Restaurant outing and keeping the calorie count diet!

Options
Hi,

in a few days I will go to a restaurant. I will pick fish and sorbet as a dessert but even if I try to make healthy choices i am pretty sure it will be way over my daily calorie budget. And the meal is at 8 pm... So no way eating nothing for whole day...

I was thinking on deliberately eating half portions. I can really do it, cause I really don't crave restaurant food.
I only have one question:

How to make it as invisible to the others as possible?? They are my colleagues from work and I don't want any mention about diet.
I do not look like I need a diet but I certainly speak a lot about healthy eating at my work. I also don't want to be like a "nasty impersonation of reason" and a i dont want to look like I am some kind of a victim.

What are your tricks to eat less and stick to the plan?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Easy answer, "I'm not use to eating this late at night."
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Does the restaurant have its meals on-line with the calories listed? You cold then pre-select your meal, know the calories and adjust the rest of your day.
    Also, don't look at your calories as a daily event for the next couple of days. Look for an average over this week. Then, if you go over on your restaurant day and go under for the rest of the week, you'll still average less per day than your daily limit.
    Enjoy the evening, making the best choices available.
    You can do this. It's a lifestyle change that you're working towards.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eat half and have it to go.

I'm not sure why eating out is a huge crisis... you should be prepared to handle these things- its' something that comes up... a lot.

You need to learn how to eat within your boundaries. You are the master of your body- what you put in your mouth and when you do it is your business and no one elses.

All of these are acceptable:
    I'm not used to eating this late.
    I am not that hungry.
    I want to save some for my hubby- or for lunch.
    I had a late snack/early dinner with my family.
    I don't' eat extra food.
    I don't like XX food.

You seem very mechanical about this- "I will pick fish and sorbet as a dessert". it shouldn't be so mechanical and stiff- relax.

how do you know you'll be over your budget?? eat less earlier. I eat out all the time and get within 2-300 calories- either over OR under because I budget for it.

Today- I've eaten only 700 calories- i'm going to dinner tonight- and I'm going to eat a lot... so yup- I haven't eaten since 1130. Price you pay sometimes.

Relax. This is your life- you need to learn how to live it AND stand up for yourself AND eat within your budget.

You can do this.
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    just log it, and hit the treadmill the next day and burn the extra amt of calories.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi,

in a few days I will go to a restaurant. I will pick fish and sorbet as a dessert but even if I try to make healthy choices i am pretty sure it will be way over my daily calorie budget. And the meal is at 8 pm... So no way eating nothing for whole day...

I was thinking on deliberately eating half portions. I can really do it, cause I really don't crave restaurant food.
    I only have one question:

How to make it as invisible to the others as possible?? They are my colleagues from work and I don't want any mention about diet.
    I do not look like I need a diet but I certainly speak a lot about healthy eating at my work. I also don't want to be like a "nasty impersonation of reason" and a i dont want to look like I am some kind of a victim.

What are your tricks to eat less and stick to the plan?

wait? Eating nothing for the entire day because you are going to a restaurant for an 8p meal? That sounds like you are setting yourself up for a disaster. Try to make decent choices throughout the day (including at the scheduled meal), eat some of it, take the rest home. Done.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Or you can always order a salad without dressing... and since lettuce has very few calories, eat it all! Or if you get full, leave it behind.

Appetizers are a great option too, if there's something healthy. The portions are almost always smaller! I have a lap band, so I'm used to eating small portions/asking if I can order off of the kid's menu :)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi if I am eating out I make sure I have less calories during the day (usually a salad with a bit of chicken or tuna). Most restaurants have a healthy option and if not this is just one day, just get back on track the day after. Unfortunately this is life and going out for meals is sometimes part of it. If the restaurant is well known see if they have the calories on their website and you can then decide what the best option is. Life is too short enjoy your night out:smile:
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have eaten out several times in the past month, and it wasn't any problem. As others stated, go online. Very few restaurants now days do not have their menu listed on line, and most have the nutritional contents available as well. Pick what you want, check out the calories, and work it into the day. When I am out with friends, not family, I am talking alot, eating slowly, so they are usually done before I am half finished, so it doesn't look "odd" when I only eat half and box up the rest to take home. I just say, "whew, I'm full, can I get a box for this?" It's no big deal. If it is worked into my day, then I can either finish it, or still take some home. I work in the bread and salad if I know I am going to eat some, as well as the dinner. Checking the menu out ahead is the best way to go into it with your eyes open, and I have never had to go over or feel awkward with friends, or be stuck ordering "fish and sorbet" in order to make it fit into my day. Hope you enjoy your time out, and your dinner!
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Plus if they DO have an online menu, do your best to figure out what you will eat, and if no nutritional info is available, keep it simple and put your diary entree's for dinner, when you get up that day. That way you can then know what calories you can eat during the rest of the day so you don't go too far over it.