Energy source for long runs

Options
What do you use before and/or during your long runs to keep your energy from tanking? I get to mile 4 and my energy just plummets and I'm training for a half marathon that is in two months so I need to be able to get these big runs in once a week to strengthen my endurance. Last week to get me through my 6 miles I used the PowerBar Energy Chews, but I was wondering what you use that may be semi-cheap? I've been thinking about using the Clif Gel Shots (Black cherry looks tasty!), but want to know what YOU use and why? Thanks :)

Replies

• keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump, curious too...
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    OP - I just used the Clif Black Cherry Shots during an Olympic Distance Triathlon. They can stick to your teeth while chewing, but overall I was very pleased. Ate one pack during the bike and another during the run. The orange flavor is pretty good as well.
  • FitPet
    FitPet Posts: 9
    Options
    I prepare this for my long runs. I carry it in a small plastic bag and I just bite off the corner when I want to eat (suck) it. http://www.nomeatathlete.com/thrive-energy-gel-recipe/
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Coconut water
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Looking for an answer to this so bumping
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 3 and 4th halfs right now. I'm currently up to 8 miles with water only. I eat very carefully and hydrate well the day before my long runs. In the morning before I go out I have a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee. This keeps me from needing anything. I had to work to accept foods before a morning run. I started with coffee green smoothies and that eventually turned to oatmeal.

When I do need a snack during a run I use honey stinger energy chews, pink lemonade flavor.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I eat relatively low carb on non-training days. When I have a long ride or long run I have two go tos.

1. Stinger Waffle. Yeah, what's up.
    2. Gu. Mmmm, salty sugar-kakke
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey, Just completed my first half marathon a couple of weeks ago and a friend of mine who does ultra running got me on to GU chomps, strawberry. Real nice and not too sticky. I tried the gel but they are a bit like glue :) I reccomend getting one of each you want to try and pick what you prefer and good luck in your training. If I can do it, anyone can :o)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a bunch and try. I had to try three different gu type products until I found one I liked. Didn't enjoy any of the gummies or jelly beans one. They were either too sweet, or got stuck in my teeth too much.

The gus and stinger waffles worked for me. Pemmican does too.
  • Rannadanna1
    Rannadanna1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love me some Clif Gel Blocks, like, seriously (although I don't tend to use them unless I'm running over 12 or 14 miles). I'm with RunnerElizabeth: if I'm properly fueled and hydrated, I don't tend to need too much unless I'm nearing my peak training runs for marathon training. Gu is ok, but I find it hard to stomach. I usually do half a packet, then another half packet a little bit later. I snack on all sorts of carb-y things, though, from goldfish to pretzel sticks to oreo cookies to licorice. Stuff that digests easily so you have ready access to energy is the key. You don't want a bar with too much fiber (longer to digest) or fat for this reason. Simple carbs are the way to go.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think you're a little mixed up. Your problem is not food, it's low fatigue resistance. To be blunt, you need to keep training and increase your fatigue resistance. No amount of cliff shots or gu gels is going to increase your fatigue resistance. In fact, that stuff is loaded with sugar, so (if you run as a means of creating a caloric deficit) you're undoing some of your hard work (and rotting your teeth).

There are plenty of competing opinions on the proper way to fuel an endurance event. But as far as casual/semi-casual running is concerned, you only need to eat something if you're hungry. If you feel fatigued it doesn't mean you're not getting enough food, it means you're tired.

One small point worth making is that tasting carbohydrates has a mood improving effect on the brain, so eating something can actually make you feel better... kinda.

Now to digress into a rant about gels. I mean really... look at the label on a clif shot. The first ingredient is a food additive (Maltodextrin, usually added to candy/pop) and the second one is sugar. It's just candy (mostly-"organic" candy?). The one positive thing I will say about gels is that they are very easy to carry and eat, which is a big plus. But, you'd save a lot of money if you just brought along packets of honey (oh wait, there's a gel for that!).

