Recovering from Anorexia! I'm scared of getting fat!

Options
Hi! I'm currently recovering from anorexia as the title says. I'm a female, 5'5, bmi is 14.5, and i'm 87 pounds.i really want to betall, at least 5'9. i am growing, about a 1/4 of an inch every 2-4 weeks, but i think if i weren't underweight, i'd be growing more! i also have a super fast metabolism. I'm maintaining my weight at 3000 calories. I'm just so sick of having this disorder, but i am soooooooooooo scared of getting fat. Before anorexia, i had been a healthy weight, but not skinny, yet not fat at 102 pounds. i just don't want to go back to that girl ever again! The lowest weight to be healthy at my height is 95 pounds, but my mom thinks i should maintain 98 pounds. I'm also doing kung fu 3 times a week, walking the track 1-3 times at school 5 days a week, jump rope for 15 minutes everyday, walking a lot everyday, etc. I was doing even more exercise when i was going through anorexia! I guess what i'm trying to say is, can someone give me motivation and support? I'm really struggling here. thank you!

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You're still growing? How old are you?
  • ericdcruz118
    ericdcruz118 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    how's your diet like? since i cant view your diary. is it a healthy 3000 calories?

if you're trying to gain weight.. i would say try to cut your cardio to a minimal (because it wouldn't help you much if you're trying to gain weight) and do lift weights more.
  • faithnna
    faithnna Posts: 42
    Options
    Go get advice from a Doctor and then get into therapy to help get rid of your poor self-image. You're too young (young enough to still be growing) to be damaging your body this severely.
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    I'm pretty certain this is a troll... but for anyone who might actually have the problem of Anorexia...

You might consider a vegan or vegetarian diet. I think that people who have this problem might feel fat because of the food they eat. One of my friends in High School was anorexic... When I offered her that advise she actually took it. Now she is a very healthy, very happy vegan. :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Go get advice from a Doctor and then get into therapy to help get rid of your poor self-image. You're too young (young enough to still be growing) to be damaging your body this severely.

I agree. This is why I ask how old you are :ohwell:
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes! I know what you are feeling as far as being scared of getting fat. Let me tell you this - if you are exercising and eating within your calorie goal for your GOAL weight, you will not get fat. Be sure to include minor strength/ resistance training in your regime so you build MUSCLE not just put on the weight. as you feel steadier, healthier, increase the resistance/ weights - you will NOT bulk up, promise. When you eat, make your calories count - lean proteins, veggies, healthy fats (avocados and nuts were my saving grace and I still enjoy them). I will tell you, I did not gain my weight from recovering from my anorexia - I got pregnant with twins shortly after recovery and ended up on bedrest the whole time because my body wasn't able to handle the extra tax it put on my system. I gained my weight because I had to eat a certain amount but I wasn't able to do resistance exercises or any other exercise.

Work with a nutritionist if you find it too difficult to do on your own. I have health issues I firmly believe came from the damage I did to my body being anorexic. Reaching out for help is the first step, often the hardest step. I still struggle with the anorexic mindset from time to time and at this point probably will for life BUT I am determined to stay on track and get healthier each day. YOU CAN DO IT.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Seeking professional treatment is advisable, especially at your current weight. Refeeding can be a very serious issue and you want to have someone looking after you during this time.

That said, I'm glad you are working on getting better. It's a huge step forward to post what you did.

I agree that cutting down on the cardio but perhaps adding strength training,( something that won't tax your heart as hard) would probably be good. Something to help keep your strength up. And try to eat as healthily as you can.

Are you able to find help at this time? You mentioned your mother - is she supporting you through your recovery?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need professional help. 102 is not fat for 5'5".
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Embrace your inner fat person. Look at the great painters, Botticelli's Venus rising from the sea, the Greek statues of Venus, Rubens, the impressionists and see what beautiful women really look like. Throw out all the fashion magazines and focus on these new models again.

http://uploads5.wikipaintings.org/images/sandro-botticelli/the-birth-of-venus-1485(1).jpg

http://www.windows2universe.org/mythology/images/primavera.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Tiziano_-_Venere_di_Urbino_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg/360px-Tiziano_-_Venere_di_Urbino_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
  • shoppinggirl101
    Options
    I currently have a nutritionist and have been going to her sine the end of may. she has helped me a lot and honestly, i think without her i would have been near dead.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I currently have a nutritionist and have been going to her sine the end of may. she has helped me a lot and honestly, i think without her i would have been near dead.

Awesome! That's a huge, huge piece of dedication to your health. I am really happy to hear that!
  • shoppinggirl101
    Options
    I am eating healthy calories. heres a typical day for me:
    breakfast:
    1 fage 2% greek yogurt
    1 cup of granola
    1 cup of 1% milk

snack:
    1 kashi dark mocha almond bar
    1 carrot (not a baby carrot)

lunch:
    1 turkey sandwich- 2 slices of whole grain bread, 4 slices of natural turkey, 1 slice of baby swiss cheese, lettuce
    about 15 sunchips
    1 carrot

snack:
    2:30-4:30
    1 quest bar
    about 15 wheat thins

4:30-6:30
    1/4 of a cup of hummus with vegetables

dinner:
    1 cup of barilla pasta with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
    1-2 cups of vegetables
    1 multigrain roll with 1 teaspoon of olive oil butter

snack:
    1 kind bar
    1 complete protein tortilla
    1 carrot
  • shoppinggirl101
    Options
    My mother actually stopped me from going under 85 pounds! Thats the lowest i ever got too. Thank you for the sweet feedback. I am seeing a nutritionist, and have been seeing her since june. i will continue to go to her untill i recover.i just feellike i am going to wake up fat sometimes! The last time i checkedmy weight, which was about a week ago, i went up 2 pounds. That made me think i could slack off on my calories. Well, anyway thank you again!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    In what strange reality could 95Ibs ever be considered healthy for someone of 5'5?

Also, if you are under 18, you are not supposed to be on this site to begin with.
  • JosieFury
    JosieFury Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In what strange reality could 95Ibs ever be considered healthy for someone of 5'5?

Also, if you are under 18, you are not supposed to be on this site to begin with.

It's a troll looking for validation.
  • shoppinggirl101
    Options
    awww, you're so nice. thank you so much for the feedback! I'm glad you got your health back in that crisis!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Her profile says 22 yo.
    The strange reality of that would be "Anorexia". In which in the subject line she says she's recovering from.

Support goes a long way. Let's all be nice to each other please.

To the OP: This is wonderful to hear. I almost lost a very close childhood friend to anorexia and so it's a sensitive topic for me. I've seen first hand how debilitating it can be. I am very PROUD of you and your accomplishments to eat things that will help you gain weight, and that you are seeing a nutritionist.
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options

Her profile says 22 yo.
    The strange reality of that would be "Anorexia". In which in the subject line she says she's recovering from.

Support goes a long way. Let's all be nice to each other please.

To the OP: This is wonderful to hear. I almost lost a very close childhood friend to anorexia and so it's a sensitive topic for me. I've seen first hand how debilitating it can be. I am very PROUD of you and your accomplishments to eat things that will help you gain weight, and that you are seeing a nutritionist.

She also said she is still growing - not aware of any 22 year olds (or any female past menarche) who grow at a rate of 1/4" every few weeks.
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as 'getting fat'. That will only backfire and cause you to go back to being anorexic. Think of it as Getting Healthy. Take notice of what you eat and your exercises. Food is not your enemy, it is the backbone to a good workout. No food means no energy to exercise.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A quick BMI calculation indicates that at 5'5, the lowest you can go before being underweight is 111 lb, and even that's pushing it, so no idea where 95 is coming from.