Any Slow Weight Loss Success Stories?

Options
Did it take anyone a a long, hard time to lose all the weight? I need inspiration. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 0110Charlotte
    0110Charlotte Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have 40ish pounds left to lose but am not forcing myself to lose it all in a certain amount of time. Just working away at it slowly so I look smokin when I get married 4 or 5 years down the road. lol
    Since May 1st I have lost 17.8lbs and although it has been slow, it has been a total lifestyle makeover, not just a quick fix. And that feels amazing:) I have gone from XL/L to L/M.
    A few years back, I lost 35 lbs over the course of about 3 months and felt pretty bad. I lost the weight too fast, I guess my body couldn't adjust. I had never fainted before but had fainted 3 times, was always cold, and to make the worst of it, within a couple years I had put it all back on plus 10 lbs!!
    My advice, take it slow, you will get there and will be more likely to stay there! :)
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It took me about 4 months to lose 10 pounds. I was losing about .5 lbs a week. Still working at it....
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    <i>XL/L to L/M. </i>

Sometimes this is the best inspiration. Mine started quick but has really slowed down, and I am also really active now. However, I was getting frustrated with myself when I had two NSVS. I could fit into all my sisters medium sized clothes & look good in them, and I bought a pair of jeans from a store that I used to be a 15/16 in, and I fit into a 9/10 comfortably. Sometimes it really isnt the number.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're all making it work. :) I've been here since late May and WAS enjoying taking the slower route. Been averaging a lb a week loss. But recently I had to cut calories even further to get the scale moving again and it's taking a toll on my body. Busting my butt for 1 lb a week is annoying sometimes. I want to lose 89 more lbs and would like to reach goal before I get gray hairs, lol.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    strongmindstr, I suggest reading some of the interesting articles and comments regarding macros and calorie needs. Cutting your calorie total even more is probably not the correct answer for you. (Especially if you feel like crap. :frown: ) Don't be afraid to experiment with macro percentages, possibly changing your setting of normal activity level (sedentary/light/moderate) and even INCREASING your daily calorie count. But most of all always be honest with yourself and track every bite. When I tried MFP before I cheated MYSELF by not counting every bite. [notice I joined in Nov. 2012] This time everything that goes into the "pie hole" gets counted :laugh: and it is making a difference. [my weight loss is just in the last 2 months] Keep going! 1 lb a week is awesome, ANY amount lost is a win!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Meeee! I am! I think I am definitely taking a long time to lose the weight, and I am totally OK with that. It has taken me 1 year 9 months to lose 62 pounds. For the most part, it's been intentional. I was hoping to be at my goal weight by October 31st this year, which would be 2 years since I've started, but I won't quite make it. That's cool with me. When I first started trying to get fit, I knew it would take a long time because I refused to eat like a bird, and I also wanted to preserve as much muscle and avoid as much loose skin as possible. I think I have accomplished that! I've also learned to eat in a way that I can maintain for the rest of my life. I didn't make drastic changes all at once that would make me lose weight fast and then gain it back once I went back to "normal." If it takes me another year to lose the last 25-30 pounds, I'm OK with that, too.
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been on a weight loss journey for about a year and and half. It has been slow, but I am alomost down 70 pounds. You know the old saying: "Slow and steady wins the race." Also by losing slower, it will also help prevent regain and it helps with not having as much excess skin. I have found that the combination of high-protein low carb has done wonders for me and combining it with circuit training and cardio is best. Good luck and feel free to add me if you want :)
  • sassyann45
    sassyann45 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 2 years to lose 65 pounds. I have had to learn to overcome emotional eating. I do well most days. I take one day at a time and I feel great!!! I have 40 or so more to lose and I know it will take awhile but I am in it for the long hall. It is not a diet but a life style change. Add me as a friend if you want....just take one day at a time.
  • watercolorarteest
    watercolorarteest Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18lbs since 4/11/2013. I don't know what's "normal" vs "healthy" vs "slow" weight loss; but for me it's slow. Of ocurse, I'd love to just have the weight fall off (I am working hard at it), but intellectually I know better. I didn't gain the weight quickly... but over time and neglect. So over time I must work to get it off. Stay the course. Besides, I hear slow weight loss is more permanent anyway. :) You can do it!

