Outdoor walking?

Options
How can you track it? I don't really see anything on here for it... I see 4.0 speed etc... but isn't that more for treadmills?

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You should just think about how you're walking. If it's slowly, pick 2.0 mph. If it's more like walking a dog, pick 3.0 mph. If you're speed walking, I'd pick like 5.0 mph. I also tend to use my HRM when I'm out walking like that.
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone (I have an andriod) go to the app market and download an app called "runner" it's free (and there are other free versions). You just need a decent GPS signal, and since you are walking outdoors it shouldn't be a problem. I walk for 30 min and try to get 4.0 mph but usually average about 3.8 or so.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've driven my route to see how far it was. You can figure it out based on how long it takes you.

I now use a heart rate monitor, though, so that takes all the guess work out of it.
  • momtofour
    momtofour Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i actually walk the dog so i count the one for dog walking, then i time how long im out, its normally about 60 minutes so go with that, the other day it was pouring down so we walked alot quicker so i choose the 4.mph walk it think its a good alround average quide
  • mama050709
    Options
    alrighty thanks everyone! I have a HR watch not sure if that will work, but I shall try and see :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I drive the route sometimes or use MapMyRun.com to see exactly how far I went. If you put in the amount of time you walked and the mileage, then MMR will calculate your miles per hour and calories burned.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to track your outdoor exercise for walking or running. Here are some scenarios:
    1. If you are on a track, find out the distance of 1 lap, then time each lap. You can get your exact speed that way.
    2. If you are walking on sidewalks/roads, drive it out. Time your total walk/run. Then you can get your exact speed.
    3. If you are walking pathes which have unknown distances, there are a few options here.
    a) Get a pedometer.
    b) If you have smartphone, they all have apps which allow for GPS tracking. HOWEVER, they do not all get the best reception and once in a while will not work effectively.
    c) Buy a GPS device and heart monitor. This allows you to track your distance and make a better calculation of calories burned. Still same issue as b.
    4. For any seasoned walker or runner, you usually have a good idea of how fast you are running or walking. Therefore, you can always do a best guess. Although, I do not advise this, as it can be extremely inaccurate. Even if you are the typical stride length tracker.

One final note. When you see 2.0, 4.0, etc, those are miles per hour. They are not specific to treadmills. With enough training and discipline, you can match your treadmill pace pretty easily when outside. I still recommend getting some device to take the guess work out of it though.

Hope this helps!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You can keep track on.

http://www.dailymile.com/

It gives you a map and will give you your pace when you log in.

Also, Excellent before and after pic.!!
  • kimbruundk
    Options
    I use a mobile phone with Android. Here I have got a program called Endomondo installed. It tracks your walk in km/miles and calculates the calories you burn. - and it is free!

Also available for iphone.

More at http://www.endomondo.com/

Cheerio

Kim
  • mama050709
    Options
    ooo awesome ideas!!! THANKIES!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    alrighty thanks everyone! I have a HR watch not sure if that will work, but I shall try and see :)
    If it doesn't have a chest strap, I wouldn't trust it.
  • susiep1959
    Options
    Thanks... Today is day 1 for me! Love your rewards....Yeah Tats!!!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I have a droid and use a few apps, but I also use the site MAPMYRUN.COM (free) and you just put in your home location and then track where you went. COmplete the walk/run/etc and log it. It will show you your miles completed and from there you can use Caloriesperhour.com and go to the walking calculator, plug in your weight, distance/miles, and time and it will calculate your speed. You can create a new exercise on mfp based on whatever your speed was. I have exercises like" Walking at 3.3pmg (via MMR)" and it goes from there.