Weird day at the gym yesterday

Options
So I am a regular at my gym, but typically go after 6pm during the week or around 3 pm on weekends as they close earlier. Yesterday I went at 5pm because my hubby was working late so figured I would go early and eat dinner later.

I use the treadmill my current routine is walk a mile at 3.5 mph while rotating my incline from 3.5-5.5%. Then I run two miles rotating my speed from 5 mph to 6 mph with no incline, I walk .10 of a mile at 4 mph in between the two miles to give myself a chance to take a few drinks of water. Then I will walk .25 mile to .5 mile at 3.5 with inclines again, then I run a third mile, and finally walk another ten minutes to cool down.

I am pretty into my own thing and don't pay attention to others normally but yesterday was weird. I had 3 or 4 people literally walk over to my treadmill look at what I was doing for a minute then walk away. They didn't say anything to me, I don't think, of course I have my headphones in and cranked so wouldn't have heard them anyways. I also had at least 4 people hop onto the treadmill next to me, lots of empty ones available, walk or run for maybe 10 minutes, looking at me and my machine a few times then getting off. I felt kind of like I was on display or something.

Usually I assume people who do just a few minutes on a machine are warming up or cooling down or something. It really felt like I was on display or something. Maybe I was just more self conscious because the other day I had a random girl come up to me while I was running my last mile, tap me on my arm to get my attention, and when I took my ear phones out she was like," you are doing awesome, you can do it you are so determined, I just had to come tell you that", it was kinda strange to me, I took it as I think she meant it to be encouraging but I guess that made me a little more self conscious.

I don't know, trying to think positive because part of me thinks, they were worried your 208 lb *kitten* was gonna pass out running 6 mph, I look like a train wreck when I am done lol but I feel awesome. Maybe they were surprised how much I do. Trying not to think those thoughts and instead think, you bust your *kitten* and it shows and maybe they just were impressed and didn't even factor in the weight.

Isn't it funny how a comment I am sure was meant to bolster my confidence made me more self conscious. Sorry for the rambling just needed to get it out of my head.

Replies

• ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same. I have gotten encouraging smiles that are obviously well minded, but just made me aware others were actually watching me! And while I'm sure the girls who tapped your arm meant well, it's kinda weird to interrupt someone during their training. These things are partly why I quit the gym and do my workouts at home or walk/run in my neighborhood, I prefer to be by myself, maybe someday I won't be so self conscious, but for now it is what it is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Keep calm, and run.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was coincidence the people getting on and off next to you. As far as what the girl said, that's wierd I can't imagine saying that to anyone at my gym just out of the blue. Who cares what she thinks anyway, just say thanks and move on with your life.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have got your own C25K or run/walk method going, and people may want to copy you since they see it WORKING for you!

Don't stress about it or worry they think you are unhealthy :) I see people all the time that make me think, if they can do it, my excuses are bull. If you are providing that to people and helping them go further then be proud of yourself!
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not weird. At around 210lbs and training for a 5k, I would do speed training, hill training, and distance runs on my gym's treadmill. Genetically I sweat buckets and I love to push myself hard. I got lots of encouraging comments that I always thought were directly tied to people's expectations of what someone my size "should" be able to do. At first it made me self conscious, but then it made me feel like BAMF. Like I could possible inspire other girls my size to push past the limits in their head. And like I could break some of the stereotypes of what people thought heavy people could do. Don't know if I did those things. But it was possible. It's possible for you too! Way to work!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have got your own C25K or run/walk method going, and people may want to copy you since they see it WORKING for you!

Don't stress about it or worry they think you are unhealthy :) I see people all the time that make me think, if they can do it, my excuses are bull. If you are providing that to people and helping them go further then be proud of yourself!

Nice bike.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I am a regular at my gym, but typically go after 6pm during the week or around 3 pm on weekends as they close earlier. Yesterday I went at 5pm because my hubby was working late so figured I would go early and eat dinner later.

I use the treadmill my current routine is walk a mile at 3.5 mph while rotating my incline from 3.5-5.5%. Then I run two miles rotating my speed from 5 mph to 6 mph with no incline, I walk .10 of a mile at 4 mph in between the two miles to give myself a chance to take a few drinks of water. Then I will walk .25 mile to .5 mile at 3.5 with inclines again, then I run a third mile, and finally walk another ten minutes to cool down.

I am pretty into my own thing and don't pay attention to others normally but yesterday was weird. I had 3 or 4 people literally walk over to my treadmill look at what I was doing for a minute then walk away. They didn't say anything to me, I don't think, of course I have my headphones in and cranked so wouldn't have heard them anyways. I also had at least 4 people hop onto the treadmill next to me, lots of empty ones available, walk or run for maybe 10 minutes, looking at me and my machine a few times then getting off. I felt kind of like I was on display or something.

Usually I assume people who do just a few minutes on a machine are warming up or cooling down or something. It really felt like I was on display or something. Maybe I was just more self conscious because the other day I had a random girl come up to me while I was running my last mile, tap me on my arm to get my attention, and when I took my ear phones out she was like," you are doing awesome, you can do it you are so determined, I just had to come tell you that", it was kinda strange to me, I took it as I think she meant it to be encouraging but I guess that made me a little more self conscious.

I don't know, trying to think positive because part of me thinks, they were worried your 208 lb *kitten* was gonna pass out running 6 mph, I look like a train wreck when I am done lol but I feel awesome. Maybe they were surprised how much I do. Trying not to think those thoughts and instead think, you bust your *kitten* and it shows and maybe they just were impressed and didn't even factor in the weight.

Isn't it funny how a comment I am sure was meant to bolster my confidence made me more self conscious. Sorry for the rambling just needed to get it out of my head.

try not to let it make you self conscious. I am about your same size, and I have had random people walking up to me recently too!

There are 2 ladies ( Ann and Diane) who have been complimenting me for months. One day last month one of them tapped me on the shoulder while i was on the elliptical, and told me that I was doing awesome, and recently they had noticed that I was looking happier and healthier than normal.

A few weeks ago a lady named Martha came up to me while I was stretching after my workout and told me my trainer was training me HARD ( he is), almost like he was training a man :bigsmile: , and that it is working for me...that she can see where my torso is getting tighter.

last week a lady came up to me after my cardio workout to ask me my opinion on a piece of equipment...because I have tried pretty much everything there :heart:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I try to take things meant to be compliments as compliments. The only time I got offended by a compliment was at a park where I regularly walked. I'd been going every day for at least 4 months and a guy in a truck slowed up next to me to tell me how commendable it was that I was out there walking. By this time, the walks weren't that difficult for me and I'd already lost 60 pounds so I thought I was doing great and looking great (I was still about 390 pounds. It was a great start but I guess I saw myself much better than others did). I asked him why he thought it was commendable. I wasn't aggressive when I asked, I honestly was puzzled that it was considered commendable for anyone to walk 4 miles after 4 months of preparation. The guy stumbled around to explain it and it started to piss me off. I think I was more pissed off because the guy was driving around instead of walking himself and he looked far fatter and out of shape than I perceived myself to be.