Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options
Would walking a 5k make me lame, as a friend suggests?

I am overweight and don't want to put undue stress on my knees with running until I lose some weight.. Although I am over 300 lbs I have never been sedentary, I have always walked, ridden horses, hauled hay, kayaked, etc. It has never stopped me from doing what I wanted to - although I am the first to admit I could be in much better shape, and am working on it.

I mentioned to a friend that I would like to do a 5k this year and walk the Bay to Breakers 12k next year. I have a group of friends that have done the B2B and are talking about doing it again. Of course, both would be walking for the experience.

I know I can do a 5k in under an hour. I just finished over 4.5 miles in the hills in 1.5 hours. My HRM puts me in the zone 2/3 of the time.

You guys can be honest with me, I can take it. Should I shelve my plans for when I can actually run?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Lots of people do it (I organize a 5k fun run/walk). Go for it.

ETA - I've walked one with my mom a few times also.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Your friend is lame. Walking a 5k is awesome. Go for it!
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY NOT LAME. A lot of people walk 5ks. Just make sure that you start toward the back because people who do run get kind of annoyed when slower people start in front of them. I've done a couple 5ks and there has always been a group of walkers.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hell no, you're doing better than everyone on the sidelines or the couch.

Your friend needs a pie in the face.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    heck no! do it if that's what you want!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Not doing it would be "lame". Don't ever let your weight stop you from doing something you want to do. Walk it, and make it a goal to run it next year.
  • katiekido
    katiekido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I've run hundreds of races and there are usually lots of walkers in them! Definitely don't let your friend discourage you! I would encourage you to participate - it doesn't matter if you walk, run, jog, crawl! I think you should enter it and be proud to cross that finish line! :)
  • buzzerooski
    buzzerooski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not lame at all! It's an awesome and achievable goal, and finishing it will make you very proud of yourself. I would steer clear of any "friends" who make you feel lame for exercising... Perhaps they themselves need to get in better shape, and are threatened by you taking concrete steps in your own life. Go, go, go!
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    DO IT! You will be so happy you did! There are people of all shapes and sizes and fitness levels at 5ks! It is not lame at all. Go for it!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Your friend doesn't seem very supportive... I would definitely go for it! No one said you HAD to run a 5k, there are tons of people who walk them for the exercise and for the good causes they benefit. No shame in that!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! You should do it! I'm doing one on Saturday where I thoroughly plan on mostly walking, perhaps some jogging, and I'll be caught by the zombies of course, but it's about getting out and doing it! (The demonspawn and I are doing a 5K zombie run - I don't think there will just randomly be zombies at a fun run. Though it would make it awesome).

The friend who thinks it is lame? Tell him/her to shove it. NOT doing something you will find enjoyable (and that is legal) is the only truly lame thing. If they're to insecure to do something like that, that's on them. You're not, you want to do it, ergo, it is not lame!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You've already walked over a 5k, and do not seem to be lame. Lots of people walk 5ks. Do it if you want to do it.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Tell your friend to shove it and go WALK the 5k!!!!!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Every race I've ever been to has had big groups walking. Even some people that start out running might end up walking.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No way! Do NOT listen to your "lame" friend... if walking a 5K is what you want to do then by all means go for it. I personally walk and jog at the running events I do each year. I think the B2B sounds like a really fun time with your other friends too.

Just remember, you are lapping everybody on the couch!
  • Nar1965
    Nar1965 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not a runner and I haven't done a race so I'm probably not really qualified to answer, but that's never stopped me before! I say GO FOR IT. Do what you can do and start where you are. Walking a 5k is awesome, and an accomplishment, and a heck of a lot better than watching a 5k! GO, GO, GO!
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with walking it! You can always work up to running later, if it's something you wanna do but in the meantime walk away!!! Not "lame" at all. :)
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In some races up to 1/3 walk. You wouldn't get a second glance.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    No it is not lame.

Now let's talk about the more important topic: What are you planning to WEAR to do the Bay to Breakers? THAT is IMPORTANT BIZNESS!!!!

Don't sweat it, and don't listen to hater-talk, even (especially) when it's coming out of the mouth of someone labeled "friend"
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Your friend sounds like an elitist. No, don't shelf your plans until your friend thinks you're worthy. Don't let waiting for the "perfect" time to start prevent you from starting at all.