Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It takes me a little over an hour to run a 5k. Who cares what your friend thinks. You are out there getting exercise. And you are easing into it. It is hard to run when you are overweight - hard on your body and then you might give up - i know I did. get more strenuous as you lose weight. When you get down some more, why not try to do the Couch 2 5k program and make a goal that in one year you will run a 5k in 45 min or less?

Keep up the good work. You are doing awesome.

:flowerforyou:
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    Me and my sister walk a 5k or 6k every other day. We're working up to running it and trying to improve our times. There is nothing wrong with walking it! You can't start out running, everyone starts somewhere small!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lame
    Is in the eye of the beholder

Yes your friend will think you are lame

Everyone on MFP will think you are AWESOME!

You may want to see whether your 5K is a "race" or a "Run/Walk"
    :-)
  • playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone....DO IT!!! Don't let your weight stop you...JUST DO IT! I walked a 5K Thanksgiving 2012 and Easter 2013 with a bunch of my friends that were inspired by my weight loss and wanted to do it but knew they couldn't run it. We all had a great time and some of they have achieved great results in their own weight loss just by getting this jump start.

Walk it or run it...no matter how you do it or how fast you do it, it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you've completed it.

GO FOR IT!!!
  • morningdove43
    Options
    Why does running have to be a goal? Running is not for everyone and us walkers do just fine! Walking is a fantastic form of exercise and MUCH easier on your joints. So walk it and be proud!
  • thoma450
    thoma450 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You should totally do it. I just did a 10K (over 3,000 participants) and a ton of people were walking it :) You will not be the only one!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!No way!!!!!!!!!!!, it doesnt make you lame at all. It encourages everyone:

For me, its about taking action, everyone has things they wish were better, when I see people working on those things, taking action, it really fires me up (and others too).

"You are to BIG", "you are OUT of Shape", "you are going to hurt yourself", "do you have insurance just in case" "it may be hot" It may be cold"

#&$%^&&*^&*(^%^ who cares

if you want to do it, do it :-) Get a 5k under your belt, then another one, then something else!

GOOD for you!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Would walking a 5k make me lame, as a friend suggests?
    Of course not! If you are self conscious, try to pick a 5k that is likely to have a substantial number of walkers. For instance, our komen 5k has like 30k people so there are a ton of walkers but when I went to a tiny 5k hosted by the running club, not so much :)

Have fun!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're lame at all! I have walked a 5K before. But, it sounds like you're pretty active. You should give running a try and I think you would be amazed at what you can do. Start with short intervals and work your way up.
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with walking! Sometimes the walkers are faster than the runners anyways.... like me getting passed by a speed walker with a hot pink walker in my very first 5K! It doesn't matter if you run, walk or crawl across the finish line!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You should do it because it's something you want to do. And a good friend would be supportive and not tear your idea down saying it's lame.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5K walk in October so it if it makes you lame then I'm lame too and we are too fabulous to be lame. :wink:
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If you want to walk it then do it with your head held high because you are out there accomplishing something. If your friend can't get behind you and support you then maybe she is not the best friend to talk about weight loss and exercise with. We all have different friends and if they can be there for you in different ways....if this one is not supporting your efforts then accept her as she is and find additional friends who will. By the way, you will do great at the 5k!!!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm run/walking one this weekend! Just didn't get in my training in time.... so I will run as much as I can, and walk the rest! You are to be commended for doing anything at all, which is a helluva lot more than most do! GO FOR IT! :happy:
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Here are your steps to success:

1. Walk the 5K, be proud of your accomplishment.
    2. Get a new friend.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Go you! Ignore your overly judgmental friend.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    PS - ditto to the comments about your "friend" - he/she needs a pie in the face! Shame on them. Get some new friends!
  • moviechic3
    Options
    DO it! You'll feel great! And then you'll want to do another one...and who knows, maybe the next one you'll run just a bit and walk....you never know. Go out and enjoy it. Gotta start somewhere ;)
  • 905nik
    905nik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That isn't a very supportive friend... Any exercise is great and definitely not lame!

That being said, different people have different reactions to different situations. I walked a 5k race with my Mom and Sister earlier this year. I planned on running but injured myself and had to walk it... which was probably a good thing, because even though they aren't as overweight as me they aren't runners. We ended up in almost last place. Everyone in the race was so nice and super supportive and yelled out encouraging comments to us. I really enjoyed that... my sister did not. She used to be an athlete and nearly snapped from all of the "sympathy applause" that she received. She thought everyone was basically saying "That's so awesome that you're trying to do this even though you're fat!" and really hated that. I didn't mind at all. Depends on what type of person you are I guess.

I LOVE doing the 5k races even though I still can only run about half the time. They're super fun with a lot of good energy and usually a pretty fun and supportive crowd. It's even better when you get a medal at the end for finishing! It's really nice tracking your finish times too to see if you can decrease it with each race.
  • hproskie
    hproskie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    NOT LAME!!! Do it, and then come back and post about how awesome it was to finish your first 5K. :wink: Cheering you on!