Just walking?

Options
I was wondering if anyone has any insight to walking and toning. I'm using my treadmill and walking at an incline at 3 mph. Will this help tone my waist an stomache too? I really enjoy the treadmill, but my midsection is what is in need. I do 30 day shred every now and then but can't seem to stick with it.

Thanks for any tips

Replies

• hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Okay... maybe a little more info. I am walking at the very least 2 miles a day at 3 1/2 mph. Does anyone know if this is going to tone just my legs or have they lost in the midsection as well b y walking?

Thanks
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you'll burn some calories that way, but your legs and possibly your butt are all it will tone- try to do your 30ds instead or in addition to the walking- your tummy won't shape up just walking
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if walking will do anything for toning, I just regard it as cardio. It's all I do for weight loss but I've been told to incorporate strength training in order to tone my stomach/legs. I might take up pilates at some point..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    "toning" is a combination of weight loss and muscle retention.

Weight loss happens via calorie deficit. This is largely diet based, but some cardio (i.e. your walking) can be a factor as well..
    Muscle retention is about strength training and getting enough protein.

So, to your question. Will walking help? Yea, maybe a little, but a good diet along with some regular strength training will go much further.

On a side note... in both posts you asked about toning your midsection. You can't really control how/where you tone (since toning is mostly about fat loss). All you can do is burn the fat and lose the weight, then be patient as your trouble spots will be the last place you see progress.

• beenbad43
    beenbad43 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have heard that swinging arms will tone core... I am new to all this so I speak with little authority... my tummy needs it the most too, and I am on a elliptical, my waist is down almost seven inches, good luck with your tummy
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a notorious walker. It's my comfort zone. Unfortunately, I've found that if I want to see results in places besides my legs I'll need to step out of my comfort zone. I've started circuit training and strength training and have even forced my fat *kitten* to run a little. Seems pretty simple... if you want to see changes in your whole body, you gotta move your whole body! Good luck to you!!
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you know the answer already you need to do more than walking to tone anything but your rear end and legs.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, I love it. I also try to hold in my stomach while walking. Its really hard. Its like doing a crunch while standing up. It helps with the core. However, adding in yoga or pilates or zumba will help your midsection too.
  • hmstarbuck
    Options
    Thank you all for the info. I kind of figured that but there was a discussion with some peeps and it had mixed answers. I think I will start doing the 6 week 6 pack in the morning and the walking in the evening. I am staying within a 1400 calorie day. Thanks everyone!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Id say do 30 day shred daily then add walking in a few days a week. Im doing ripped in 30 5 days a week plus Leslie Sansones 5 mile walk dvd 2-3 days a week for extra cardio, I jog during any walking in place sections for an added boost
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree that adding strength training is what you should do if you want to see some muscle tone. Cardio will help to an extent-- like if you were very out of shape and overweight to begin with, because you would most likely be going from very sedentary to active, which IS going to use muscles that are not being used. So you would be stronger, overall. But, it's not going to really tone muscles that you aren't using very much of. I've recently added kettlebells into my routine and I'm already seeing some upper arm and shoulder definition after a few weeks of doing 4-5 30 minute sets. I'm doing squat curls also, and my thighs are sore all the time, so I'm expecting something to happen there, as well. My core feels stronger, but I still have around 16 lbs to lose before reaching my goal weight, so I'm not expecting to see much definition in the middle for a while, since that is where much of my fat seems to be at the moment.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Keep inching up on the incline and speed. I started doing 2 songs at the speed I was doing, and then pushing it up 2 tenths of a mph every third song. You can do the same with the incline.
  • hmstarbuck
    Options
    The incline that I do is as high as my treadmill goes. So I do know I'm burning the calories. I've not got a lot of weight to lose, I just need to tighten up what I have. So I suppose I will have to do a little more work. I do enjoy the walking. It really gets me moving in the mornings and I've found that I stay kind of "jacked" up most of the day.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do incline intervals.Due to a recent surgery, I've only been cleared to walk, so I try to make the best of it. I wear a HRM and I can burn anywhere between 450-540 calories during a 45 minute walk on the treadmill. I change it up but somehow keep coming back to this one - I set the incline at 6 with a speed of 4.5 for 15 minutes, increase the incline to 7 for 10 minutes, bring the incline down to 2 for 5 minutes at a speed of 5, bring incline back up to 7 for 5 minutes with the speed back at 4.5 ,back down to 2 incline, 5 speed for 5 and finish with 5 minutes on incline of 8 and speed of 4.3. There are many ways to change it up. This is just an example of one of my treadmill routines. A nice perk is that my butt is firming up :)