Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    wow.. op sounds angry. maybe she's hungry. lol

i really don't get her point. so she's short and little and her natural calorie deficit is 1200 and ...why does that matter?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I read the topic and the topic sucks.

Oh, the topic police are out in force today.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I feel the reason that people demonise 1200 calories isn't because you won't lose weight, you can and you WILL, but there is a high risk of you gaining all of your weight back when you start eating normally again.

Also, at a low level of calories like that, you will lose muscle and your metabolism will drop. I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight on 1200 cals but don't feel any better because they are just a smaller version of themselves, with no muscle tone, and still seem 'flabby'.

I learnt the hard way that 1200 calories didn't work for me, but I fully empathise with what you're saying as the negativity and criticism made me feel that the TDEE-advocates on here were unapproachable and that I didn't want to ask for help on the forums as a result. If people were less judgemental and more helpful, we wouldn't feel 'shamed' for eating 1200 calories.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    I think the biggest issue is that people assume that whatever works for them, has to work for everyone else. Dieting is trial and error. You cant jump in blindly and eat a certain way because someone tells you to. You have to educate yourself on nutrition and see what works for you. As long as someone isn't 6'2, running marathons and trying to survive on 1200 calories a day, let them be.

On that note, I personally don't eat under 1,200 calories a day on a regular basis. I do, however, eat under 1,200 once or twice a week, especially when I've gone over my 1,500 calorie limit on previous days.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE at sedentary level is 1771, -20% makes it 1416 plus you should be eating your exercise calories back. It's called math.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

To lose 1lb a week requires a daily 500 calorie deficit though, which would be 1271.

No.
    The -20% is for weight loss. 1771 is maintenance.
  • evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    they hate because they cant stick to it. then blame it on thyroid haha
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Actually your TDEE is 2168 assuming you sit for 24 hours each day which I am sure you are not doing. Maybe you should recalculate? Your BMR is close to 1500 so truly you are under eating. Are you eating back exercise calories?

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

WOW! That calculators over-estimated my TDEE by more than 1000 calories. It said TDEE was > 3300 calories. I maintain on just under 2000.

Yeah, that is the problem with relying on on-line calculators. They only give an approximation, and don't take in consideration all the other factors that determine your actual TDEE. When I was at my highest weight of 237, that calculator said my sedentary TDEE was over 2500. I guess I am just a special snowflake when I was gaining on 1800-2000.

Just because you weigh more, doesn't mean your TDEE is that much more. Body comp makes a big difference. As well as hormone levels, activity, and genetics.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

I'm a girl, only 5'8 and have a TDEE of 2600. :wink:

A 400 calorie deficit of 1600 is 25%!!!! That's a very aggressive deficit and should be reserved for obese individuals. You're better off taking a smaller cut of 10-15%.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This thread is still stupid.

Nothing has changed in the past 10 minutes, except more people have put their two cents into a pot that should be empty.

Let her have her imaginary haters.
    Yes, this guy.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day, and I have lost 61 lbs since 1/14/13, So it works for me.. I agree with you, everyone is different, and what works for one , may no work for another..
  • annesmallwood9
    Options
    And apparently you didn't read what she was saying in her post to READ posts... "My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do."
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE at sedentary level is 1771, -20% makes it 1416 plus you should be eating your exercise calories back. It's called math.

To lose 1lb a week requires a daily 500 calorie deficit though, which would be 1271.

No.

Do you not realize that this site is built around the calorie deficit plan and not the -20% plan?
    To lose 1 lb a week, you need a 500 cal deficit. 1771 maintenance, would be 1271 to lose 1 lb per week.

It's called math.
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Each to their own pet but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You don't want an opinion, don't post on a public forum. Pretty simple really.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Eat what is right for you, no one else knows what is best for you.

I have no idea why others like to get so stressed about other people's diets, but all I can say is, they are not worth the attention. :flowerforyou:

If this were true people wouldn't get overweight in the first place. There is always a chance somebody does know what's best for you, because they have done it successfully.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. People don't read the topics. Once they see the 1200 calories they give an immeadiate speech about it without reading anything else.

I repeat, I eat at a 400 calorie deficit. That will not make my metabolism to commit suicide. Good for you, you can eat 1700 and lose weight, my TDEE is 1700.
    I've noticed that none of the people who are complaining about criticisms of 1200 and saying "people don't read the topic" have actually responded to my post asking who they have helped or what advice they have given to anyone who is asking "help I'm not losing on 1200." Is it because those people don't actually help anyone, or that they don't read the topic themselves and never saw that post?
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

No.

The rate I want to lose is 1lb a week though, which is why I keep the 500 deficit and eat 1200 (and eat back all exercise calories of course).
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I happen to think she is right though. I'm 5'-0" and I can do perfectly ok on a 1200 calories diet and lose weight the healthy way still. However, when I feel like I've dropped too much I up my calories back up to 1500 to maintain. It all depends on your body and how active you are I guess. If 1700 works for you then more power to you. Wish I could eat that much on a daily basis, but if I try I feel really bloated.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    And....
    many times the OP does not provide enough information for appropriate advice/suggestions etc. but receive a ton of advice anyway. When those that do read and comprehend the OP and ask questions for additional information so appropriate suggestions can be made, get ignored because the OP just wants confirmation that eating 1200 calories is the right goal.