I monitor my water weight...but... i have a question...

Options
Last night i stood on the scale, it said 229.9 so this morning i check it and it said 228.2,, i thought it was a fluke lol so i stood on it again and the scale said 229.2... third times a charm right, so i stood on it again, and now the scale says 233.5...

so.. =/ 5lbs of water weight just appears in 5 seconds? is my scale broken? this is the first time ive had an issue keeping track of my flucuations

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Scale is broken.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm guna say it's the scale. What kind of scale do you have - analog or digital? I know the analog ones aren't necessarily accurate. I just bought one last night because I didn't have one at my place, and when I initially stepped on it, it said I was about 166, when I know I'm at least 10 pounds less than that. I tried it again and it showed something close to 153. If you have an analog scale, I think you just have to be careful where you're stepping on it, and take into account a margin of error. If you have a digital scale and it's doing that, it might be time to change the battery!
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    my scale is digital, and apparently changes depending on where i place it on the floor but sometimes it seems to get stuck on a number?? like.. sometimes my jammie pants add a pound and sometimes the scale doesnt add them at all.
    but for the last couple days i have been 230.3 and 229.9 so, it seems weird to me that in 5 seconds, i can have 5lbs tacked on..
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    perhaps i will wait and see what the scale says the next couple days before i buy a new one.. maybe its just lazy
  • danjacharlotte
    Options
    your scale is probably not entirely level where you keep it.
    try different spots in your bathroom and wherever it gives you 3 same readings is where i would always place it to weigh yourself...
    thats what i do to make sure its giving me an accurate reading, so now i place it on the same tile every week to do my weigh in
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    The digitals have to be completely level. It can add crazy weight if its at a slight angle on an un even surface. Could also be the battery
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    well at this point, its saying 233.5 no matter where i put it on the floor =/ Lol
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's the scale. Don't go buy a new one yet.

Is it on a hard, level surface? Don't move it. Find a place to put it and keep it there. Constantly moving it can hurt it. NEVER place a scale on carpet or any form of floor that is softer or not fully level. Find a spot where it won't have to be moved, it won't be kicked/bumped, it wont' get wet. Also, make sure the feet of the scale are clean. When we moved I didn't clean the bottom of my scale (the feet of the scale were filled with dust and stuff) and it started weighing me 15lbs more.

When was the last time you change the battery? Last time my scale kept reading different weights it was because I had to replace the battery.

Are you placing your feet on the scale in the same way each time you step on? Are you leaning towards the sides, front or back? If I stand on my scale and lean to the side it reads me higher... if I'm slightly leaning to the front of back it reads me lighter. If my feet aren't on the right spot the weight will change.
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    I guess its kind of hard in my apartment to find a level surface the floors seem to be kinda dippy in the first place.
    Ive not changed the battery or cleaned the feet since ive owned it, so maybe i will give it some TLC and try again.
    Thank you =)
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    Well, i dont have the right kind of batteries but i cleaned the feet and stuff, and now the scale says im 238, so its definitely not me!! lol
    will probably just see about trying a new scale
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I move it out of the bathroom daily to make sure it stays dry. 3 times on in the morning gives me 3 different readings! I'm moving it to the concrete floor in the basement and keeping it there! Thank you again! Hope this solves the up/ down issue!!
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My scale was doing the 3-different-readings thing & I got a new battery - problem solved!