Late Night Snackers UNITE!

Options
I eat perfectly fine all during the day and stay within my limits........ and then the sun goes down.
I guess its just a habit I have developed but when I'm winding down for the day whether it be watching a show or movie, reading a book, or playing a game I find this uncontrollable desire to snack. It's like I can't relax in at night unless I'm munching on something. It doesn't help that the only things I crave are chips, popcorn, alcohol, chocolate, ect.
I think I'm going to start setting goals of only snacking a couple nights a week and go from there. So for the rest of August I will snack on whatever I like for 2 nights a week. September I will only snack 1 night a week. From there I will work on making better snacking chioces.

Now I ask you, how do you control your urge for late night snacking? What are your snacking related goals?

Replies

• thinkofthecosmo
    Options
    I totally understand this problem! Unfortunately I have a lot of trouble controlling my appetite in the evening. I had to remove all temptations from the house. I make sure to eat fun snacks during the day to satisfy the urge and if I'm hungry later on, I drink water, eat low fat pop corn or a small portion of nuts (this really does the trick!)
  • jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah I should just keep it out of the house but my husband wants it sometimes. And I dont want to feel deprived cause then I'll just binge. I guess its about control and moderation.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help! The only thing I have to offer is when those cravings hit me (night eating is my biggest downfall) I get up and do something else, like clean. It's the only way I can fight it...plus, I'm getting more exercise, and my house is spotless.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with snacking at night if you have room for it in your calories. I have 360 calories worth of Ben & Jerry's Greek Frozen Yogurt every single night after my kids have gone to bed. I go to bed full and happy.
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    My late night craving is for chocolate ice cream. If I don't have any in the house, I'll run down the street to the market. For me, it is what it is. I combat that in two ways: 1. I make shore that I'm well below my calorie intake for the day before evening sets in. Then, when I get the munchies, I make sure the calorie intake is less than what I burned during my workout earlier in the day. 2. I work out early in the day - that tends to keep me more active and burning energy throughout the day. Hope this helps!
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with snacking at night if you have room for it in your calories. I have 360 calories worth of Ben & Jerry's Greek Frozen Yogurt every single night after my kids have gone to bed. I go to bed full and happy.

Yummy! I do the same thing...I save room for around 300-350 calories and sometimes I have CHOCOLATE!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Now I ask you, how do you control your urge for late night snacking?

I don't really "control" it. I save calories so that I can eat at night, because that's when I'm the most hungry. Eating late at night won't hinder your weight loss as long as you stay within your daily calorie goal. I eat up to the minute before I go to bed on most nights.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I eat perfectly fine all during the day and stay within my limits........ and then the sun goes down.
    I guess its just a habit I have developed but when I'm winding down for the day whether it be watching a show or movie, reading a book, or playing a game I find this uncontrollable desire to snack. It's like I can't relax in at night unless I'm munching on something. It doesn't help that the only things I crave are chips, popcorn, alcohol, chocolate, ect.
    I think I'm going to start setting goals of only snacking a couple nights a week and go from there. So for the rest of August I will snack on whatever I like for 2 nights a week. September I will only snack 1 night a week. From there I will work on making better snacking chioces.

Now I ask you, how do you control your urge for late night snacking? What are your snacking related goals?

I've noticed I really want a snack around 4pm and at night before bed.... so, I just make sure to plan a snack for those times that fit into my daily goals. I think you'll find if you work around your habits, it'll be easier to make the switch. You usually crave some chips? Try trail mix or mixed nuts. I pre-portion a few out and have them ready in the cabinet in case I get the urge. Usually crave chocolate? Keep some dark chocolate on hand, or a chocolate protein bar.
  • anaduffy
    anaduffy Posts: 74
    Options
    I have started to make my own snack if I want chips I opt for Kale chips when done right they taste like thin potato chips just find healthier snacking option that satisfy the same craving. instead of ice cream try Fro-yo. substitution it will get you through.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I've had the worst problem with late night snacking lately. And by late night I mean 3 am I woke up for no reason and found myself in the kitchen eating spoonfuls of nutella. I have absolutely no willpower when I'm in zombie mode.

To combat it? I suppose I try not to wake up in the middle of the night, or at least if I'm craving something before bed I usually try to fit it in before bed so I don't wake up and absolutely binge in the middle of the night.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know this feel so well. http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5m62g6w8x1rr5zkyo1_500.gif

Honestly, the only thing that works for me is not letting myself even have a portion of "snack". I eat my pre-logged meals and then I'm cut off. Once I start, it's all downhill and I can't stop myself. Best if I just don't give myself that Gateway Snack.

Oreos: not even once.
  • jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response... Most of you have lost quite a bit of wieght and still have your snacks. That's encouraging!
  • pankuneho
    pankuneho Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking was a big problem for me, too! I have willpower all day long, but when the sun goes down, I turned into a ravenous beast! I like to save my daily "treat" (skinny cow ice cream sandwich) for dessert after dinner. I plan my daily calories to allow room for it. After my dessert, the kitchen is "closed". If I'm snacky after that, I only allow myself herbal tea. It is flavorful, and the warm liquid quiets my tummy a bit and takes the edge off. Brushing your teeth after you finish your dinner/dessert is good to try, too. You know you are done eating for the day, and if you snack, you'll have to do it all over again before bed! But what has worked best for me is taking a walk directly after dinner. For some reason, I never feel full enough at dinner time. So I eat my properly portioned dinner, and although I'm still hungry, by the time I come back from my walk, I've digested enough food to feel full. If I don't go for my walk, I'm tempted to keep grazing right after I finish my dinner.