Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options

Replies

• Idreamoflean
    Options
    Don't shelve it, better to walk a 5k than not bother at all. It's all exercise. Your friend is being lame :-)
  • 905nik
    905nik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    try to pick a 5k that is likely to have a substantial number of walkers. For instance, our komen 5k has like 30k people so there are a ton of walkers but when I went to a tiny 5k hosted by the running club, not so much :)

Fantastic advice!!!! :)
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Your friend isn't a very good friend. It doesn't matter if you walk or run. It matters that you do it. Do what makes you feel comfortable not what other people think is cool. Good luck with it too. :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As long as you can walk it in the allotted time...no problem.

Run when, and if ever, you are ready.

Note: I walked for 4 years and lost nearly all the weight by doing nothing but walking. I got back into running to throw something different at me once I reached maintenance and to work a completely different muscle set.

As an aside, I ran my first 10K since 1985 this past April (Cooper River Bridge Run). There were some people who put themselves in the "running groups" that clearly were not ready for that. I put myself in the walk/run group and passed them on the way to the finish.
  • TriClaudia
    TriClaudia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You have 6 pages of answers, but I have to chime in! NOT lame! Walk on! And while you're at it, pick up some like-minded new friends along the way! Have fun!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My first ever 5k is in a month and I'm praying there's at least 1 walker in it so I don't finish in DFL.
  • Ilikeyoursleeves
    Ilikeyoursleeves Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Omg. Wtf? Your friend sounds like she's 12. Of course it's not lame. Any physical activity is better than no physical activity. Anyway.... What's with the whole running kick all of a sudden? It's like aerobics was in the 80's.
  • bostoncoug
    Options
    I definetly agree that your friend isn't very supportive. I've run a 5k and a 10k, and there were plenty of walkers, some walked the whole time, some walked after running etc. I weigh close to 300 lbs (288) and have had knee and joint problems. I ran my first 5k when I was 295 (not far from your 300 lbs), and when I started running, I was at 340 lbs. I did the couch to 5k program to get me slowly acclimated to running. It worked for me. You might be able to push yourself further than you thought you could. Either way, walking or running, it doesn't matter how fast your moving, your still lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch. Good Luck!
  • abosq
    abosq Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    girl it's not lame at all! lace up your shoes and start walking and ignore your friends childish behavior/chatter - I walked 5 miles everyday with my husband during my lunch hour weather permitted- I have a bad knee and I don't want to mess up the other one, so I speed walk and my husband ran some and speed walk some with me- running is not going to help you lose the weight faster, so take your time- your friends and family are supposed to be your greatest supporters- Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. It's not my thing. I've walked 2 Color Runs. I love walking the AHA Heart Walks- by far my favorite. They're 5k, it's for a cause I'm passionate about, they're family friendly, and unless you register as a runner, EVERYBODY walks. I finished my first one in 1:30 (this was before I started getting healthier). I wasn't the first, but I wasn't the last to finish either. This might be a good place for you to start while working your way up to running :)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    You will only be lame if you A) Wear the race shirt to the event(super lame), or B) Start anywhere but the back. I hate swerving around walkers.

TL;DR entire post. Sorry if these have been said. And good for you. Get out there and do it!!!
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You all are so inspirational.

I did some inter-webs sleuthing and found a nice 5k run/walk with a dedicated walkers group close to my house. I have 2 months to get ready! It is a charity run for literacy, in flat vineyard terrain.

I printed off the form and filled it out. Even ordered the shirt- which I promise not to wear until its over!

I threw it out to my friend and I think she may do it..... We shall see. I AM going to so that is all that matters.

It is family friendly so I may push my kids in the double BOB. I think they would have a blast. Heck, I am going to ask my husband to do it, too. :-)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You all are so inspirational.

I did some inter-webs sleuthing and found a nice 5k run/walk with a dedicated walkers group close to my house. I have 2 months to get ready! It is a charity run for literacy, in flat vineyard terrain.

I printed off the form and filled it out. Even ordered the shirt- which I promise not to wear until its over!

I threw it out to my friend and I think she may do it..... We shall see. I AM going to so that is all that matters.

It is family friendly so I may push my kids in the double BOB. I think they would have a blast. Heck, I am going to ask my husband to do it, too. :-)

Fantastic!! Have fun.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lots of people out there who aren't running :) Even see them walking their dogs! 5k is for everyone! Enjoy it!!!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Gotta start somewhere!

I felt super awkward the first time I ever did an actual "event."

Now I do them all the time - the feeling you get when you cross the finish line is great... Knowing you just did something that you physically couldn't do _____ many days/weeks/months/years ago.

The first step is the hardest of all, but in the end the first step is that much more rewarding than the last.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Definitely not lame. I have run many races where there are walkers. I personally tell them I hope they have a good walk. Just start toward the back.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hell no, you're doing better than everyone on the sidelines or the couch.

Your friend needs a pie in the face.

This!!! Never let a "friend" demotivate you. I have walked plenty of races. I had a friend walk a half marathon before when she was getting over an injury. You should set you mind to it and do it. You will feel great when you finish!
  • tunedvwgti
    tunedvwgti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No! Do it and have a blast!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine walks 5Ks and is such a BAMF that she has inspired at least 6 other people, at various fitness levels, to sign up for their first 5Ks as well, either walking or running.

Enjoy the walk!