Fiber VS. Protien.

Options
Recently in my research and browsing different articles I have found a few that argue that fiber is just as or even more important then protein in the diet of someone who is trying to lose or maintain weight. Thus stating that the only reason you would want a diet extremely high in protein is if you are trying to gain muscle/weight. Stating that someone who is trying to lose or maintain only needs .5 grams of protein per every pound of body weight.

I am not saying I believe this to be true or false, I have just found this to be very interesting. I am curious to hear other people's opinion on this? So, what do you think?

Replies

• Anon1836
    Anon1836 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You definatly want to keep a balance. I keep protein so high even when I am losing weight becase of the satiation benefits. But when I want to gain weight I keep it pretty much the same because I am getting extra calories through other means.

190.6lbs, 140~200g protein daily.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Considering that their functions in the diet are completely different from each other, fiber vs protein is a null comparison. You need both in the diet for each particular function.
  • MzTebow
    MzTebow Posts: 6
    Options
    protein is not just for people to gain weight. i had gastric surgery and it is VERYYYYY important that i consume at least 60-70 grams of protein a day. that is quite a bit but the that rule goes for all gastric surgery patients. And we obviously want to lose weight. it can actually stall us if we dont get in our protein and water. if you lose weight and dont get in your protein, you can lose your hair. Its very important to get that in. My friend lost over a100 lbs without getting in protein and lost most of her hair.
    if you want great opinions, get on you tube! its great source of information!! :smile:
  • MeredithAntonetti
    Options
    I agree that both are important! I am currently working on decreasing my sugar intake and increasing my fiber while maintaining my protein intake. It's all about balance and figuring out what works best for you. I think it's best to listen to your body, it has a way of telling you what you need and don't need.