Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like races. i like to train for them and do my absolute best. i have no problem with people walking them. in fact, i've done races where i've had to walk at one point or for a prolonged period.

my only problem is that when people talk about walking it in a way that makes it seem like they don't want to take the race seriously. yes, i know the races are for fun, but still. i don't know if i'm explaining myself properly. don't just sign up for the race and say "oh, i'll just walk it." train for it. tell yourself what i tell myself in every race: "i'll walk only if i absolutely positively have to."
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Not lame, but if it's a race mainly focused on running, make sure to read the race guidelines to see if they have any pacing limits on the walkers. Many of the races I've seen have a pace requirement of 16-17 minutes per mile for walkers, which would mean that you'd have to be coming in closer to 50 minutes than an hour for the 5K.

Since you're talking B2B, it seems like you're a Bay Area local. So I'd recommend the Mermaid Series 5K in SF the second weekend in November. The entire event is all women and walking is encouraged, with no pacing requirements. It's right along the waterfront around Marina Green, so it's a cool and beautiful course to walk.

I will say, with the B2B, if you decide to walk it, just make sure that you place yourself in the correct corral for the pace you'll be walking. The front corrals are serious folks. I was in the first, non-elite runner, corral based on my previous race times and I felt seriously out of my league with that group. I probably would have fit in better a corral or two back. So just be aware that even with the tortillas, the costumes, and the goofiness, the people that are there to really run the B2B take as seriously as any other race.

With the B2B, they have two walk/run corrals. One is a 16 minute per mile pace and the other doesn't have a posted limit on the pacing, just an expected finish time of over two hours. But they do need to start opening the city streets back up again, so if you are concerned about actual pacing requirements, you can contact them directly and they'll let you know the maximum time.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    walking a 5k is fine just stay toward the back at the start of the race.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight and I walk 5Ks all the time. I will never ever run. I don't like it. Why are some people so disillusioned that they think running is the only way? No. Actually... Hell no. I won't run and you can't make me.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've walked 2 5k's and came in last both times...i have no shame. Not to mention I walk at least 15k a week just for the hell of it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i like races. i like to train for them and do my absolute best. i have no problem with people walking them. in fact, i've done races where i've had to walk at one point or for a prolonged period.

my only problem is that when people talk about walking it in a way that makes it seem like they don't want to take the race seriously. yes, i know the races are for fun, but still. i don't know if i'm explaining myself properly. don't just sign up for the race and say "oh, i'll just walk it." train for it. tell yourself what i tell myself in every race: "i'll walk only if i absolutely positively have to."

Or, I walk b/c I don't want to run... ever. Not even YOU can make me, Capt :)
  • mrlddst
    mrlddst Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hell, as long as your doing the 5k, what difference does it make! Your walk might be faster than some people's run. Just make sure that you finish within the time limit.
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If it gets you out and moving then go for it!!!
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Not lame at all !! I think if anything you would be an inspiration to other larger people thinking that "hey if she can do it, whats stopping me"
    I am not a runner by any means, well when I was 100 pounds lighter I like to run on the tredmill for an hour everyday, but like I said, when I was a hundred pounds lighter haha
    I am signed up for a 5k next month, just signed up last week and have done three training sessions now. I know some other people who are just walking it, I think for you to complete a 5k is awesome, walking, running, jogging, your still going to cross the finish line !
    GO FOR IT !! :D
  • oDDnySS
    oDDnySS Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What is lame is not participating in something you want to do at your own pace- the fact that you would complete a 5k at any pace is awesome- your friend is giving you bad advice. Go for it!!! I haven't done one yet, and when I do, I'm sure I'll walk all or most of it lol
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Your friend saying its lame to walk a 5k is lame.

Walking a 5k is awesome! I walk, walk, walk and love it!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Depends on the structure of the run.
    I ran the London 10k, and there were loads of people walking it. It was bloody annoying for everyone else having to run around them. Had the race been structured so that fast runners went first, then slower runners, then walkers last.... It would have been acceptable.

A couple of weeks later i ran another 10k which was smaller and EVERYONE ran. This is the way it should be.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i think you need new friends. go for it! i've done 5k and mud runs... i walk them. i still get done. i still have a blast.

srsly, your friend is kind of a dbag.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    walked my first ever 5k at 400lbs. I jogged for the first small bit and then again at the end. Took me 1hour 11 minutes. What madeit even better was that I had 7 friends that signed up because I did and they all stayed with me. They all could have easily finished it sooner but wanted to help me along. It wasnt lame at all. As a matter of fact, some of them did some extra exercises at every corner to make it fun. Even though we were some of the last finishers we still got cheered on and tons of support. Your friend is lame, run it, walk it, whatever. Just have a good time, get it done and move on to your next one.

As far as the training, yeah, attempt to do some training. that is where I goofed up. I had signed up for it 6 months with plans to train. Well, I failed misserabley on the training so I know I could have done better. Finishing that actually is what made me want to start working out again. So go for it and have fun!!!!
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Sounds like your friend is the lame one. I've walked a half marathon at over 200 lbs. and nobody thought that was lame. We all have to start somewhere. Yay for you! :)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It definitely wouldn't be lame to walk a 5k. I have done 5k's before and always walked. I want to eventually to be able to run one next year, I just need to start the running. I was planning on it last week and developed a heel spur. Now, I am just building up walking again. So, I figure I have the fall and winter to start running.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Would walking a 5k make me lame, as a friend suggests?

I am overweight and don't want to put undue stress on my knees with running until I lose some weight.. Although I am over 300 lbs I have never been sedentary, I have always walked, ridden horses, hauled hay, kayaked, etc. It has never stopped me from doing what I wanted to - although I am the first to admit I could be in much better shape, and am working on it.

I mentioned to a friend that I would like to do a 5k this year and walk the Bay to Breakers 12k next year. I have a group of friends that have done the B2B and are talking about doing it again. Of course, both would be walking for the experience.

I know I can do a 5k in under an hour. I just finished over 4.5 miles in the hills in 1.5 hours. My HRM puts me in the zone 2/3 of the time.

You guys can be honest with me, I can take it. Should I shelve my plans for when I can actually run?

No, do not shelve any plans, walk it. I am sure that as an adult, if you feel unwell during the walk on the day, you will have enough sense to stop.

Go for it and whilst you are at it, drag that friend of yours along so that they can see firsthand that it has not made you lame.

All respect to you, seriously go for it :flowerforyou:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! If you plan on walking, just look for one that says walk/run.

Also, now is a good time to start couch 2 5k. If no one suggested it.

** Also about the HRM ZONE thing. When your running a 5k race. forget the zone, your heart rate is just going to max out. I can get mine to 170-180s.***
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No way!
    I walked a 5k and 10k with my Mom.

Lame = doing nothing.

Just go for it!!! :happy:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is lame is wearing the shirt you get for participating during the race. As long as you don't wear the race shirt you aren't the slightest bit lame, lots and lots of people walk 5K.

Seriously though, don't wear the race shirt during the race... don't be that guy.

I find that is pretty popular now a days, even with experienced runners. It was definitely a "newbie" thing but I don't find so much anymore.
    I don't because I am superstitious and I have to "earn" the shirt by finishing the race before I can wear it.

Even if I didn't think it was sorta lame, and feel the same way about "earning" the shirt before I wear it, I still wouldn't do it. I've had some race shirts turn out to be uncomfortable to run in and I've always been thankful that I wasn't finding that out during the race itself.