Withings Pulse/Fitbit/Body Media - What works for you?

Options
I am in the market for an activity tracker. I originally thought I would get a Fitbit 1 but I came across the Withings Pulse. Has anyone tried this? The reviews and ratings are lacking to make a good determination as to if this is a good product. I want something that can indicate heart rate and let me know if I am in the zone I should be when working out, as well as steps, miles, calories, etc.

What is everyone using and how satisfied are you with it? I welcome all comments and suggestions.

Thank you!

Teresa

Replies

• kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 12
    Options
    I've had mine for a couple of days and it's really brilliant! I also have the smart body analyser. The sleep monitoring is really good and truly tells me how much deep sleep I'm having. The run keeper was great too and as accurate as endomondo on my iphone.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    the Pulse is just brand new - just came out last week or so - I have a jawbone up which I really like.

I would love the pulse but it's not in bracelet form - which for me is a must.
  • belfastbiker
    belfastbiker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've had the Ultra and Zip from Fitbit, both excellent. I passed the Zip along to a friend, so am without tracker.
    To save cash, I tried the nike+ footpod with my iPhone, and despite not being faulty, it simply won't sync up to the Nike+ webpage. Infuriating.

So to hell with it the Withings Pulse is out at the middle of month, I've read every review of it, and it's the deserved successor of the pocketable fitbits.

If you use the clip with any pocketable tracker, you're screaming for it to be lost. Thats how I lost my Ultra. These are POCKET trackers. Can't wait to get my hands on this little beauty. I'll pop a review up when I get it, but I suspect I'll love it.
  • zubinanary
    zubinanary Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I went with the Withings Pulse, and it's one great unit. Here is the great thing with Withings. I've found a few bugs in both their Withings Health Mate app and on the Pulse, and they take bugs serious and release both new version of their app and of the firmware, and the firmware upgrades are applied seamlessly just as is syncing from the app.

I think the Pulse will get better over time of course, but for what it does right now, it's fantastic.

I'm just waiting for full official support in MFP which is underway.

I also wished their sleeping strap was designed better, like the LARK. Right now it's difficult to put on and to maintain throughout the night since the velcro contact pieces are not as large or strong as their competitors. Other than that, I have not found any faults of the Pulse.

I would highly recommend if you're looking for an activity tracker.
  • TheDelicateMariposa
    Options
    So does the Withings Pulse sync with MFP? I have my Withings scale already linked but need to confirm if the tracker can be linked before I purchase.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Hah, and I was JUST going to do a search about the Withings Pulse.

I personally don't own anything yet but I've been doing a lot of research lately and trying to decide on something. It's kind of between Fitbit Flex, UP by Jawbone, and Withings Pulse. The WP is not my first choice due to it being something that screams to be lost. I like the idea of a wristband. however, I like that it tracks heart rate... but I don't know. *sigh* I'm curious to see what other people chime in with. :)
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I am in the market for an activity tracker. I originally thought I would get a Fitbit 1 but I came across the Withings Pulse. Has anyone tried this? The reviews and ratings are lacking to make a good determination as to if this is a good product. I want something that can indicate heart rate and let me know if I am in the zone I should be when working out, as well as steps, miles, calories, etc.

I use a fitbit and a bluetooth heart rate monitor app and am happy with that combo. Out of curiosity, I looked at the Withings, the thing about the pulse measure is that it looks like it would be really awkward to use while exercising. From the pictures on the Withings site it looks like you would need to hold it on one hand and press a finger from the other hand into the little sensor. Can you see the picture I refer to on this link: http://www.withings.com/en/pulse ? You may need to clock on the tab that says "heart rate".
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try all these trackers out there ... although I am a hardcore Fitbit fan myself. Fitbit has been around a while and I just like how many different companies trust it (BodyMedia does seem to have a good rep too, it just seems so big and bulky and I wouldn't want to pay a monthly subscription).

I've connected my Fitbit to several reward sites too ... Everymove, Earndit, Achievemint and Walgreens ... I just connect and forget it and earn little kickbacks. http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/get-rewarded-for-getting-fit.html

I'd definitely want something that MFP syncs with. I love how the two sites work together.
    I did buy a HRM too, for the times when I want that feedback ... but most of the time I'm perfectly happy with just my Fitbit.
  • TheDelicateMariposa
    Options
    I purchased the FitBit Flex and it'll be here tomorrow! I will let you all know how it works for me! I'm excited!
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Tried the Fitbit and it is great if you want to just track a general activity level and you are at the statistical median for your metabolism. A new alternative that seems more wearable is the "misfit Shine". I also did not like the Fitbit interface and having to always figure out where you were going to end up in a day.

