Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options

Replies

• ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't walk -- STRUT!!! Do it for the fun of it, just to participate, to hang out with friends, for the pride of accomplishment. Go, gir;!
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Walking is always waaaaay better than sitting still....
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Your friend couldn't have been more wrong... Do what works for you, and have fun with it! :)
  • bennet2002
    Options
    I recently did a half-marathon and there were people walking that. Go for it.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    The friend has never done any 5k's and quite possibly believes them to be filled with competitive runners, leaving no room for walkers? I really don't know, the gist of what I got was that it is far better to run slowly than to walk fast.

Do it - the enthusiasm at these events is very contagious.

You can tell the your friend that some people (meaning myself) are very slow runners that the professional competitive speed walkers as well as the run/walkers pass during the race.

Runners don't mind walkers at all as long as they start in the correct corral - there is usually a walkers corral towards the back.
    As a slow runner I usually start in the corral just in front of the walkers.

Oh, one final point: neither runners nor walkers should be several people abreast, even if you are participating together as a group. It's kind of like how you wouldn't spread out and block the width of an entire sidewalk in SF - don't do that on the race course either.

Have fun! Maybe you can get your naysaying friend to join you! :laugh: :drinker:

- - -

ETA: oh, don't wear the race shirt till after. I agree w/ the Chinese Buffet person w/ incorrect English on sign AV that you don't want to be that person! lolz! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    What kind of friend is that! The fact that you want to participate in a 5k event is awesome. When i first started doing them all i did was walk them....then walked them faster....then progressed to walk /jog combos. Now i mostly jog the whole thing but sometimes need to walk a minute around the last mile.

I do them with my friend and we have a policy that if either of us feels like walking or running etc we wont hold the other back. So if your friend wants to run let her....you do what is comfortable for you. Just go and have fun!! that is the important thing
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You all are so inspirational.

I did some inter-webs sleuthing and found a nice 5k run/walk with a dedicated walkers group close to my house. I have 2 months to get ready! It is a charity run for literacy, in flat vineyard terrain.

I printed off the form and filled it out. Even ordered the shirt- which I promise not to wear until its over!

I threw it out to my friend and I think she may do it..... We shall see. I AM going to so that is all that matters.

It is family friendly so I may push my kids in the double BOB. I think they would have a blast. Heck, I am going to ask my husband to do it, too. :-)

That is so fantastic. And to get the whole family involved is even better. Way to go! Have tons of fun.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Walk it, run it, or crawl it. Just the fact that you are being active makes you not lame.

Also, many races benefit charities and those make you even more the opposite of lame.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am clockin in at 300 lbs....and i did a 5k (Color Run) a few months ago....and it was decidedly NOT under 1 hour....lol - - but it's fine. I think 5ks are fun! I'm just trying to figure out why you have "friends" who would be discouraging you at all in this endeavor....unless i read your post wrong.
    I know, for ME, I was worried about being the last one in....and worried that everyone else would be running it - not walking it. But, i GOT OVER IT and had a great time!
  • Ccampbell21
    Ccampbell21 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You are the inspirational one!! Do it, do it, do it!! Have fun!!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    No. Not lame. Get out there and use that body with functional limbs. Don't want to get to a point where you can't and wish you had. :)
  • Canonwilliams
    Options
    Not in the slightest. I started by walking on the tread mill and progressed to running continuously for 60 minutes
  • jpbgrad98CHANGED
    Options
    I am going to second everyone else... NOT LAME! Walk, enjoy the race, get the experience. You are doing 100% more than the people on the sidelines watching, you are out in the open air, and you are moving. Eventually you will get to the point that you can jog in it if you want. I say good for you for doing it, bad for you if you don't! Don't ever let someone tell you that you shouldn't or can't just because you want to do it your way.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Nope.. If you look most say run/walk.. At least you're doing it!
  • Tomsylvania
    Tomsylvania Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not lame at all. You have to start somewhere.
  • FitJen8704
    Options
    I have ran in 2 different 5K series near me and there are people who walk it. Nothing lame about it. Just make sure you start out in the back so the runners don't have to worry about getting around you.
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
    Walking is the easiest and cheapest exercise.
    I'm a fitbit user and walking is my main (and only) exercise.
    In 6 months i have walked almost 2.500 km/1.500 miles and lost 18 kgr/40 lbs.
    For the last 2 months i'm in my goal weight and now i'm walking to burn calories in order to eat ice cream or pizza or drink my beer.
    Plus i feel awesome after walking.
    Is this lame? Don't think so. :)

s2v30x.jpg
  • woodstockchick
    Options
    its not lame at all!!!! have fun and your friend should be more supportive =) find others u can walk with if u feel u will stick out by yourself. enjoy your 5k :)
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not lame at all.. just go do it at whatever pace you can & you'll have done more than most people... enjoy it & have fun!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Would walking a 5k make me lame, as a friend suggests?

Compared to what - sitting on a couch and not moving at all?

No way.

Doing 5k in any manner is better than not doing it at all - go for it! :)