest meat very well, never could. And every time I eat meat I get this blah "want to go to bed" feeling. After reading an article about Bill Clinton going vegan I decided to try it JUST THIS WEEK and see how it goes. Anybody else willing to give it a shot? It's not so bad so far. And you are NEVER hungry. That's the great part! I would welcome any ideas, recipes, etc! Thanks

Mary (in Louisiana - where there is plenty of seafood) :smile:

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Nope. Just you.
    Kidding. Look in the groups section here. Lots of veg. and vegans here. I'm just not one.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just made the transition a few weeks ago :) Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost two years now. Good on you for deciding to give it a go! Feel free to add me and exchange tips :)
  • noos2mee2
    noos2mee2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have adopted the vegan before 6:00 p.m. way of eating (basically I do not eat any meat or dairy for breakfast or lunch, but can eat some for dinner if I choose to do so) in order to cut back on how much meat and dairy I have been eating, which I am hoping is going to lead to some weight loss by cutting back on calories. I like a variety of different foods so it has been fairly easy so far. Feel free to send me a friend request. :-)
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a few years. Feel free to add me if you want recipes.
  • Irishmaggie
    Irishmaggie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should watch Forks Over Knives a great film on a plant based diet. I still eat meat, eggs & seafood but I do a lot of meatless meals and have upped my fruit & veggie intake. I feel great. Plus the fiber alone is helpful to losing weight
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    You HAVE to get Appetite for Reduction - best book for cheap, low fat vegan recipes. The author also has a brilliant website, The Post Punk Kitchen which you should check out, too.

I was vegan for a couple of months just gone and LOVED it - London is such an easy place to be vegan. Slipped off the wagon when my back gave out (physically couldn't stand up long enough to cook vegan food!) and never got back on, but I do plan to do it 6 months out of every year.

Good luck! x
  • Crzymommyof2
    Options
    I stopped eating meat like 4 months ago and I feel so much better :) I still eat fish and shrimp and I could never think of giving up my cheese or dairy but its the best thing iv done for myself in a long time!
  • kitfulofstarling
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for some time and now slowly leaving cheese, that it is the most difficult for me :). Feel free to add me as well. I do not eat meat, fish, seafood, and milk. Still have yogurt, cheese and eggs, but only from my parent's hens!
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    While I'm not completely vegetarian or vegan, I'm making moves in that direction. I find I stay fuller for a longer amount of time.

I went totally vegan for about three months last year. The only trouble I had was I was so tired all the freaking time. I just could not shake it. However, I'm going to try again and see how it goes. This time I'm going for a longer transition instead of stopping completely.
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself plant based. I still have eggs and cheese in the fridge that I eat and I buy fish once in a while.

I didn't ween from meat on purpose; it just sort of happened. After watching Food Inc, I would only eat organic grass fed meat or organic free roaming chicken, but eventually I just sort of stopped because I didn't crave it or feel I was missing anything from my meals. And well, cows are cute.

I follow Happy Herbivore on Facebook and my partner got a few of these seven day meal plans to get a grocery list and recipe ideas. I love how we don't really have to think about what we are going to eat. It is just laid out. Some of the recipes are better than others and some need some tweaking to meet individual tastes, but it is a good baseline.

https://www.getmealplans.com/
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescatarian for about 5 years and am now slowly cutting out dairy. I had no idea milk was in so many things!! It's been a tough journey but one I'm determined to make.
  • Giovanna_Isabella_Santarelli
    Options
    I am vegetarian and slowly trying to make the transformation to vegan... I've been a vegetarian for two years now and feel great, also feel much healthier...

Add me if you like... :)
  • toukofukawa
    Options
    i've been vegetarian since i was two years old! i just can't stand the texture or taste of meat. could never go vegan though. can't live without my cheese! lol. the only meat i'll occasionally eat is bacon (it has to be made perfectly though. could never find a restaurant that makes it how i like it.) but even that is only once a month or so.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Truth is, I can't digest meat very well, never could. And every time I eat meat I get this blah "want to go to bed" feeling. After reading an article about Bill Clinton going vegan I decided to try it JUST THIS WEEK and see how it goes. Anybody else willing to give it a shot? It's not so bad so far. And you are NEVER hungry. That's the great part! I would welcome any ideas, recipes, etc! Thanks

Mary (in Louisiana - where there is plenty of seafood) :smile:

Nothing wrong with doing this, but it made me fat since I focused on carbs and cheese...and you can't eat seafood as a vegetarian or vegan. Fish is meat. If you eat just fish that's called being a pescetarian.
  • irishgator1
    Options
    I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 19 years and while my husband is an omnivore, we're raising our kids as vegetarians as well. I have two recipes I like that that are pretty easy to make.

1. Navy bean (or other white bean of your choosing) soup. Basically sautee onions in olive oil and then add rinsed beans and some veggie stock and pepper. After that gets going, throw in fresh spinach. My husband likes to eat in with some sweet relish thrown in (it's not bad, actually). We usually pair it with some cornbread.

2. Eggplant tart- sautee diced eggplant in garlic and olive oil; salt and pepper it. Chop up roma tomatoes after having seeded them (you don't have to seed them but it makes the tart less watery) and put on bottom of pie crust. Add eggplant and put smoked Gouda or chevre on top. Add thyme and pinenuts. Bake at 375 until done. We don't use pinenuts b/c of nut allergies anymore but it's still tasty without.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Vegan in training here--doing the Eat to Live plan by Joel Fuhrman, I was vegan for about 2 years in my early 20s, but I was proof that you can still have a junk food diet with no animal products, so I'm trying again with a new approach. Feel free to friend me. :)
  • ThehungryveganUK
    Options
    Vegan here 100% No meat, dairy, honey, eggs, and no regrets! :happy:
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost three years, trying to become vegan but proving to be difficult -.- lol I like dairy alot, but I'm slowly substituting things here and there. For me it's just a financial thing. I don't buy my own food or anything right now so I just do with what I can. But I find it fairly easy. I quit all meats cold turkey. I think it's easier to shop online for alot of the vegetarian/vegan substitute foods than to buy it in stores.
  • lisa8x9
    lisa8x9 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been vegan for about 2 months. It was a little difficult at first (especially as a college student), but I'm so happy I did it! And now that I've learned how to pay attention to labels, it's so much easier than I thought it would be (besides, it's amazing what so many people eat, but they don't realize because they don't read labels!). I feel so much better now, and I recommend it to everyone.