Fage Plain 2% Suggestions?

Options
emAZn
emAZn Posts: 413 Member
I just switched from no-fat vanilla store brand greek yogurt to Fage plain 2%.. Holy cow the difference in texture and nutrients is AMAZING!! But, I'm looking for recipies to spice/sweeten it up a bit, the flavoring is a bit tart to me since I'm used to the vanilla flavor that I usually just used as "milk" and mixed in with cereal and berries.

What's your favorite way to eat your plain 2%?

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    some maple syrup or honey? I usually buy the cups with either fruit or honey in them from Fage, but it also works good as a sandwich spread if you buy the plain ones
  • emAZn
    Options
    Honey is a good suggestion, thanks! I found this recipe online and I think I'll be trying this one :)

Cookie Dough Greek Yogurt
    http://www.girlgonecountry.com/recipes-2/cookie-dough-greek-yogurt-3/

Ingredients
    1 small container of plain Greek yogurt
    1 tbsp nut butter (I used peanut butter)
    1 tbsp sweetener (like maple syrup or honey)
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    pinch of sea salt

1 tbsp mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)

Directions
    Combine the Greek Yogurt with the nut butter, sweetener, vanilla and sea salt. Mix until smooth.
    Top with Mini Chocolate chips.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I usually add vanilla protein powder to my plain Greek yogurt to give it some extra flavor. You can also try date paste. Take one cup of dates (pitted and chopped) and put them in a food processor. Slowly add one cup of hot water and let it run for another minute. It creates a mixture that is like a thick apple sauce and so tasty!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I forgot, I used to add PB2 to plain yogurt and that was always good, especially the chocolate PB2
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If it is the vanilla taste you miss you could just add some vanilla extract/essence?

That Cookie Dough Greek Yogurt looks yummy, keeping that recipe thanks!
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A TBS of unsweetened cocoa powder, a shake of cinnamon, 1/2 of splenda packet, and a 1/4 cup of any fruit you like.
    You can also add 1/8 cup of old fashioned oats.
    YUM and full of fiber, protein and a little fat.
  • emAZn
    Options
    Oo chocolate PB2 sounds amazing!

I do tend to like my yogurt a little bit on the sweet side but that's just what I'm used to.

I saw another recipe that you can add hidden valley ranch seasoning to it to make a veggie dip which would be a great afternoon snack.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    A drizzle of agave syrup works too. Or a spoonful of fruit preserves.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of honey and it's amazing. :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I mix PB2 and banana with my greek yogurt in the blender with a few ounces of skim milk - - so delicious. I have also just mixed the PB2 straight up with the yogurt. The cookie dough recipe sounds awesome.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just switched from no-fat vanilla store brand greek yogurt to Fage plain 2%.. Holy cow the difference in texture and nutrients is AMAZING!! But, I'm looking for recipies to spice/sweeten it up a bit, the flavoring is a bit tart to me since I'm used to the vanilla flavor that I usually just used as "milk" and mixed in with cereal and berries.

You can still use it in place of milk, but it comes out a bit thick in a full bowl of just cereal. What I like is a big scoop of Fage, a big spoonful of fresh, defrosted, or macerated berries, and just a handful of the cereal. Depending on the sweetness of the berries and your sweet tooth, you might add a dab of honey, but don't go overboard.

Or... I once mixed a spoonful of peanut butter and a spoonful of nutella into a quarter cup of Fage. Then I used it as dip for some fresh strawberries.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I mix a 170g pot with 1 tbsp honey, a handful of frozen raspberries (they melt as you mix it) and 1 crumbled meringue nest.

It is soooo good!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Right now, because they're in season, I'm loving adding 1/2-3/4 cup of fresh blueberries. YUM!! I've also recently started adding a Tbsp of chia seeds. If I run out of berries, I add 1 Tbsp of natural strawberry jam or whatever I have on hand for homemade jam.

Have to add a little vent here - I'm not sure why (suspect the antiquated thinking that fat makes you fat) but none of the stores around here carry the tubs of Fage 2% anymore. I can get the single size servings but that seems like extra waste to me, plus they're more expensive. So most of the time I make due with the fat free. Not nearly as creamy or filling but it's a close 2nd.
  • emAZn
    Options
    Right now, because they're in season, I'm loving adding 1/2-3/4 cup of fresh blueberries. YUM!! I've also recently started adding a Tbsp of chia seeds. If I run out of berries, I add 1 Tbsp of natural strawberry jam or whatever I have on hand for homemade jam.

Have to add a little vent here - I'm not sure why (suspect the antiquated thinking that fat makes you fat) but none of the stores around here carry the tubs of Fage 2% anymore. I can get the single size servings but that seems like extra waste to me, plus they're more expensive. So most of the time I make due with the fat free. Not nearly as creamy or filling but it's a close 2nd.

I hear ya! Fage is pretty much the only brand in my store that sells 2% every other brand is 0%... pshh don't they know I'm trying to meet my fat macro?!?! Also it bugs me that the blended 2% versions have less protein than the plain.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Naked :tongue: ..

oh wait, you meant...:embarassed:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

My local store didn't even have any 0% last night, Chobani or Fage :-( But yeah - finding the higher fat version is definitely much harder! I like the texture a lot more than for the 0%, plus it has fat in, right!

I mix a 1/2 cup of yoghurt with blueberries and a handful or two or Kashi GoLean Crunch.
  • kerrierndavis
    Options
    I use those flavored drink packets made for water. My favorite is cherry Crush, but they all improve the flavor tremendously and only add 5 calories.
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Add a half cup to one cup of fresh fruit chopped to each serving of plain Fage yogurt.

I use the 0% fat version, I need to control cholesterol, to me it tastes rich and creamy,
    every other non fat version of yogurt tastes thin and or chalky.

I love it with blueberries.
  • emAZn
    Options
    I use those flavored drink packets made for water. My favorite is cherry Crush, but they all improve the flavor tremendously and only add 5 calories.

Oooo, I have crystal light lemonade and I bet it would be amazing with some strawberries.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump