Cals, macros, training ahhhhh!

Options
Hey everyone I'm new and I was wondering if any of you knowledgable people could shed some light on my dilemma, I'm female, 22 height 5 foot 4 inches and 216 pounds looking to lose 95 pounds to put me back to we're I was 3 years ago ok so I started mfp last week and weighed in on Sunday and only lost 2 pounds I know 2 pounds is ok but I've normally lost 6+ before in first week I'm on 1700 calories BUT I don't count my macros as I find counting cals and macros very time consuming so I was wondering if you think this could be the problem for only losing 2 pounds and do you all count macros aswell as cals? Also I've put below my workout schedule and my diet for last week any help would be fab as I think the weight should come off quicker than this for being so overweight thank you :)

Mon: 15 min hiit and 40 min weights (arms)
Tue : 40 min run and 40 min weights( abs)
Wed: 15 min hiit and 40 min weights(legs)
Thur: 40 min run and 40 min weights( arms)
Fri: 15 min hiit and 40 min weights (abs)
Sat: 40 min run and 40 min weights ( legs)
Sun: rest

Breakfast: porridge + bandanna (300 cals)
Lunch: salmon + salad + salsa ( 300)
Dinner: chicken+ salad + salsa (300)
Dinner 2: chicken+ wheaten wrap ( 300)
Snack: protein shake ( 90)
Sack: peanut butter( natural) + 4 rice cakes (300)

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Hey, well first things first..

What you eat doesn't matter, so no need for the (Natural) after peanut butter.

2 lbs a week is fine, you've never lost 6 lbs of fat in a week before so it doesn't matter, that was just water and fat.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Training 6 days a week is a bit excessive in my opinion but if you're up for that, feel free.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    2lbs in 1 week is fine. Adjust your expectations.
  • Sammfp
    Sammfp Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you guys count macros or cals or both? This bit confuses me :-( thanks for your replies too :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Counting calories is usually enough for simple scale weight loss, assuming the diet is somewhat normal and not completely ridiculous. If your goals are more about body composition or workout performance, then macros become important.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    First of all, good luck on your journey! Seems like you are in the right place! Second, I agree with everyone so far that you need to adjust your expectations...while 7 lbs may look great on a scale, it's still only a "fictitious" number. It is SOOO hard to not live and die by the scale, but if you do, you'll soon learn it will drive you crazy!! 2 lbs/week is a very safe and healthy goal for long term success. I think macros are much more important if you're looking for a specific result. I would start with calories alone, and be sure to adjust them as you lose the weight. Also make sure to eat enough to continue fueling your body. You're welcome to look into my diary (it's FAR from perfect), but will give you ideas on how to eat a lot, without a lot of calories, most days anyway :). I eat around 1800 daily on days I work out and I sometimes have a hard time finding all those, and I feel like i eat a TON. You can always start looking at macros down the line once you start getting the hang of it. Weight loss is a journey that you will need to adjust your route many times along the way!!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I count my macros, but as Jacksonpt said for weight loss alone it isn't a necessity, personally I'd still do it, but I wouldn't use the macros MFP gives you.
  • Sammfp
    Sammfp Posts: 21
    Options
    Guys thank you all sooo much your replies are so helpful and motivating I've just one more question sorry am such a newbie but I've read on a lot of posts that a lot of people use different websites like 'scooby workshop' or 'free dieting' to get their calorie allowance because mfp is wrong is this true? Should I use a different website to get my calorie allowance or use the 1320 calories mfp gave me and eat exercise calories back? :)
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back... it your trying to lose then keep the calories low. imo
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Guys thank you all sooo much your replies are so helpful and motivating I've just one more question sorry am such a newbie but I've read on a lot of posts that a lot of people use different websites like 'scooby workshop' or 'free dieting' to get their calorie allowance because mfp is wrong is this true? Should I use a different website to get my calorie allowance or use the 1320 calories mfp gave me and eat exercise calories back? :)