For me, I visit the "Success Stories" community board almost daily for a dose of inspiration to keep me motivated.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I started in October 2010 at around 190 (don't know the exact number because I never weighed myself). In August 2012, I reached my lowest weight of 145 (Goal was 157 but I wasn't really happy with what I saw in the mirror at that point). So, almost 2 years to lose 45 pounds. At 145 I was getting concerned looks and comments that made me realize I needed to put some back on (My BF was worried he'd break me). Took 2012-2103 winter off and by June 2013 I was 160. I'm trying to get back down to 155, but since I'm mostly lifting and eating at a deficit I'm not really worried about what the scale says, I'm more worried about what the mirror says.

I'm 5'11 and 34. I'm hoping to stay in the 150-160 range for the rest of my life. Maintainance is no picnic either, so don't be in an hurry to get to goal.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I started on January 1st and I've lost 31 pounds so far:/
  • rmendezjr
    Options
    Starting in October of 2012, I weighed 261 lbs. My goaI is to lose the 61 lbs. I lost 37 lbs between then and May 2013. I currently weigh 228 lbs. Over the last 4 months I have stalled out and struggled to lose the extra 28 lbs. But because of Fitnness pal, I have not gained hardly any weight back in those months, other than fluctuating up and down within 4 lbs. or so. I did not get discouraged when I stopped losing weight but I was highly encouraged and more motivated by the fact that I have not gained the weight back. So just stick to the plan and I'm sure you will see the results. Maybe not as fast as you'd like to see them, but you will see them non the less. Remember, patience has its rewards. Nothing good comes from trying to lose it all in one day. Good luck.
  • inthedistrict
    inthedistrict Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been in since May as well. I've done the yoyo thing over the past few years. Last year lost 17 lb for my son's wedding and gained it back plus some. This time I want to do it slow and effect lasting change. For the last 4 weeks I've been maintaining and am starting to lose again. I'm more active and have more energy as a result and feel much better. Lesson learned, less is more, slow and steady is better. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to friend me.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! It's the only way to maintain your weight. You have to take your time and make small changes. It will give you long term success and your skin will adjust nicely, too.
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Me! I've been on myfitnesspal for almost 3 years. I was at 53 lbs lost in January, but I had foot surgery and gained back around 8 lbs. Currently, I've lost 49 lbs. My starting goal was 60 lbs, which would put me at 145 lbs. I'm thinking that once I reach that goal, I will work on toning up, more than cardio. I have had some bumps along the road- foot surgery, planning a wedding, 2 moves, etc. I'm happy with my progress so far, and I believe that losing it this way will help me to develop a healthy lifestyle, rather than viewing it as a short-term diet plan.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    took me almost a year to loose 30 lbs! Had a few set backs, but the key is to start over the next day if one day goes not as you hoped!!!
  • kanadian_bear
    Options
    Yes, it's taken me a year to lose 32 lbs doing it the slow and steady way! On average I'm losing about 10 lbs every 4-5 months and have set my goal to lose 1/2 lb a week. So far I'm on track and have about 13 lbs left to go till I surpass my goal weight and hit my "better than that" weight which is 5 lbs under my goal weight. That will allow for any sudden weight gain after I start into maintenance.

I tell ya this is the best way to do it. Just have patience. The rewards far outweigh the waiting.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I'm one... I guess :blushing:

I still have 12 pounds to go to be successful in my own mind... but I joined MFP in May of 2011. Got serious about it in July 2011. Since then I have lost 40 pounds (2 pounds up from being silly)

It's been slow, but that is A-O-K for me. I will lose my 50th pound eventually.
    I'm 5'3", 33 years old, and I am a calorie slave... I don't watch much else, but I do strive to get in a minimum of 30 min of exercise a day. Sometimes that exercise is broken into 10 min increments. I drink a minimum of 64oz water a day in addition to diet drinks and coffee.
    I know that I COULD lose faster if I worked harder... but I'm comfortable doing what I do. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It took me about 15 years to gain the 60 pounds I needed to lose. I started my weightloss journey about 9 years ago, and I need to lose about 15 more pounds to make my goal. I feel like if it takes me 15 years to lose the weight it took me to gain in 15 years, I'm doing a fanstastic job. Besides, slow weight loss has kept me from having a lot of baggy, loose skin, and my stretch marks - which will never completely disappear - are becoming much less noticeable. Never, ever give up. This is not a race, but a journey that should last a lifetime.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    <
    I started my "journey" January 2012. Though my ticker says I have 15lbs to go, clothing size-wise I'm pretty much wear I want to be, so I'm just focusing on building muscle, which is causing me to lose inches but not much in pounds. I started by just watching what I ate, cutting back on sweets, by the time I joined MFP I became more conscious of portion size and calories. I think because I've been doing this for over a year, it has become second nature for me to make better choices without having to put much thought into what I eat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!