Almased

Options

Replies

• zelda1113
    zelda1113 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

surprise, a government agency bought and paid for by big pharma doesn't want us stupid people to be able to read information and make determinations on our own. Anyone depending solely on the FDA for their information about nutrition has been duped
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

surprise, a government agency bought and paid for by big pharma doesn't want us stupid people to be able to read information and make determinations on our own. Anyone depending solely on the FDA for their information about nutrition has been duped
    You need to read carefully, really.

Almased (or at least the previous version of its website) claims to cure or prevent diabetes and other sorts of illnesses. By law any product that claims to cure or prevent illness is considered a drug. If it's a drug, then in USA you can't sell it without FDA's approval.

They can claim all day long that they aid in weight loss, but not claim to be a cure for anything.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been using Almased since June. I drink it 2x a day. I couldn't do the 3 day cleanse, it was just too much. I only use 6 tablespoons because I am 5'2" and I mix mine with a banana, some cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and unsweetened coconut milk. Tastes great. I've got lots of energy and I'm down almost 10 pounds. I haven't been working out yet, so once I do start working out, I will lose faster, I guess but it's more about feeling better and having energy, which I do. I have also noticed my skin and hair look better as well. It's made in Germany, so it's not US GMO soy. It's non-GMO and no added colors, sweeteners, or fillers. I use it because it's non-GMO. It's a nice meal replacement for me because I am a busy mother to 3 children and it's easier for me to whip up a shake in my blender and drink it quickly. I buy mine on Amazon and you can find it on other websites as well. I usually do a smoothie after I work out with fruit, chia seeds, and coconut milk and I don't see any difference between that and a regular protein shake so many people swear by after their workouts. To each his/her own.
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi hollin40 I am new to trying Almased, day 2 for me. I like the idea of adding chia seeds. I had read somewhere either on their site or in their pamphlet I got with the product about adding a tsp of oil, so I did that on the first one. The next I drank with some almond milk, I liked the taste better than with water. I have also tried it with cinnamon, some flax meal and ice in a blender, very yummy.
    10 lbs since June!! awesome. I hope for good results as well, I have heard 1-2 lb a week is typical.
    Do you eat for the third meal? Day one was hard for me, felt hungry all day. I didn't have the budget to buy a bunch of veggies to juice or make broth so I opted for the low sodium v8 and had that a couple times, with plenty of water all day (4 bottles, 20oz each). Almased at dinner. Was still hungry at bed time so had a small handful of walnuts (previous research I have learned they are a great for helping with the hungries)
    Today I did my Almased in the morning, opted for sliced tomatoes and a little turkey sausage for mid morning snack and a protein shake(I have some powder I am trying to use up) that I blended with a little homemade soy yogurt (seemed more filling)... plan to have Almased for dinner
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • leclairt
    leclairt Posts: 1
    Options
    I started Almased yesterday- I have hypothyroidism, and have been struggling with my weight for over a year, even with going to the gym three times a week. (Regarding soy and thyroid medication: the synthyroid website says to allow four hours between soy and the medication) Almased (with water only) to me tastes horrible/ barely drinkable. I'm going to try using almond milk to see if it helps after reading some of the posts here. Yesterday, I wasn't hungry, and had good energy. I hope to see some weight loss this week.
  • mistyvanarkel
    mistyvanarkel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for telling us where to get it cheaper. I buy it my local grocery store, they had 1 at a time, when I asked the grocer to buy more, the priced jumped from $29.99 to $34.99 a can. I will definitely be looking online.

I love Almased!! I drink it in the morning, with unsweeted Almond milk, a 1/2 banana. I mix it up with my Nutibullet. Tastes great. I also add it to my lunch, using a blender bottle. I don't have sweet cravings and it satisfies me. I love it!!!

I dont add, oil. Can someone please tell me the benefits of adding a tsp of oil, and which one to add, flax, coconut or avacodo? Thanks
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

You need to read carefully, really.

Almased (or at least the previous version of its website) claims to cure or prevent diabetes and other sorts of illnesses. By law any product that claims to cure or prevent illness is considered a drug. If it's a drug, then in USA you can't sell it without FDA's approval.

