I WANT A SODA

Options

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners confuse your body and make it store fat. Have a can of regular pop if you want one. I have a can of coke every day! It makes me happy :)

Sweeteners will not confuse your body and make it store fat unless you are in a calorie surplus.

Eating at a deficit and drinking diet pops daily will not make you gain weight. Something that has 0 calories will not cause you to gain fat.

There is far too much crap out there regarding sweeteners. Nothing has yet to be proven unless you are a rat consuming extremely large quantities a day.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    A-If you go through the rest of your life and die without ever having had another soda, what will you have accomplished?

And 2-
    Uh huh, I see. Well you do seem to hold very strong opinions on some things and you state those opinions as facts in an extremely large number of topics and threads I've seen. As well, your opinions (posted as facts) seem to be controversial to some, so some background on your expertise and/or reasons as to why you hold these opinions could add to (or possible detract from) your credibility.
    Sorry but whether or not artificial sweeteners cause the body to store extra fat is not a matter of opinion. There is no evidence to show that such a thing actually happens. Because science.

I see.

I have some beautiful lake property in Florida that is an excellent deal you might be interested in.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think you should just have a diet soda. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with them. They have no calories. However, if you want to drink them just in moderation, make sure you drink lots of water. If you aren't super thirsty they won't sound so good. I've cut back from maybe six a day to one or two, not on purpose really, but just because after I drink water I just don't really want them that much.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners confuse your body and make it store fat.

BadScience.png
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Have one! If it fits into your calories then have it. Weight loss is calories in vs calories out...that's it.

Edited to say...STAY AWAY FROM DIET THOUGH!!! HAVE A REAL ONE!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners confuse your body and make it store fat. Have a can of regular pop if you want one. I have a can of coke every day! It makes me happy :)

Sweeteners will not confuse your body and make it store fat unless you are in a calorie surplus.

Eating at a deficit and drinking diet pops daily will not make you gain weight. Something that has 0 calories will not cause you to gain fat.

There is far too much crap out there regarding sweeteners. Nothing has yet to be proven unless you are a rat consuming extremely large quantities a day.

There are a number of studies, as well as opinions on those studies.

Your response that 'nothing has yet to be proven' may be accurate. However, that goes both ways. Therefore, if someone comes to a thread and posts as a fact, as if it has been disproven, they should be prepared to have someone ask for an explanation.

As well, many things in life are not proven. Look at criminal trials. Unless you were there, you don't know for sure what happened. The best one can do is listen to the evidence (some of which, or all of which, may be circumstantial) and form an opinion on what happened.

We do this in real life too, not just with food, and there is nothing inherently wrong with it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A-If you go through the rest of your life and die without ever having had another soda, what will you have accomplished?

And 2-
    Uh huh, I see. Well you do seem to hold very strong opinions on some things and you state those opinions as facts in an extremely large number of topics and threads I've seen. As well, your opinions (posted as facts) seem to be controversial to some, so some background on your expertise and/or reasons as to why you hold these opinions could add to (or possible detract from) your credibility.
    Sorry but whether or not artificial sweeteners cause the body to store extra fat is not a matter of opinion. There is no evidence to show that such a thing actually happens. Because science.

Yep. This.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I always do the 15 minute distraction thing. Then I enter it into MFP and see how many calories etc I giving up for my craving. If it uses up too much for the day I delete it and I know that I am that much stronger. I'd rather have a full and healthy meal that lose that many calories to something unhealthy and unfilling.

BUT if I must have it I log it and live with the consequences and I don't starve myself for the rest of the day - I still eat the healthy dinner and am over my calories for the day. At the end of the day I look back on my choices and decide if it was worth it and I think of that next time I crave it.
  • ddoeren84
    Options
    Theres a ton of fighting going on in this thread. Big shock! Everyone should read this article. http://www.businessinsider.com/diet-soda-may-not-be-any-better-for-you-2013-7

It basically says that people who drink a lot of diet sodas encounter the same problems as those who drink regular soda and that fake sugars can trick the body into thinking it is getting energy when it is no and the body can become inefficient at metabolizing actual sugar because of it.

As with many things in science it hasn't been conclusively proven but it is worth a look.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

And 2-

I see.

I have some beautiful lake property in Florida that is an excellent deal you might be interested in.
    That wouldn't work either, because I'm interested in evidence, of which you have none.

Otherwise produce the evidence. I'm not talking about an article where someone describes a hypothesis that it might happen. I'm talking about evidence that it does actually happen.
  • elaanne
    elaanne Posts: 35
    Options
    I saw that Coke is now making mini cans of many of their products - could you find something like that, and enjoy a smaller serving size?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I used to love soda, now I may have a sip of someone elses can if they have one, just to remind myself how vile the crap is.

Cancer in a can, IMO.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am trying to decide if it's okay to have ONE CAN of soda today to get it out of my system or just deal with the craving.
    It depends entirely on you. I gave up cokes years ago but I still have one every now and then and it doesn't derail me. You could put it off a day and see if the craving goes away.

What I did when I was giving up cokes is say 'I can have one on friday' and then have one on friday. Eventually I didn't want them anymore and just stopped having the one a week. I do think drinking the diet ones can keep that craving alive, or create a separate one. I usually just drink water, unsweet tea and coffee.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, just have a soda. Log it and move on. I've found if I deprive myself, I just binge later on other crap that is even worse for me. Chances are that soda won't even taste as good as it used to because it's been so long.

^^^This^^^

I too have an addictive personality and I love Diet Coke!

I have two a day, and log them both. Your diet/routine have to be realistic and sustainable or you take the risk of jumping back on to the roller coaster. I also drink a ton of water. To break the monotony of water, I use low calorie flavor packets (log those too).
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    why cant you drink a diet soda? i drink some everyday
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everyone else's response but for me once I quit and tried one again months later it tasted like a sugary syrup and was gross to me. Maybe it will do the same with you.
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Can you split a can with someone, or save part of it for later? We like a huckleberry soda that comes in 12 oz bottles and is kind of expensive ($1.69 each). So the last two times, I've had 4 ounces and my hubby has drunk the other 8 ounces. I loved the taste, was reasonably satisfied, and had room for more "real" food because I didn't use up a lot of calories on the full bottle.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've already had one Dew this morning, and probably about to have another in a few minutes. I pick and choose my battles. Killing my coworkers is not worth the trouble... but it would probably burn more calories. I'll stick with having my caffeine.

QFT

Without my morning caffeine, somone WILL die and I hate the taste of coffee, so i drink Dew

For the afternoons though, I've found that it's not caffeine that makes me want the soda...I just want something sweet to drink and it's easy enough to get without going down the soda trip.
  • kimedbs
    kimedbs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Personally if I give in with even one taste of my favorite soda (Dr. Pepper), I completely fall off the wagon and find myself buying 2 liters. I just avoid it all together. If I really want something carbonated, I'll drink a sprite zero, no calories and no caffeine. I find that the cravings really start to drop off for me if I can go without for 2-3 weeks.
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    TennesseeSodaholic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I gave up sodas completely for 9 weeks (the longest ever in my life). I needed that de-tox time.
    I love regular DP and coke.
    I do partake now occasionally. I also have an addictive personality with regard to them, but I found that if I have one small bottle in the fridge, I can take sips out of it through the day. I leave it in the fridge. By night there is usually about 1/4 remaining, which I pour out because it is flat.
    I have also worked up to running 4.5 miles every morning (it has taken me several months to do this). I find that the increased exercise has taken away the intense food and soda cravings.