Irritable bowel and 'healthy' eating, sometimes don't go tog

Options
I was recently diagnosed with hormone related Irritable Bowel Syndrome (I.e. worse during menstrual cycles). One of the changes that exacerbated the flare up was 'eating too much greens, fibers etc". It is DEFINITELY worse during a week of my month, and eating healthfully is tricky. I still want to eat healthfully, but not so rough on the digestive system.

I am lactose intolerant as well, so that takes out dairy (and yogurt unfortunately). And the IBS flares with SPICY foods (ie salsa, cayenne pepper, jalapenos etc).
So I guess my question is: what are some foods that are mild to the digestive system, but healthy for me as well as pleasant (ish) ;) to eat.

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    By chance did you have your gallbladder out?
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I would try having sweet potatoes and chicken, bananas, whole grains, and dairy free alternatives to yogurt (the health food stores have some great ones). Stay away from the legumes though!

Good luck to you!
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have same issue other than TOM. Just make sure your fiber is in check. I also take acidophilus pills. They have the same bacteria as yogurt. They help ALOT.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    hi there,

I have the same symptoms - diagnosed 10 years ago. I know this may not help much but the best advice I can give is to listen to your body and learn what works for you. I know various fellow IBS sufferers who need a high fibre diet and as many like myself who a high fibre diet just about kills! :(

I eat a lot of chicken and pork - but have to watch on the red meat as sometimes that makes things worse. I find fish tends to be ok. I have to avoid very high fibre breads (especially ones with lots of seeds) so I stick to white breads. I avoid bran completely. I find most vegetables are ok, except for raw pepper and cucumber. And my saviour is peppermint (or peppermint and liquorice) tea. But a word of caution - peppermint either works for your IBS or against it. I know some people that cannot mamage it at all - but it helps calm my symptoms.

Even after 10 years I make some mistakes and eat things I shouldn't but you do learn what your body can cope with and it does get easier to live with.

Good luck - I know it isn't easy.

C
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!!!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    hi there,

I have the same symptoms - diagnosed 10 years ago. I know this may not help much but the best advice I can give is to listen to your body and learn what works for you. I know various fellow IBS sufferers who need a high fibre diet and as many like myself who a high fibre diet just about kills! :(

I eat a lot of chicken and pork - but have to watch on the red meat as sometimes that makes things worse. I find fish tends to be ok. I have to avoid very high fibre breads (especially ones with lots of seeds) so I stick to white breads. I avoid bran completely. I find most vegetables are ok, except for raw pepper and cucumber. And my saviour is peppermint (or peppermint and liquorice) tea. But a word of caution - peppermint either works for your IBS or against it. I know some people that cannot mamage it at all - but it helps calm my symptoms.

Even after 10 years I make some mistakes and eat things I shouldn't but you do learn what your body can cope with and it does get easier to live with.

Good luck - I know it isn't easy.

C

Thank you! I don't eat red meat either, not only does it throw my IBS into fits, but my husband and 3 boys have an intolerance to it...I often say, I can't have anything that comes from a cow.
    Thank you again!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    By chance did you have your gallbladder out?

Nope. Does it sound gall bladder related?
  • Brboatwright
    Options
    I have crohns (that is where my weight gain came from - prednisone). I am now heavier than ever after being really thin, I weigh 215 yuk! But any way. For me, tuna is great and so is yogurt and jello. Since I have been on remicade, I am able to eat pretty much whatever...another cause for weight gain. Fish does seem to be easy on my stomach when I am having a flare up as well as carrots cooked soft and green beans. I can also eat hard boiled eggs without a problem.
  • kriswithmany
    kriswithmany Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! A high-fiber diet does help - but it can't be just any fiber. When I have flare-ups, I take lots of citrucel pills. I'll take 3-4 right before I eat, with lots of water. It's sounds backwards, but it is a soluble fiber. That means that it soaks up water. It doesn't matter if you're constipated or the opposite, it helps bring you back to center. Really, it does! Try it, it is the one thing that truly makes a huge difference for me. Taking the acidopholus helps too. I found the "pearls" work better than other forms. I really hope this helps. I know how awful those IBS episodes are!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I have the same problem! A high-fiber diet does help - but it can't be just any fiber. When I have flare-ups, I take lots of citrucel pills. I'll take 3-4 right before I eat, with lots of water. It's sounds backwards, but it is a soluble fiber. That means that it soaks up water. It doesn't matter if you're constipated or the opposite, it helps bring you back to center. Really, it does! Try it, it is the one thing that truly makes a huge difference for me. Taking the acidopholus helps too. I found the "pearls" work better than other forms. I really hope this helps. I know how awful those IBS episodes are!
    FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so much for these great tips!