Running

Just a simply question....want to start running, any good advice on how to start?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    People will tell you C25, a beginners program to get you running a 5k within a period of time. Personally I just got my trainers on put one foot in front of the other and I'm running. Slow and steady is the only way to really go about it and make sure your footwear is decent, you don't want that irritation.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Visit a store that specializes in running (road runner sports, etc) and have them fit you properly for shoes. Never underestimate how important the shoes are! Don't do too much too soon. HAVE FUN!!!
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Walk first :) When I started running for the first time, I would run the length of 2 telephone poles, then walk the length of 3 poles. Then I would run every other pole. Then I would run 2 poles, walk 1. Switch it up - whatever works :)
  • Dawn5242
    Dawn5242 Posts: 8 Member
    Build it up slowly. You don't want to put yourself off. Get decent running shoes. Enjoy it :-)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Like others have said, make sure you get fitted for good running shoes. A running store should usually do a free gait analysis and show you some shoes that will work best for your running style. Also, make sure to get athletic socks, not cotton; they'll wick away the sweat to help prevent chafing and blisters.

Personally, I loved the c25k program. I think it's great for beginners because it starts at 1 minute running intervals with 90 sec walking intervals in between and builds you up to running a 5k. A lot of new runners will get discouraged and quit quickly because they try too much too fast, and the c25k program works to prevent that. It keeps your progress going without overloading you. If you're interested in that program, here's the MFP group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k There are tons of supportive members on there and lots of people in different stages of the program from day 1 to veterans that have already completed the program and stuck around the group for support.

No matter what way you decide to do it, just make sure you go slow. It seems counterproductive to try to go really slow, but in order to build your endurance to run distances, you need to make sure you keep going slow. Just remember the tortoise and the hare. :smile:
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    C25K via Zen Labs app worked great for me. You can listen to your own playlist, and it tells you when to run/walk, it takes the guess work out
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    C25K via Zen Labs app worked great for me. You can listen to your own playlist, and it tells you when to run/walk, it takes the guess work out
    I did that app too. I'm doing the c210k app now, and I'm almost done and at the point of being able to run a full 10k. I used to hate running, and now I love it. :smile:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    1) Get good shoes
    2) Always warm up and cool down
    3) Build up slowly
    4) Try music while running (its a hit and miss for some. I like it)
    5) C25k
    6) Squats with weights. They will help with endurance in your legs and you will be able to run longer.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    1) get fitted for good shoes
    2) always make sure to warm up and cool down
    3) start out slowly and feel free to walk/run as needed (I use the Jeff Galloway method)
    4) Try music or podcasts while running
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    I started with big goals. "I want to run a marathon" This was about 12 years ago and probably before C25k. I stumbled accross Jeff Galloway. He is still around and his method continues to work for me. His website can get you started and he has some books and podcasts available as well. He has training for 5ks, 10ks etc as well. I just started big. I have finished 2 marathons at this point and now mostly run halfs and 10ks.

www.jeffgalloway.com
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    c25K is a great program. You can get the Free App on your phone. Or you can work yourself up to it, which is what I did. I picked a route and began by just walking it and then gradually walk and then run in intervals until I was able to run the whole thing. Then I signed myself up for my first race and now I run a couple times a week and have ran 5- 6 races this year so far. Just know it is a journey and it takes time to get there. Just take baby steps and don't give up. :)