calculating microwave popcorn!?

chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
i am about to eat an entire bag of orville redenbacher movie theater butter popcorn all by my lonesome. i will not be sharing with my dear husband - he may get his own bag. :tongue: when i looked up this in the food database, i saw that a bag was over 400 calories, which really suprised me. so i got my box and took a look at it, and i'm seeing that an entire bag would be in the vicinity of 150 calories and 9 grams of fat. am i doing something wrong or looking at this weird somehow? i used the numbers for the popped popcorn, as opposed to the numbers for those wishing to eat raw kernels, which i know a lot of people must love to do since they even bother putting that on the box (not), and i think i'm right...but i'm still kind of scared that i'm missing something very obvious. anyone know what's what in micro-blasted popcorn land?

Replies

• Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    No, I eat that same O.R. Smartpop 94% fat free. And it's only about 15 calories per cup once popped. But the bags hold 7.5 cups. 113 calories for the whole bag. This is what I came up with too.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,722 Member
    Plus check the number of servings in the bag. They're tricky that way!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    I eat a whole bag every night of the smart pop and it is roughly 66 grams once popped. It says on the bag that 40g = 130 calories so I plug that in the adjust mine to 66g which works out to 215 calories. Yours seems off if it is movie theatre butter.
  • I have seriously contemplated getting my calculator out at the grocery store when im buying popcorn theyre so confusing! They show the cals in unpopped popcorn vs. popped which are generally 20 cals per cup popped but the trick is that around 5 cups is a serving and there are generally 3 servings in a bag so i used to think i was only eating 100 cals until i read the fine print and found i was eating 300--sneaky! Airpopped is the best route.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Don't do it!!!! Easily 30 or so grams of fat. Beware!!!!

Those numbers are way off. Popcorn labels are hard to read. You have to read the asterisk, which is for one cup, which is less than one serving, and multiply multiply multiply. I used to eat those exact same bags of popcorn almost every night, until I joined this site. Now I buy the Popsecret Butter and Popsecret Homestyle 100 calorie bags so I can still get the flavor (I hate the 94% fat free stuff) but not overindulge.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm a huge fan of the single serving sized mini bags..... especially the salt & pepper. Though the lime and salt is pretty darned tasty, too.

When I make popcorn for the whole family, I just put curry powder and pepper on it. But when I watch a movie by myself, I splurge.
This discussion has been closed.