weight loss when taking a break?

Options
So- I've been working out like CRAZY for the last few months. I've seen a lot of difference in inches and clothes size, but really haven't lost much weight. Last week I took a break from the gym (it was just a super busy week and I was exhausted). I still watched what I ate but took about 5 days off from any exercise.. and I LOST 5 lbs in the week. I'm not complaining but it just confuses me. So my questions are- Has this happened to anyone else... and how is this supposed to motivate me to keep working out? Does it just take a break for your body to start burning off the fat and attacking the pounds? Thanks

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    What happens when you train hard your body may tend to hold onto extra water weight. When you workout hard this may happen. Your body probably needed to break and is catching up with what your doing. I train hard and the scale does not move to often if it does it is not much. If I take a couple of days then I sometimes see a few lbs less. Keep up the hard work
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did notice this after I did the 30-day shred, for 30 days in a row and then I took a week off. I have seen some explanation for a cheat-day on calories might work, but not why the break from the gym leads to weightloss.
    5 lbs in a week, though, cannot be all fat loss, but it makes you wonder...
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water when you are working them hard and consistently. Once you stop, they released the water. You lost that 5 pounds gradually, it just didn't show up on the scale until you flushed out the water that was masking it.
    Take at least one rest day a week, and drink a ton of water, all the time, not just on your rest day. You retain water if your body thnks it isn't taking in enough. Show it that it has a plentiful supply coming in and it will release what it is storing.
  • kimbruundk
    Options
    You might also have built muscles while training and they ar a bit heavier than fat.

So fat has been burned and muscles have been built.

at some point the muscle-building will take off a bit and you will be able to see this on the scale - actually loosing weight and be fit/looking fit at the same time. - nice...!

Cheerio

Kim