When is a pound lost and where does it go?

Options

Replies

• verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's like my birthday came early!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *swoon* Thanks Gordo. I've finally unclenched.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It goes up to the "mother" ship. Dr. Who says so.

adiposebabybyebye.jpg
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    It goes up to the "mother" ship. Dr. Who says so.

adiposebabybyebye.jpg

I'd so take those pills.
  • sanbros
    sanbros Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thank you!!

This thread really cracked me up!
    Now I'm ready to go on night shift...and make sure the patients dont't have White stuff in their urine!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, I HAVE TO SAY THIS. I'm hoping it's already been addressed, but in case it hasn't, I'm a science teacher and this just has me HORRIFIED.

Fats and Carbohydrates are very long chains of carbon oxygen and hydrogen. When you burn fats or carbohydrates for energy, the energy that is release comes from breaking down those chains in to individual links (the atoms). The atoms are then recombind into WATER and CARBON DIOXIDE. So the short answer, you exhale/pee that weight out.

Protien also has C H and O but you can add in a lot of Nitrogen as well, so in addition to carbon dioxide and water, you also get ammonia. Since ammonia is toxic in large doses, this gets chemically rearranged into the salts that compose your urine and sweat. To really gross out my students I then explain how this basically means that sweat is just a very dilute form of urine.

There, rant over.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BEST THREAD EVER..... :drinker:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Ok, I HAVE TO SAY THIS. I'm hoping it's already been addressed, but in case it hasn't, I'm a science teacher and this just has me HORRIFIED.

Fats and Carbohydrates are very long chains of carbon oxygen and hydrogen. When you burn fats or carbohydrates for energy, the energy that is release comes from breaking down those chains in to individual links (the atoms). The atoms are then recombind into WATER and CARBON DIOXIDE. So the short answer, you exhale/pee that weight out.

Protien also has C H and O but you can add in a lot of Nitrogen as well, so in addition to carbon dioxide and water, you also get ammonia. Since ammonia is toxic in large doses, this gets chemically rearranged into the salts that compose your urine and sweat. To really gross out my students I then explain how this basically means that sweat is just a very dilute form of urine.

There, rant over.

But, but, Dr. Who....
  • HanaEhab7
    HanaEhab7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LOL mine too!
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Island of misfit pounds :laugh: My sides hurt! Thanks for bumping this thread!
  • bigsisterdice
    Options
    When you lose a pound it either sneaks out the window, or uses the mail slot. Obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNlecBsD08

You beat me to it! :laugh:

*Whovian love*
  • georgieb23
    georgieb23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I thought every pound you lost was converted into a pound coin and that's how the tooth fairy did her work?

Are you telling me this is lies?! :frown:
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This might have been mentioned before (didn't read entire thread), but I read once that fat cells NEVER GO AWAY.

The cells themselves just shrink (or expand) for storage of fat, but the structure remains.

I believe we're born with a genetic default number of fat cells. As we mature, we accumulate fat along the way(some more than others). As the fat cells fill up, they began to divide when they hit some limit to what they can hold. This process continues throughout life, so every time a fat cell hits that point where it can't expand further.. it divides.

Going with this explanation, a person who got up to 300 lbs and then dropped to 150 lbs, will probably have twice as many fat "cells" as a person that never gained above 150. Barring lipo or surgery, the fat cells shrink, but are always there, eagerly waiting to be refilled.

That is why we REGAIN weight at a much faster rate, once we've lost.

Too busy to find material on the internet to back that, but I've read it more than once.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Resurrecting the "chicken fat in my pee" thread... :laugh: :laugh:
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The fat that is lost when exercising and dieting goes to the negative zone where Annihilus lives
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

There, rant over.

I :heart: you....

IN for science nerds!!!! (says a science nerd)
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    The fat that is lost when exercising and dieting goes to the negative zone where Annihilus lives
    Excellent geeky answer!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    the fat goes to Modor....

tumblr_mf3hrbACZj1r4g7v4o1_400.png
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    My sweat isnt sweat, it's my fat crying. Fat is excreted via sweat, poop, and urine. Nothing crazy. It's mind-boggling though
  • ladylego1
    ladylego1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for making my night... I literally have tears from laughing so hard... How have i never seen this before!