They can claim all day long that they aid in weight loss, but not claim to be a cure for anything.

It's interesting to view the reactions of people when the FDA issues a letter like this. One hand will use the letter as evidence that the product is worthless, a sham, and that the company is lying. The other half will use it as an example that the FDA is in the pockets of big pharma -- both are wrong and neither actually read the letters, I think.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Almased Synergy Diet? If so, what kind of results did you have? Were there any side effects? If you are also diabetic how were your blood sugar levels affected? I really want to try it but I need some positive or negative feedback...

Thanks everyone!

i did drink it for about 6 months since i was working from 7am till 8pm so it saved time for making food. I really like the taste and structure but i didnt have a scale back then or was on a diet so i cant tell you about the weight loss results
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    wow it must be like Body By Vi - cure MS, and make blind people see again. Let the fleecing of the pocketbook begin for those who want a "quick easy fix"

SMH seriously???
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it until today.

The FDA says their claims make it a drug and they need to either apply through the FDA process or reword their statements. Most likely they reworded their statements so they don't make drug claims.

Now that that's settled, what exactly is Almased? It's a fermented soy protein powder. Is there any reason why a protein powder needs to be fermented soy to be beneficial for diabetics? Not that I'm aware of.

So then we have nutritional value to look at:

Fermented soy based (soy can, in some instances, cause issues, particularly with men and their testostorone)
    Calories: 180
    Protein: 27g (6.7 calories per gram)
    Carbs: 15g (12 calories per gram)
    Fiber: 0.5g (360 calories per gram)
    Sugars: 12g (15 calories per gram)

Compare it to Trutein Cinnabon (a combination of whey isolate, casein and egg proteins)
    Calories: 115
    Protein: 24g (4.8 calories per gram) Better
    Carbs: 5g (23 calories per gram) Better
    Fiber: 3g (38 calories per gram) Better
    Sugars: 1g (115 calories per gram) Better

Mathematically, I'd go with the Trutein. It's better in every category for diabetics, unless there's something I don't understand about diabetes.

NOTE: I chose Trutein because I know the math on it is spectacular. I could have easily replaced it with about half a dozen different protein powders and gotten similar results, albeit less spectacularly.
    Optimum Nutrition
    Pure Protein
    Six Star
    Body Fortress
    IsoPure
    EAS
    And many, many more!
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Mathematically, I'd go with the Trutein. It's better in every category for diabetics, unless there's something I don't understand about diabetes.

Direct causes of T2 diabetes. Go.

Nothing? Too bad. I was hoping we could solve that one for the scientific community before lunch. We coulda been rich, I tell you. Rich!
    NOTE: I chose Trutein because I know the math on it is spectacular. I could have easily replaced it with about half a dozen different protein powders and gotten similar results, albeit less spectacularly.
    Optimum Nutrition
    Pure Protein
    Six Star
    Body Fortress
    IsoPure
    EAS
    And many, many more!

True Protein (might be true nutrition now) has protein powder (that's quite tasty) in a bunch of zero-carb flavors as well. You can build your own combination of proteins/fats/carbs/etc. to get the ratio you want.
  • aakaakaak
    Options

Nothing? Too bad. I was hoping we could solve that one for the scientific community before lunch. We coulda been rich, I tell you. Rich!
    I did look into it a bit a while back. Effectively a shut down/desensitization in insulin receptors caused by overeating carbs, fats and/or proteins. Some studies show that a certain protein synthase/synthesis reduces the likelihood of insulin desensitization becoming full blown T2, but in general it seems to point towards general excess of macronutrients.

This study points directly at carbs as the culprit and states that vegetable fats show a decreased risk of T2 in females. They did not find correlation with other macronutrients:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23378452

But not being intimate with the topic, I'm sure there are 1,001 studies I've missed that say different things.
    True Protein (might be true nutrition now) has protein powder (that's quite tasty) in a bunch of zero-carb flavors as well. You can build your own combination of proteins/fats/carbs/etc. to get the ratio you want.

Sooooo many options.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I did look into it a bit a while back. Effectively a shut down/desensitization in insulin receptors caused by overeating carbs, fats and/or proteins. Some studies show that a certain protein synthase/synthesis reduces the likelihood of insulin desensitization becoming full blown T2, but in general it seems to point towards general excess of macronutrients.

