I eat a lot of cereal for breakfast!!!

Options
Every morning I have tons of cereal, like 2-3 bowls!! I always make sure the cereals are low in sugar, fats, etc. I usually eat All Bran, Multigrain Cheerios, Special K, and stuff like that! Just this morning I eat a ton of rice crispies, probably 3 bowls!! On top of it I added a banana, some raisins and nuts ( on one bowl, the rest were plain). My dad was literally shocked of how much i ate, but I keep doing this every morning (or most mornings) and I really hate it. I find that I never really feel full unless i have a lot and I want to know if this is okay? Like will I gain lots of weight because of this? Also is there any really easy breakfast ideas that are healthy and filling? Please help, all help appreciated thank you! I did notice I am not alone on this problem as I have heard many people say this before.

Replies

• paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well, you're going to get quite a few responses on this... and maybe that's what you're looking for. :)

By eating those cereals, you're not getting much (if any) protein in your diet. Protein is very important for muscle growth (and just maintaining the muscles you have). Most people find when they eat protein, they feel much more satisfied than when they just eat carbs (like cereal) because the protein is what your body is really craving. So you can eat all the cereal you want, and you still won't really feel satisfied. Make sense?

I'm not going to do the math but all those bowls of cereal are a lot of calories. So YES... you may gain weight if you keep eating like that, depending on how much exercise you do.

My favorite breakfast... I cook up Eggbeaters like an omelet, fold them over and put them on a toasted English Muffin with 1 slice of Canadian bacon and 1 slice of cheese (usually Swiss). That's VERY satisfying and only about 300 calories.

If you really like cereal, look at Kashi Vanilla Nut Crunch (I think that's what it's called). Whole grains and has a decent amount of protein. Tastes pretty good too.

Hope that helps!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring the bowls? Are you have three servings, or is each bowl heaping? I think a serving a cereal is general about a cup, give or take 1/4 of a cup. And, depending on the cereal, a serving can be anywhere from 100-200+ calories. So, I looked it up, and Rice Krispies has 130 calories for 1.25 cups. So, if you are eating three measured out servings, that's 390 calories. Plus let's say a cup of milk (80 calories for skim), plus the banana and other toppings, you're looking at 500+ calories for breakfast. And, that's only if you're measuring. I know if I just dump cereal into a bowl, I end up with at least 2 servings in there, so you could be at 1000 calories at breakfast.

That being said, you'll only gain weight if you're in a caloric surplus over the day. For me, cereal isn't the most filling, and a hot breakfast satisfies me a bit more. You also need some fat and protein in there to help satisfy. I really like an egg or some egg whites on a whole grain English muffin with some cheese. Sometimes I add bacon or sausage. I also like a bowl of oatmeal with a few egg whites or some yogurt mixed in for extra protein.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight if you're eating more calories than you're burning every day. Your cereal intake can contribute to this if you're eating a bunch of calories that aren't filling you up in the morning. Maybe switch to a mainly protein and fat breakfast like eggs and bacon to fill you up in the morning, it will probably be less calories too.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Does it fit within your calorie goals? If so, then you're eating at a deficit and you should lose.

That having been said, I am always hungry sooner if I eat cereal for breakfast. It just doesn't really do it for me....

Since you asked for suggestions, my absolute favorite breakfast is an omelet made with one egg and three egg whites and then a ton of veggies, spices, herbs, a little cheese. If I add a tiny bit of ham (like an ounce), I leave out the whole egg and add another egg white. I am not great about logging spices, but to the example below, I added turmeric, cayenne, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic. It was super tasty, very filling, and only 314 calories.

I do different veggies, add a little ham or a tablespoon of Hormel bacon pieces (from the jar), use different cheeses (great with a tablespoon of shredded parmesan or an ounce of pepper jack).

Depending on my mood, I might skip the bread and have one cup of shredded hash browns cooked with .5 T olive oil - this only changes the total by 30 calories and you could make it even less if you skipped the oil, but I have the calories to use at this point, so I like the treat.

