Looking for supportive friends (fatty liver anyone?)!

Options
Hi,

I'm relatively new here and I'm looking for some friends for support.

I was recently diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver disease and it was a wake up call for me. My diet of grocery store junk food and lack of exercise had made a claim on my liver, but as soon as I found out I knew I need to make some changes. I quit all the junk food the very same day and started the diet recommended by my doctor. I was also on a mood stabilizer, Abilify, for depression, which made me eat uncontrollably. With my psychiatrist I reduced the dosage and as a result I now the opposite effect; no appetite. I struggle everyday to get enough calories in me. I saw a dietitian and she recommended a calorie intake of 1210 since I am sedentary and only 5'2. I can't even make 1210 and it's making me anxious since I'm afraid I'm going to enter starvation mode.

I haven't seen anyone else here mention fatty liver, I can't be the only one here.

If you have any tips on how to increase appetite, please share. I don't eat meat and I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I started doing some cardio and today will be the first day of lifting weights; I'm really hoping it will make me hungry.

Replies

• carolynowings
    carolynowings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just very recently found out that I have Nafld as well, unfortunately mine has advanced to the cirrhosis stage... my dr also recommended loosing weight and exercise. I am very sedatary as well... and interesting fact that he explained that in 20 years this will be the number one killer because americans have such poorly controlled diets.

I am also looking for someone to support my efforts .. my family is trying but they just do not get it sometimes. When I suggest a healthy meal ... they I dont want that cant we just eat something else and we will start tomorrow ... Unfortunately if I do not start today I will not have very many tomorrows according to my dr.

I am sure there are many more people that have this but are just scared to tell someone. The 1st thing I hear from people when I state I have cirrhosis is you don't drink.... No I do not ... but I do eat unhealthy.

I just had a liver biopsy to confirm the doctors diagnosis on the 1st August and he was correct.. now its up to me to fight or lay down and accept what happens.
  • thebiggirl1997
    Options
    hi im Rebecca I lost 100kg so u need any advice come to me :)
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was told I had a fatty liver a few years ago when I was having abdominal scans for a stomach condition. I was severely underweight but the junk I was eating when I could eat was all clogging up my poor liver. I have since had surgery, gained too much weight and am now trying to get back on track with a healthy diet and exercise.

I am too scared to ask for another scan (ostrich syndrome, I know) but have had a blood test that showed 'normal' function (whatever that means!). I spoke to a doctor friend who said that viseral fat (around organs) is really hard to shift, but can be done through a calorie controlled diet containing natural fats (olive oil, avocados etc) and exercise, so I am hopeful.

I think that what I am trying to say to the OP is try adding natural fats to your diet, as these generally push up your calorie intake without being bad for your liver. I'm not a doctor but that's what one told me.