This study points directly at carbs as the culprit and states that vegetable fats show a decreased risk of T2 in females. They did not find correlation with other macronutrients:

But not being intimate with the topic, I'm sure there are 1,001 studies I've missed that say different things.

That was actually one of the studies I thought about when I asked the question. :)

There are a ton of informed guesses, but no consensus as of yet. It's unfortunate.

Sooooo many options.
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    At least most of them point in generally the same direction: Too many macronutrients of some variety, specific or in general.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    At least most of them point in generally the same direction: Too many macronutrients of some variety, specific or in general.

For what it's worth, I'd bank on carb overconsumption as the best correlator, because it seems to make sense mechanically, but I've been wrong before.
  • lenaclairee
    Options
    Today marks day 4 of my journey on the almased diet, and so far so good. I would like to state that the first two days were difficult for me, and I did cheat, slightly. Don't let that discourage you, your body does adapt. The hunger goes away and so do the cravings.

I drink my shakes 3x daily and quite frankly, they are DELICIOUS!
    I mix mine with:
    6oz unsweetened almond milk
    6oz water
    8 tablespoons almased powder
    1/2 packet of stevia natural sweetener
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    a sprinkle of cinnamon powder
    3 dops vanilla extract.

So far I am on day 4 and am down 5 pounds.... so we shall see!
    I also still have energy to go to the gym daily.

Best of luck to you all! :drinker:
  • brissell
    brissell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try it with almond milk and add vanilla extract or almond extract. Makes it taste like melted ice cream.

Also nice to blend it with a blender and add ice.
  • brissell
    Options
    I don't understand what this post is trying to make me aware of. Why is the conversation about T2 diabetes? Would love a respond from author. Seems to be so important information here that I may be missing the point on.

Thanks in advance.

quote]

Sooooo many options.
    [/quote]
  • brissell
    Options
    To answer the first question asked to open this discussion.

I tried Almased for 2 months (June 5 - August 16). I did the 3 days, 3 shakes and then I switched to 2 shakes per day opting to eat supper as it was just easier and more convenient to eat supper with my husband. I found it filling, quick, easy and it did give me energy and make me sleep better. I used the recipes provided in their guide for my one meal/day for weeks. The recipes are worth a try even if you don't try the shakes.

http://www.almased.com/files/cm/New Regular FP brochure.pdf

Chopped Greek Salad with Garlic-Tomato Toasts for Two - Yummy!
    French Onion Beef Tenderloin and Lemons Lovers Aspargus - LOVE THIS!!
    Crispy Baked Drumsticks with Honey-Mustard Sauce and Vinegary Coleslaw for Two - Not bad, I don't like coleslaw and I enjoyed this.

First, I used 6 TBSPs of powder because I'm only 5'4". Page 14 on their diet guide (http://www.almased.com/files/cm/Weight_Loss_Program_Low Res_NEW_FP.pdf) is the only place I have ever seen them talk about the portion according to height so, I can get 13 servings off of a can. Some Shoppers Drug Mart sells the product here in Canada - not all. It occassional marked on sale for $29.99. GNC sells for $34.99

Second, I always mixed mine shake with 1 TBSP of walnut oil, 1 TBSP of almond extract, 6 TBSP of almonds and 1 1/4 cup of almond coconut milk. I blend in blender with ice.

A few women at my workplace has tried Almased with varying results. We all had issues with our urine being very brightly colored. I guess because you can absorb all the vitamins?? Some got diarrhea while others were constipated.
    I didn't have either of those issues until I gave up Almased to go on vacation and then tried to use it once/day on my return. My body did not agree to going back on the diet.

Also, when I gave up Almased. I had issues with my hair falling out. I don't know if it's related to the product or not yet. I'm mentioning it here in case some one else had this experience. And now I'm finding out I have high blood sugar. If anyone else has had either of these issues..feel free to contact me.

Has anyone tried the Almased Synergy Diet? If so, what kind of results did you have? Were there any side effects? If you are also diabetic how were your blood sugar levels affected? I really want to try it but I need some positive or negative feedback...

Thanks everyone!