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • jacksonpt
    Options

It's personal preference. Assuming you make reasonable estimates and have reasonable goals, MFP's approach and any of the TDEE approaches should have you eating about the same number of cals after everything is said and done.
  • kristen2713
    Options

Check out a few of the other sites if they're free, but I don't think mfp is all that off. You don't need to eat back all your exercise calories, but you will need to eat back some at least. You need to fuel your body properly first and foremost. Don't eat them back with sugar and empty calories just because they're there; but you'll find that if you're getting great and strong workouts, you'll probably need them. You may want to try a week or two at say your 1700 calories, and adjust from there based on your weight loss and hunger levels. It's hard with some jobs, but try to eat a decent snack between each of your meals to help your metabolism build and stay strong.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    A comment on your exercise schedule. Are you new to lifting? If so, 6 days a week for 40mins is probably a bit too much. Also no need for the splits if you are new. 2 lots of 40 mins of abs is a waste of time, just throw in an ab exercise at the end of your weight session, if that, lifting weights tends to work your abs anyway. If you are new, you can get away with 3 times a week full body weights and will get awesome results from that. If I could go back a year and tell myself one thing it would be not to bother with the splits for at least 6 months. Full body is the way to go. It will allow you to separate your cardio and weight so you can focus better on both.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Check out a few of the other sites if they're free, but I don't think mfp is all that off. You don't need to eat back all your exercise calories, but you will need to eat back some at least. You need to fuel your body properly first and foremost. Don't eat them back with sugar and empty calories just because they're there; but you'll find that if you're getting great and strong workouts, you'll probably need them. You may want to try a week or two at say your 1700 calories, and adjust from there based on your weight loss and hunger levels. It's hard with some jobs, but try to eat a decent snack between each of your meals to help your metabolism build and stay strong.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. First, fueling your body is 1 very good way to look at WHY people SHOULD eat back their exercise cals. You could argue that if you're not eating them all back, you aren't completely refueling "the machine". Second, sugars are some of the fuels available.

The problem some people run into is that they mis-estimate calories burned (and/or calories consumed), and this throws off the cals in/cals out balance and thus screws up their progress. But that's a problem with calorie estimates, not the method of eating back calories.
  • kristen2713
    Options

Sorry, but this makes no sense. First, fueling your body is 1 very good way to look at WHY people SHOULD eat back their exercise cals. You could argue that if you're not eating them all back, you aren't completely refueling "the machine". Second, sugars are some of the fuels available.

The problem some people run into is that they mis-estimate calories burned (and/or calories consumed), and this throws off the cals in/cals out balance and thus screws up their progress. But that's a problem with calorie estimates, not the method of eating back calories.

I agree, and maybe I misstated, but I see too many people say, I have x amount of calories left, I'm going to have a bag of chips to use them up, or a donut, or whatever. This should be done with fruits, veggies and other power packed foods to properly fuel your body. Don't eat them with the wrong types of foods because they're there. That being said, we all need to also enjoy food, and those things aren't killer every now and then in small doses to get them out of your system or to feel as though you've satisfied a need.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I agree, and maybe I misstated, but I see too many people say, I have x amount of calories left, I'm going to have a bag of chips to use them up, or a donut, or whatever. This should be done with fruits, veggies and other power packed foods to properly fuel your body. Don't eat them with the wrong types of foods because they're there. That being said, we all need to also enjoy food, and those things aren't killer every now and then in small doses to get them out of your system or to feel as though you've satisfied a need.

I kind of think we are "arguing" over semantics/wording... so I'm going to say this for clarity and then move myself along.

If you've met your protein and fat goals and still have calories left, what's wrong with using your remaining calories on donuts or ice cream or chips or whatever else?

Sure, fruits and veggies or "clean" food or whatever else may be a better option based on your goals, but based on the OP's question, there's nothing wrong with using remaining calories on "junk" food.