Avoiding added sugars

Options
I've read that women should only have between 34 and 36 grams of sugar daily, but there is sugar in EVERYTHING! I've stopped eating most yogurts because though they are high in protein, they're also high in sugars. I've just had breakfast and a fig bar and am already over my sugar intake for the day. It's insane.

Does anyone have tips to help me cut back on sugar in my foods? Though I try and stay away from processed, it does pop into my busy life from time to time.

I also completely understand that natural sugars are fine for you. I'm talking specifically about sauces, canned tomatoes, yogurt, granola bars, that kind of thing. Also, if anyone has easy recipes for granola bars and such they are greatly appreciated!

thanks for the help!

Replies

• 1jeannette9
    1jeannette9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to cut back on sugar, and its in everything! Breads, pasta sauce. yogurts etc. I would just stay with plain yogurt and add a little raw honey and fresh fruit. Cut back on carbs. And i'm also looking for a great granola bar to make. Hopefully someone will post one.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Emma

Ive learned to watch the reduced fat or 0 fat foods (ie yogurt) as they are often loaded with extra sugar. You are right to try and reduce your sugar intake, but also dont overlook sodium. These 2 substances will create future health problems.

From the Mayo Clinic

Check for ingredients ending in "ose" — that's the chemical name for many types of sugar, such as fructose, glucose, maltose and dextrose. Here's a list of other common types of added sugar:

Cane juice and cane syrup
    Corn sweeteners and high-fructose corn syrup
    Fruit juice concentrate and nectars
    Honey
    Malt syrup
    Molasses

Despite what you may have heard, there's no nutritional advantage for honey, brown sugar, fruit juice concentrate or other types of sugar over white sugar. https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/MY00845/NSECTIONGROUP=2

I just so happened to have read this yesterday and feel that this is a good place to share.

This means cancer has a much higher need for sugar than normal cells; this has been proven by the abnormally high level of insulin receptors found on all cancer cells. Because cancer cells favor the lack of oxygen, they shift to glycolytic pathways; put simply they use glucose as their source of energy. Cancer cells average about 16 times more insulin receptor sites than normal cells.http://www.envita.com/cancer/the-important-role-oxygen-plays-in-cancer-treatment
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's the processed stuff, it sucks.
    Some brands will be specific in lower sodium/sugars and put it on their labels.
    I think the best bet for the yogurt is plain with your own additions.
  • DaniLynn01
    Options
    I agree!!! I stay away from dairy for the most part but i buy plain greek yogurt and add a small amount of organic honey but i put all that into my Avocado smoothies for breakfast. Even natural sugars are still sugars though!!! Really the best thing to do is try and just eat more veggies and lean meats than anything else. The fake sugars are also way worse for you than just giving in and having a little bit of sweet in your life. It makes the cravings stronger as well as gives you a higher change of binge eating on sugar. Good luck!! :)
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Read the labels, forget what it says on the front of the package, read the nutrition label. If sugar is one of the first three ingredients put it back and look at another brand or product.

I stopped eating processed sugars back in March and I feel so much better but I am not super strict with it. If sugar isn't one of the first three ingredients, I usually go with that item. I try to limit my intake of processed foods anyway and those that I do pick up I try to make sure I stick with natural ingredients, not a bunch of additives or artificial sweeteners, flavors, etc.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Milk, fruits and vegetables all contrain sugar naturally. Read labels. That's how you know if its added sugar.
  • Johnpaul1987
    Johnpaul1987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sugar (or processed sugar) is OK within moderation? I don't see the problem, once it doesn't affect satiety and therefore weightless progression?
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Read the labels, forget what it says on the front of the package, read the nutrition label. If sugar is one of the first three ingredients put it back and look at another brand or product.

Agreed. I cannot tolerate processed sugars and stick to the plain yogurt (I add berries or organic granola) and make my own sauces. You can make a large batch of pretty much anything and freeze it. So much healthier and cheaper than the processed. Watch out for canned/jarred tomato products -- loads of sugar added to most of them to offset the acidity.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are fine, like the ones in fruits. It's the processed stuff you need to watch out for. My body reacts to too much processed sugars, so I know that I need to be careful with it.

I also do plain greek yogurts and add in protein powders, fruits, raw honey or stevia to sweeten it.