Anyways... happy training! If you're hungry, eat a banana?
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Two doughnuts. One should be chocolate-glazed.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    bananas
  • vikingheart
    Options
    You shouldn't need to eat at 4 or 6 miles, maybe at longer distances. I did a half marathon in March, and am training for a marathon currently. Just did a 9 mile run on Saturday. I never eat while running, but I see the need when I get over 13 miles.

I'm echoing a previous comment that I don't think it is about your food level, but training program. Are you following anything specific? The Hal Higdon program I am following has always made me feel completely prepared for the mileage increases. The only issue I've been having is dehydration in the warmer weather. Do you think it could be that?

Before runs I like to eat full fat greek yogurt, berries and honey. The fat content keeps me satiated through out the run, and the extra sugar gives me a little bit of a boost. If you run in the morning, you should not be running on an empty stomach but eat 1/2 - 1 hr beforehand.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Seconding the opinion that you shouldn't be feeling that way after 4 miles. I don't start thinking about taking in nutrition unless I'm going to be running for over 90 minutes. I may carry water if it's a particularly hot day for anything over an hour.

When I do use gels, I basically use whatever I have in my workout closet. I have a pretty decent stash of just about every gel/chew/waffle possible and I honestly have never found much of a difference between them but I know some people have problems with certain brands. The best thing you can do is experiment and also check with what the race will have that day on course.
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    +1 for porridge & coffee breakfast! A good breakfast will get me about 9 miles, and for runs longer than that I quite like jelly babies (I'm in the UK - do they have them in the US?) Personally I got put off gels as the first ones I tried tasted like fake tan which was not cool...

Just keep putting the miles in and finding out what works for you.

I've got my 10th HM in 6 weeks, and my second marathon in the spring. My body doesn't always want the same thing, some runs are rubbish regardless of what I eat, but jelly babies and water usually work for me.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What do you use before and/or during your long runs to keep your energy from tanking? I get to mile 4 and my energy just plummets and I'm training for a half marathon that is in two months so I need to be able to get these big runs in once a week to strengthen my endurance. Last week to get me through my 6 miles I used the PowerBar Energy Chews, but I was wondering what you use that may be semi-cheap? I've been thinking about using the Clif Gel Shots (Black cherry looks tasty!), but want to know what YOU use and why? Thanks :)

Bananas and oranges are the only things I will eat before a run and all is okay on those two foods.

However, having said that, eight and a half miles is the most I have run in training outdoors so far. I did run a half marathon on the treadmill once and many ten milers, but the same foods applied.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not whatever you use while on the run has more of a placebo effect than anything else (researchers found that runners got some of the same energy boost by swishing an energy drink around in their mouths and spitting it out)

As pointed out earlier, part of it just fitness (are you getting enough sleep?) but I also had a peek at your diary (just looked at a couple of days) and it looks like you're not eating enough. MFP already has a deficit built into your net calorie goal and you're coming in 500 or 600 cal below that - fine for weight loss, not so good if you're training for a race.

At 4 miles you should not need any nutrition on the run, your stored glycogen should be more than sufficient. Eat & have fun!
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! At my local gym I stopped by and asked our new personal trainer/wellness coach for insight and she said the same thing about food other than on the one day a week I put in the big run, I need to make sure I eat more than I usually do just because I need to be able to recover, not really because I need to it longer. She was concerned I wasn't actually eating ENOUGH for how much I have been running. Last week I ran 6 miles twice, but used those chews to be me through the last two miles each time... Btw I had to take almost three months off from running due to an achilles injury and just started back up in June and I'm behind where I was when I got hurt... so I guess it's just frustrating because I used to have so much more stamina.

Anyways, she's putting me together a better training program. I was weight lifting twice a week, but I was using machines and she insists that I need to use free weights, so here we go!! My training program is as follows: Day 1: Tempo Run, Day 2: Weight lifting and core, Day 3: Cross Train, Day 4: Tempo Run, Day 5: Weight lifting and core, Day 6: Long Run. I'm used to doing intervals, but she wants me to start doing tempo runs instead and go from there. I think I'm going to forgo the chews (they are costly) and just invest in bananas if I really need food if I get hungry.