How many calories should I eat?

I'm new here, been logging for a few weeks eating 1200 calories and have not been doing any exercise. Its working pretty well for me so far. Ive lost about 3kgs after the initial loss.
After reading some other posts here I'm worried my metabolism will slow down if this isn't enough food for me.
I weigh 79kg and am 170cm. How do I know if eating this amount is safe for me?

Replies

• chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Doing no exercise I would say you should eat no less than 1500. If you're exercising 1-2 hours a week 1800, 3-5 hours a week 2000. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to keep your vital organs up and running as well as your hormones and various levels at optimum level (cortisol, leptin, etc) I stated at the 1200 too when I joined, lost about 5 lbs and then stopped. Try and exercise if you can its so helpful and good for you, but if you cant atleast make sure your diet is good. High protein, no fast food, dont drink your calories, lots of water and veggies! Good luck, feel free to add me if you want
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Work out your TDEE using a calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). Take 500 off your TDEE - consume this amount of calories each day for 1lb a week weight loss (for me, my TDEE is ~1700, so I eat 1200).

On days you do exercise, log it in, eat back those calories (so on some days I'll eat 1400-500). Just keep that 500 daily deficit which'll add up to a 3500 deficit each week, and there's your lost pound.

Works for me :)
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

use this calculator to set your mfp goals works for lots of us.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    You need to break a sweat on a regular basis. You can be thin as a rail and still unhealthy. Cardio is mandatory, weight training ought to be--it will help with overall physical shape and prevent osteoporosis. For me exercise helps with losing weight by giving you more flexibility--if you over indulge at a party you can make up for it with a nice long walk. It also gives you more eating options since you will be operating with a higher calorie budget. Also, any time in the gym or on the trail is time away from the the siren call of the refrigerator!
  • 00_Staarling
    00_Staarling Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you everyone. All very helpful information - I will try to eat healthier and start exercising instead of this eating less. I will probably bump my calories up a bit and try to use them to eat more fruit and veges