Do you eat CLEAN, IIFYM, or straight calories... and why???

Options
124»

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    A little bit of everything.

I eat mostly clean - I didn't know that was a "thing" until I came to MFP. It just makes sense to me to eat whole foods and cook from scratch. It's more fun, I can be creative with what I make, and I find it takes better. I've never liked most processed foods that much anyway, I only buy processed food that I can't make myself at home (like protein powder, nutella and chips). I try to buy organic and/or local produce a lot of the time. If I buy pasta or bread it's multigrain. I only buy the occasional fresh fish, but any other type of raw meat freaks me out so I'll only eat it at restaurants.

I try to eat a certain ratio of carbs to fat to protein, because my normal diet is super low protein, and I want to make sure I increase my protein intake.

I watch my micros too, as I'm prone to iron deficiency and sugar addition!

And at the end of he day, as long as my calories aren't ridiculous, I'll eat anything I'm really craving. I don't deprave of myself of anything that I like.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Straight calories. Attempts to do anything else have derailed me very single time I've tried it.

IIFYC
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I eat crooked calories

sorry couldnt help it...sometimes I eat the dreams of children
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ultra low carb primal, so about 99% clean. I am also T2 diabetic hence the ULC. I love this lifestyle it suits me and my health needs perfectly. Like everyone I slip now and again, hence I didn't claim to eat 100% clean. :-)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I eat cleaner, but not clean. I do think about macros as much as possible, but in the end I watch calories the most.
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Straight calories with common sense. I try to eat healthfully for the most part, but I go to $5 burger night every Tuesday and enjoy every bite (about to leave right now). I have not cut out processed foods, but I do read labels. I don't really watch my sodium intake ( My BP is super low anyway). I watch sugar when it comes from processed foods, but I eat fruit when I want it.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I really try to eat within my macros, which I have set at a 30% fat, 30% protein, and 40% carbs. I also have my fiber set at 24 grams, I track iron, and carbs as well. (just set that up yesterday, so I haven't decided if I like it yet. )

I am not a clean eater per say, but because I do a lot of cooking and baking for family instead of processed carp, so by default, my eating is more natural. I do consume *gasp* artificial sweeteners, although I have cut back.

I am not opposed to treats. I love me a well made burger, fried clams, uh, bakery fresh doughnuts have been known to almost shout out my name as I go by. I just dont' eat those very often. My biggest problem with sugary treats is that I can really bake up delectable goodies in my kitchen, so finding the balance between baking for my family and not going overboard myself can be a challenge. Even then, I use my own freshly ground wheat flour (i have a wheat grinder), lots of fruits and veggies (oh hello, zucchini bread! and I like to think, they're a teensy bit better for the body then oh, twinkies. (in moderation of course!)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I get my protein, hit the deficit and everything else is secondary to me.

I'm not into 'working out' so I don't pay much attention to carb loading or whatnot.

I eat it all, ice cream daily, packaged this and that but I do try to make sure the majority of my intake is good wholesome stuff (my definition thereof...).

I've been down the more restrictive routes and it didn't suit me, I like fewer rules, it's all just nosh innit? ;)