Generic - Egg White, Fresh, Raw, Large, 3 egg white (33g) 48
    Generic - Eggs - 1 Large Cooked With Pam, 1 egg 70
    Frigo Cheesehead's - 50 Calorie Light String Cheese - String and Swirls, 1 piece (24 grams) 50
    Cascade Pride - Sandwich Thins, 1 thin 100
    Mushrooms - Raw, 1 cup, pieces or slices 15
    Spinach - Baby Raw, 0.5 Cups 85 gr 3 oz 5
    Tomato Raw - Sliced, 4 slice, medium (1/4" thick) (20g) 16
    Zucchini - Raw, Sliced, 0.5 cup sliced 10

I have always done better with protein and a little fat to satisfy my hunger and stick with me better, so this is a good choice for me. Or cold pizza. lol

You might do well with whole grains and milk and there is no reason you can't do that if it fits your "budget" - but if you're eating that much of it to get full, it might be more habit than truly satisfying...? For me, it would take a really big chunk out of my calories first thing in the morning, whereas I like to save more of mine for later - in case I eat with friends, have a drink, want a late snack, etc, in the evening. But everyone is different in terms of what they like - and the numbers aren't magic. You'll decide... :)
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat half a banana 10 blueberries and 6 rasberries in a blender with water then I eat 2 egg whites with mozzarella cheese diced ham onions bell pepper and a slice of toast. It is Filling and under 300 calories:happy:
    I bag the fruit in small zip lock and freeze them to have a cup of smoothie everyday whenever I want kinda cool
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    Also, being a cereal eater, have you tried oatmeal? I love the steel-cut oats, but I like the "quick" 5-minute stuff, too. You can add Stevia or white or brown sugar, molasses, skim/almond/soy milk, banana, blueberries, almonds, pecans, walnuts, apples....the options are endless for variety. You would probably get more full after one serving and still come in with less total calories. It could be different every day if you wanted it to be and you'd get a fair amount of protein, good fiber, and could regulate the fats and calories with add-ins.
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    Most days I eat half a banana 10 blueberries and 6 rasberries in a blender with water then I eat 2 egg whites with mozzarella cheese diced ham onions bell pepper and a slice of toast. It is Filling and under 300 calories:happy:
    I bag the fruit in small zip lock and freeze them to have a cup of smoothie everyday whenever I want kinda cool

This sounds good! I love using frozen fruit for smoothies instead of adding ice - but I never thought of pre-portioning it. Great idea!
  • tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring the bowls? Are you have three servings, or is each bowl heaping? I think a serving a cereal is general about a cup, give or take 1/4 of a cup. And, depending on the cereal, a serving can be anywhere from 100-200+ calories. So, I looked it up, and Rice Krispies has 130 calories for 1.25 cups. So, if you are eating three measured out servings, that's 390 calories. Plus let's say a cup of milk (80 calories for skim), plus the banana and other toppings, you're looking at 500+ calories for breakfast. And, that's only if you're measuring. I know if I just dump cereal into a bowl, I end up with at least 2 servings in there, so you could be at 1000 calories at breakfast.

That being said, you'll only gain weight if you're in a caloric surplus over the day. For me, cereal isn't the most filling, and a hot breakfast satisfies me a bit more. You also need some fat and protein in there to help satisfy. I really like an egg or some egg whites on a whole grain English muffin with some cheese. Sometimes I add bacon or sausage. I also like a bowl of oatmeal with a few egg whites or some yogurt mixed in for extra protein.

Its 3 servings, not heaping bowls!!! And yes I was at a 500+ calorie breakfast today... Good idea thanks!!!!! And also what is calorie surplus? If you are asking, I usually reach under my goal or reach my goal right on!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am also the same, I CRAAAAAAAVE cereal in the morning espeacially something sugary.

However instead of eating something like speacial k eat weetabix with a spoon of honey, its really satisfying and you can have more of it for the amount of calories!

Cereal like the ones you have stated are very high cal especially if you are having three bowls, so it will contribute to weight gain.
  • Carmella9
    Options
    also wait atleast 5 minutes before your next bowl, as you probably arnt giving your brain time to realise that you are actually full!
  • Carmella9
    Options
    one more tip (sorry im out of control lol)

Maybe if you have work/college in the morning eat breakfast close to the time that you are leaving, then you wont have time for those extra two bowls :)
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    TROLL???

