Tough Mudder- Favorite and Least Favorite Obstacle

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just saw a new one on the website. Good GAWD i hope they have this and the next SoCal Mudder

tnjt5xK.jpg?1
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Bumping to come back and read more later.

I'm doing my first Tough Mudder in November. Charlotte, NC.

I'm stoked!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Favorite was Just The Tip, mostly because I did amazing on it and most of the people fell.

Least favorite was the Electric Eel. I got hit way too many times, and it came right after I nearly perforated my eardrum falling sideways from Walk the Plank.

The Arctic Enema wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected, though I think guys have it worse on that one.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Favorite was Just The Tip, mostly because I did amazing on it and most of the people fell.

Least favorite was the Electric Eel. I got hit way too many times, and it came right after I nearly perforated my eardrum falling sideways from Walk the Plank.

The Arctic Enema wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected, though I think guys have it worse on that one.

i may have to skip the LITERALLY shocking ones. i'm just too scared!!!
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I actually really liked the Arctic Enema.

Mine was the half pipe thing you have to jump up. I don't have much hops :D
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my favorite obstacle is Everest. It showcases everything that tough mudder stands for: teamwork and camaraderie. a quarterpipe you run up, and the only way for many people to make it up is by jumping up and grabbing the outstretched hands of teammates and strangers alike.

i'm tempted to say that obstacles like the Arctic Enema and the electrical ones are my least favorite, because they are next to impossible to train for.

but my least favorite obstacles are ones like Trench Warfare where you have to crawl underground. i'm big and tall and a bit claustrophobic, so i don't do well in enclosed spaces.
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have done 2 Tough Mudders, both in Colorado. I would say my favorite obstacle was funky monkey. Although I did not get across it since the bars moved but definitely something to strive for next year.

My least favorite obstacle was walking the plank because I don't like jumping off cliffs, freaks me out a bit.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I really did not like getting shocked all that much. I liked the free beer at the end. :) I also did not like the Berlin Walls. I probably liked walking the plank because you just jumped in.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just ran my 1st Spartan race on 8/3 and I'm doing my first Mudder on 10/5. Reading everyone's replies gets me super excited to get muddy again! Not looking forward to the shock and Arctic Enema but the rest I think I can handle. One thing I was curious about though...is the Mudder like the Spartan races where you have to do burpees if you can't finish an obstacle?
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I've never done one, but from watching I would have to say the big wall/halfpipe thing that you have to run up the side of would be my favorite.

Least favorite would either be the electric wire shock thing, that seems dangerous.
    or the crawling under the barbed wire in the mud, imagine all the people getting cut up on those things and leaving their blood there, then you get scrapped on the same bloody edge. All in the mud as well, just unsanitary.

But it's called TOUGH MUDDER for a reason... you have to sign a death waiver for cryin out loud.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I just ran my 1st Spartan race on 8/3 and I'm doing my first Mudder on 10/5. Reading everyone's replies gets me super excited to get muddy again! Not looking forward to the shock and Arctic Enema but the rest I think I can handle. One thing I was curious about though...is the Mudder like the Spartan races where you have to do burpees if you can't finish an obstacle?

Nope. You just pick up your shamed and broken body and run to the next one.

Don't skip any though. Fellow mudders will "boo" you relentlessly until you go back and complete it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

lol. burpees.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Andreae13 are you in Wa state? I just did Spartan and I'm doing the October TM as well. I'm a lot less concerned about mudder given the absence of Burpee penalties lol. :D Plenty enough to be intimidated by without worrying about the damn burpees!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Andreae13 are you in Wa state? I just did Spartan and I'm doing the October TM as well. I'm a lot less concerned about mudder given the absence of Burpee penalties lol. :D Plenty enough to be intimidated by without worrying about the damn burpees!

Yep, Washingtonian here! Ya, I say bring it on now that I know there's no burpees!!! I'm always willing to try everything...what's the point of paying for a race just to skip an obstacle haha...
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I LOVED mud mile. That epitomizes mudder philosophy to me. It sucks and is seemingly unending and you get help and are helped and you slide down the other side which is fun.

I've done it 2 years in a row and both years Arctic Enslave sucked. Don't jump in if there's a line to get out. I forgot that this year and stood in that thing while 3 women struggled out. It takes soo much out of you to be in the cold! So I pushed those chicks out while the ones that are out are pulling the friends I'm pushing. Then they're all out and it's my turn and they start running off! It was awful.

This year Walk the Plank and Everest were both shorter than last year. My partner chickened out of walk the plank and no one booed her though. And she had to climb back down through the line.

We had those razor things. Those walls on an angle. They were great!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I will do Tough Mudder every year forever as long as I can ambulate and there's an event within 500 miles of me. It is hard. It sucks. You curse the makers (the trail was probably the hardest thing both years) and then you're done and hanging with the strangers who grabbed your *kitten* and got you over an obstacle and you just feel so good. Not a race, a challenge. And I love it.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Yep, Washingtonian here! Ya, I say bring it on now that I know there's no burpees!!! I'm always willing to try everything...what's the point of paying for a race just to skip an obstacle haha...

Lol I'm with ya there! Git r done in October! ;)
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mine is scheduled for next Saturday (8/24) in St Clairsville OH (but it's the Pittsburgh TM). I'm starting to get nervous! I've been working out since January (prob not hard enough) and I'm dreading the walls and arctic enema. I can run/walk 5 miles easily in about an hour - with hills so the cardio isn't a worry since I've heard there is a lot of rest time at obstacles. Please someone give me some reassurance!!!

Oh and I somehow cut the arch of my left foot within the last 2 days. Going easy on the cardio and staying off of it as much as I can for the next 10 days!!
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just pre-registered for next spring.... I'm so excited (and a bit scared)! I'm doing a 10K this weekend that I have been training for but I'm a getting sick of just running and want to go back to doing more HIIT and strength once it's done. Has anyone tried the tough mudder boot camp training plan? http://toughmudder.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/maybe-mudder-boot-camp.pdf