Always hungry!?!

Options
Why does it seem like I'm always hungry? I may be taking in too many carbs that are just burning out and leaving me empty, but I feel like I constantly want to eat. Is there any kind of fix to this. I knew that more protein, vegetables, and fiber in general keep you fuller for longer but I just want to eat. :( Any help?

Replies

• xcbballuver
    Options
    bump. i feel ur pain.. I've been hungry all Sat and Sun!
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    Yeah, I know. The only thing that works is if I get busy with something else...keep yourself otherwise occupied!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Definitely you want to eat more protein, fiber and complex carbs like veggies. These stay in your stomach longer because they take longer to digest leaving you feeling fuller.

Also, drinking more fluids. This both fills you up and also makes sure you aren't mistaking thirst for hunger.

The other two things that make me want to eat are ovulating and getting acid reflux.
  • pavanneh
    pavanneh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know your pain. I feel the same way. Even when I know I have eaten to what I should feel full to, Iam hungry within an hour and that is eating fuller substance foods. I know that part of my problem is my sleep apnea/obstruction. It causes my brain to feel starved for more than just oxygen. So, I am hoping using my CPAP regularly will help with that. Eating several small meals a day helps alot and cutting out refined carbs and sugar, but it is hard to do and there is hidden carbs and sugar in alot of foods, even ones that are supposed to be natural.
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    Leave some extra calories available so when you are hungry you can snack a little, ie turkey jerkey, a small yoghurt, nuts.....

Hope this helps.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I totally agree on the fiber. Load up on it! I've been doing MFP for a little over a month now. For the first two weeks, I was constantly hungry. It didn't matter what I ate, I was hungry. I went to bed hungry, I woke up hungry. About a week ago, I noticed that I wasn't hungry all the time anymore. I think it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust. Eat some carrots, an apple, a sesame rye cracker, a fiber one bar, water--anything to help you feel more full. Hang in there!
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Try this: Fiber Choice chewables. Get more fiber and water in your diet. Also eat lots of fruits and veggies to fill yourself up. Eat a lot of food but cut the sodium, carbs, fat, and cals and you won't feel as hungry. I eat more now than I did before and yet don't reach my calorie goal most days. Plus exercise helps kill appetite. So does occupying your mind. Less boredom...less munchies...
  • djchicorico
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. I mean a lot! One benefit is that you have to keep moving, going to the bathroom all the time. I am finally not hungry all the time. Just noticed that this week after six weeks of dieting. Hang in there, we're with you!
  • katemoyer05
    katemoyer05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm new to the dieting thing and it's taking a bit of adjusting. I guess I know what I need to do generally I just need to wrap my hectic schedule around my diet and start doing and eating the right things. I think stress between school, work, baby, and wedding are driving me crazy.
  • katemoyer05
    Options
    Does it feel amazing to have lost 110 lbs? I don't have that much to lose but I can only imagine how awesome that feels.
  • katemoyer05
    Options
    Definitely you want to eat more protein, fiber and complex carbs like veggies. These stay in your stomach longer because they take longer to digest leaving you feeling fuller.

Also, drinking more fluids. This both fills you up and also makes sure you aren't mistaking thirst for hunger.

The other two things that make me want to eat are ovulating and getting acid reflux.

Does it feel amazing to have lost 110 lbs? I don't have that much to lose but I can only imagine how awesome that feels.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A trick I learned from my friend posy43 is to drink a class of ice water or Crystal Light when I feel like eating and then if I still feel hungry I'll eat something. If it's between meals, a piece of fruit or carrot sticks. Close to meal time I just push up that meal. Trick # 2, move! If I feel like eating and just know I'm not hungry I get up and move, crunches, push ups, whatever. I hope that's helpful, good luck to you!
  • anomali
    Options
    i just started yesterday, and already i'm craving junk to eat....but i started reading thses posts, and it's nice to know i'm not the only one! =D
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog recently on how to stop feeling hungry all the time, it might help you :smile: :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fitgirl4life/view/hungry-all-the-time-what-worked-for-me-40038
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks or so on any diet are difficult. You have suddenly gone from eating what you want when ever you want it, to a strict amount of calories. It takes a little time for your body to adjust, but once its has you'll wonder why you found it so diffiult, and may even be looking for ways to eat all the calories in your allowance!
    Stick with it, I promise if you can get through the first 2 weeks it gets much much easier.
    Kx
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Yep. I realize now how much my weight was holding me back when, at the time, I was sure I wasn't letting it.
  • kblamo
    Options
    I just started on Monday and I feel like I have been starving the entire time! I am glad I am not the only one, and I hope we can all get through it and get to the point where we can eat what we really need and not feel hungry all the time in between!