If I eat a lot of sodium will I gain weight? Yes.

So, Yes! Unless, you're running marathons or lifting to failure, which I doubt.

Stop eating out of control its unncessary. Eat like a normal person lol. I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast too, but just 1 not 3. That's like 700 calories for you!!!!
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would try porridge, I love it and you can add so much to it. Try "the oatmeal artist" website for ideas. It's warm and quick to cook and oats contain a special fibre that can help fill you up. Make sure you weigh it out too. Also maybe eat the one bowl slowly without any distractions like tv and have a cup of tea or a glass of water with it, then leave the kitchen to go do something else and you'll probably find you'l feel full enough. Eating 3 bowls sounds like a bit of a habit that you need to break.

Also I'm not sure those cereals are as low in sugar as you think, anything with over 15g of sugar per 100g is high in sugar.
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    im rocking All Bran Flakes with unsweetened almond milk every morning.,3 egg omelette.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am hungriest in the morning, and could easily eat 3 bowls of cereal. Nothing wrong with it really, unless it means you eat all your calories in the morning and go hungry the rest of the day (hence waking up with a ravenous appetite and repeating the whole thing). If it's a problem; I'd suggest just eating one bowl, then stopping, taking your shower, getting ready, and going on with your day. If you're still hungry two hours later, have a smaller snack like a piece of fruit to tide you till lunch. Just try to break the habit of the breakfast that goes on and on. It might just be a habit after all. Switch up your morning routine. As for eating something else. Try oatmeal. Most people find that more filling than cold cereal. And drink some tea, water, or coffee.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

If you really like cereal, look at Kashi Vanilla Nut Crunch (I think that's what it's called). Whole grains and has a decent amount of protein. Tastes pretty good too.

And a CRAP ton of sugar.

Look up recipes online for healthy granola. I have a cereal addiction as well, but I try to make my own granola as often as possible to ensure minimal sugar.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Eat an egg, bacon, or some other protein with your cereal. I think I could eat 2 bowls of cereal and possibly 3 if that's all that I ate for breakfast. The protein will help you feel full.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find that I never really feel full unless i have a lot and I want to know if this is okay? Like will I gain lots of weight because of this? Also is there any really easy breakfast ideas that are healthy and filling? Please help, all help appreciated thank you! I did notice I am not alone on this problem as I have heard many people say this before.

If you are within your calorie goals you should not gain weight by eating 2-3 bowls of cereal. But if it doesn't make you feel full and you hate it, then eat something else. Adding fruit and nuts could help, but since you've tried that I'd look for something else.

Wholemeal toast w/ peanut butter. Add banana slices if you like, or a piece of fruit on the side
    Eggs - an omelet is a quick easy way to add protein and veggies to your day. Add a piece of wholemeal toast if you like.
    Hot cereals may seem more filling than cold - add nuts or nut butters to add more protein and flavor.
    Eat non-traditional breakfast foods that you like - a sandwich, salad, leftovers from dinner, whatever.
  • tataylllor
    Options
    one more tip (sorry im out of control lol)

Maybe if you have work/college in the morning eat breakfast close to the time that you are leaving, then you wont have time for those extra two bowls :)

Thanks for all the tips, dont worry haha! all your tips are helpful and not out of control!! cc:
  • tataylllor
    Options
    Also, being a cereal eater, have you tried oatmeal? I love the steel-cut oats, but I like the "quick" 5-minute stuff, too. You can add Stevia or white or brown sugar, molasses, skim/almond/soy milk, banana, blueberries, almonds, pecans, walnuts, apples....the options are endless for variety. You would probably get more full after one serving and still come in with less total calories. It could be different every day if you wanted it to be and you'd get a fair amount of protein, good fiber, and could regulate the fats and calories with add-ins.

Thanks for telling me! I love oatmeal, do you know which brand is best to buy from for the oatmeal? I have some Maple Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal but it has lots of sugar so I feel like I shouldnt eat it, but I am unsure!