JM 30 DAY SHRED HELP

Options
Okay so I started the 30 day shred july 30th and for some reason ive gained 5 pounds I just weighed myself today after I did her video. I've been eating healthy. I usually have a bowl of cereal in the morning with 1% milk then for lunch either salad with low fat yogurt dressing or an egg with brown rice or a banana shake with milk and ice and peanutbutter. Or sometimes later in the day for snack I'd have my banana shake. It also has bee pollen . For dinner I have a small portion. I'm also on a volleyball team and we havetwo hour pracrices . Just this morning we had to run a lot this morning . Then I did the video then I weighed myself. WHATS GOING ON?!?!

Replies

• crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one - I gained 4 lbs after a week of the Shred, too! I think it might be water retention - try drinking more water to flush it out.

But I'm also looking forward to other people's replies! Just know that you're not alone lol :)
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you're not drinking water to the point that you need to go to the bathroom at least every 1.5-2 hours, you're doing it wrong. Drink more.

Hydration is critical, as it discourages water retention. Also, keep a keen eye on your sodium intake.

Also, you could be adding muscle, though I doubt 5 lbs worth without correlating body fat loss...

Lastly, your scale could be crap?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd round of 30DS and I haven't lost weight just inches....

Did you take before pics? before measurements?

My suggestion don't freak yet...take some measurments and pics to do comparisons on day 10, 20 and 30....you will be surprised.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is water retention. You also may not be eating enough for the intensity of your workouts (30DS plus practice). I'd calculate my TDEE if I were you and set protein/fat/carbs to be 30%/30%/40%. Also most people that post their 30DS success stories show a lot of inches lost. You may be losing inches instead of weight right now and trust me I'd rather lose inches (thats what people see not the # on the scale :wink: )
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    a. do you normally weight yourself at the end of your day?? (if not, that could be the entire difference - aim to weigh at the same time)
    b. is it that TOM?

could just be you've gained some muscle...don't fret too much about, take a look at your measurements, too - that will show you where you're truly at
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks to hear, but, you're probably not eating enough - volleyball, I'm sure is a tremendous workout in itself plus shredding - you are def burning tons of cals - Don't they say you have to have "something" to burn off or your body will start storing what fat (or muscle) it is finding.
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    At the end of Level 1 I had gained 4-5 pounds, but my inches had dropped and according to my calculations at fat 2 fit radio, my body fat percentage had dropped some.
    I'm just about to finish level 2. I've seen no further increase on the scale, even during TOM (which is normally a 5ish pound gain by itself). I'm going to take measurements again at the end of this week.
    I agree with the water intake. Up it. I suffer when I don't hydrate properly.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you're not drinking water to the point that you need to go to the bathroom at least every 1.5-2 hours, you're doing it wrong. Drink more. ??????? :noway:

Hydration is critical, as it discourages water retention. Also, keep a keen eye on your sodium intake.

Also, you could be adding muscle, though I doubt 5 lbs worth without correlating body fat loss...

Lastly, your scale could be crap?

Be careful with our bladders ladies.... just sayin' Too frequent can also be a problem:grumble:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm in the last few days of the Shred right now. I weighed myself after level 1 and had lost about 5 lbs. Weighed myself at the end of level 2 and hadn't lost anything additional. To be fair I also had a couple days there where I was at or maybe a little over maintenance calories, but regardless I can still tell that I've lost inches. Pictures are definitely important to check your real progress. I'm super excited to see my afters!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It could be that you're weighing yourself afer exercise. A lot of people believe they would weigh less because of sweating and exertion and that "last minute workout" during Biggest Loser. Some people do, some people don't - it depends on the circumstances. If you're eating before the workout, that food is still in your body. If you're drinking before/while you workout, that fluid is still in your body. If you haven't used the bathroom yet, well, you get my point.

Plus, when your muscles are damaged during exercise (microtears), you retain water and glycogen. Most people give the reason for muscle gain but it's usually the water/glycogen retention that causes temporary gains when one starts exercising. It's pretty much impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit, especially for women.

Try weighing yourself first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. That should be a more consistent result.
  • sophart
    sophart Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started the 30ds this morning, level 1 first time. I found it really hard work so looking forward to seeing some results in 30 days time! Just in time for my holiday!
  • slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try weighing as soon as you get out of bed, after urinating and bowel movement, before drinking anything and before a shower/bath.
    I have heard from fitness instructors that weighing after a workout will show a gain.
    Good for you doing the JM 30 day shred. It is tough!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I know if I weigh after a workout im heavier, and I always weigh as soon as I get up, in underwear. If I weight fully clothed at the end of the day then im 2-3lbs heavier then in the am. I find as long as I am in a calorie deficit and drink lots of water then I lose weight even on programs like this. Im doing ripped in 30 and on day 2 and hoping it helps shed some blubber quickly!
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/15582-jillian-michaels-workout-group

most likely water retention though i think thats just at the start of the 30 days.