I now use a Bodymedia Fit and it is much better for me as I get a number that is more accurate for my personal TDEE. I has major drawbacks though, size and limited positioning, they also charge for the computer interface. The new version out next month may help a little and the interface charge may go away now that Jawbone has bought them.
  • jadelovesveg
    Options

I use a fitbit and a bluetooth heart rate monitor app and am happy with that combo. Out of curiosity, I looked at the Withings, the thing about the pulse measure is that it looks like it would be really awkward to use while exercising. From the pictures on the Withings site it looks like you would need to hold it on one hand and press a finger from the other hand into the little sensor. Can you see the picture I refer to on this link: http://www.withings.com/en/pulse ? You may need to clock on the tab that says "heart rate".

Kimsied, can I ask what heart rate monitor and app you use?
    I was excited by the idea of the Withings Pulse, but I agree it looks like a bit of a pain to use the pulse read feature..
    I'll probably hold out on buying a 'wearable fitness tracking device' until the day one of these companies finds a way to incorporate a heart rate monitor and accurate pedometer.
    For now I use a basic step-counter, but if I can find an inexpensive heart rate monitor I'll go for it :)
  • catherineash79
    catherineash79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a withings pulse. Have been using it for about 5 days.
    The apps I find useful and that talk to each other are runkeeper, my fitnesspal and withings healthmate. The pulse talks to the withings app which in turn links to both runkeeper and myfitnespal.

The only thing the pulse does not do for those wishing to purchase one, is track your pulse during or after exercise. It is designed to read RESTING heart rate, so with regular earrings combined with regular exercise, over time you should see your resting heart rate being consistent and low (around 65 I think). If you want to track your heart rate whilst exercising, you'll need a heart rate sensor band I reckon.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit flex for a couple of months now and I just love it. The fact that it's a bracelet means that I never forget the darn thing, and it syncs up with MFP which is brilliant as well. It doesn't track your heartrate but I still think it gives you are really good idea of how active you've been and a fair estimate of how many calories you've burned. I also use the icardio app to track distances when I run, it works with my fitbit account without double counting my burn. I definitely feel that my fitbit has been key to my weightloss. My only complaint is that it doesn't sync with my crappy smartphone.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia and I love it. It syncs beautifully with MFP and has been very accurate for me. I like the fact that I can set daily goals and try and beat old personal bests. The cons: not waterproof and not as accurate with stationary cycling. Also it looks like a medical device so if you lose a lot of weight and people see you wearing it, they assume you are sick. :laugh: Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything else that I've seen yet.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia and I love it. It syncs beautifully with MFP and has been very accurate for me. I like the fact that I can set daily goals and try and beat old personal bests. The cons: not waterproof and not as accurate with stationary cycling. Also it looks like a medical device so if you lose a lot of weight and people see you wearing it, they assume you are sick. :laugh: Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything else that I've seen yet.

New model out probably this month can look less medical and is waterproof as well as much smaller but you still have to wear it on your arm.
  • jeremylwf
    Options
    i have been using my Withings Pulse for over a month and just signed up for myFitnessPal.

How do i integrate it with myfitnesspal? tried connecting it to my Withings account but it does not import my daily steps.

purchased mine from http://www.hrmdiscount.com/withings-pulse-wireless-activity-tracker-sleep-and-heart-rate-monitoring.html
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The FItbit is pretty much everything I want in an activity tracker. I've done rather well with it since Februrary.

It's so unobtrusive. Nothing to strap on my bicep or wear on my wrist. It just disappears on my body.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

New model out probably this month can look less medical and is waterproof as well as much smaller but you still have to wear it on your arm.
    Oh, I didn't know that the new model was waterproof. :love: That's really tempting.
  • asieo
    asieo Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried the fitbit flex for a couple weeks and sent it back. The lack of ability to sync with my droid was the dealbreaker. I got the pulse instead and have been using it so far.

The fitbit registered more steps than the pulse, probably due to being a bracelet. One day I even stood there and just swung my arm back and forth a bunch of times to see how the "step" count would change and was disappointed. Also the flex wouldn't count steps if I was pushing a cart around at work (arms not moving), so the app on my phone that counted steps would catch way more than it did.

So far the main annoyance with the pulse is the lack of syncing with MFP, which they're working on and hopefully will fix soon.

What I'd really like is the amiigo, but they're not even available yet, and I don't know if they would sync with my phone anyway.
  • damienkstanton
    Options
    Hi All,

I have had nothing but horror with the Fitbit Flex. I am awaiting my third replacement unit due to the battery contacts which charge the device not working after 3-4 months of daily use.

I am leaning towards replacing it with the Withings Pulse, but I am confused by the answers I am finding regarding its sync capability. I know MFP does not have an 'official' linkage with the WP at this time, however it sounds like all I would need to do is sync with the Withings app, which *does* sync to MFP.

It doesn't matter to me if the data is not exactly real-time.

Thanks in advance,
    D