honest opinions please... even if its brutal

Options
I like my weight. I am 5'5 and 110 pounds. My family wants me to gain weight though. Do i look too thin? Do my ribs show too much?

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    You look very thin, but could be healthy. I don't know if ribs showing means you are unhealthy.

Why don't you ask your doctor?
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion is that I think you might want to gain at the most 7 - 10 pounds. If you put on lean muscle mass, you body will still have the fitness that you desire but will also have the curves you desire as well. For your height 110 is quite small.
  • MelClaire2000
    Options
    You are certainly very thin, but here is the question. Are you HEALTHY?!?!?

What does your doctor say?

How do you feel? Are you STRONG?

Do you have a healthy mental relationship with food/exercise/your body?

These are the more important questions.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    At 5'5" 110lb is still within your normal range.
    Whatever you consider aesthetic is entirely down to you.
    You need to live with your body. No one else does. x
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you like it keep it (as long as you are healthy), it doesn't really matter what your family thinks as long as you are happy and healthy. You look fine to me btw, I don't think you need to change anything. :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes too thin. you would benefit from lifting program and eating a little more. But that is up to you and what your goals are...
  • CollieFit
    Options
    For your height 110 is quite small.

I don't know about America but in the UK its still well within the lower end of the healthy weight chart for her height.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 125 and if I went any lower than that I would be too thin. Your two inches taller, I think you would look better with a few more pounds but it honestly has to be up to you.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Would like to see some more upper body definition which means you could do some upper body workouts and gain about
    10 lbs.. Clothes probably fit great on you though.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    You answered your own question, you like your own weight. You look very slender and if on those weight charts you are not officially underweight for your height then be the weight you like.

They probably got used to you being bigger so it's a shock to them now you have slimmed down so much.

Keep eating healthy and no need to lose more!

You look lovely.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Your profile says that this is your 2nd MFP account to mark a break from your ED days.

Only you can decide whether you have made that break.
  • tarayatesgosse
    Options
    Have you checked your BMI? I think 110 for 5'5 might be considered underweight and if it is not it might be teetering right on the edge which would mean it is safe to gain a little to put yourself well in the normal range. I know 114 for 5'6 is the lowest weight you can be for normal. If you do decide to gain weight you should do strength training and eat quite a bit of protien while doing it. If you gain fat you will probably just lose it again.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone. I appreciate your help.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Hun with an ED background you've probably come a long way to get to 110lb in the first place so people telling you you need to pile on some more is bound to give you the heebeejeebeez....

I think you look great right now, lean and toned... with nothing left to lose but I also wouldn't say it's essential you put any on. :flowerforyou:
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    maybe just 5 to 10 lbs. but are you healthy, not only physically but emotional/mentally? (regarding your ED history?)

but that all aside......damn girl, you have fantastic legs! wish mine had EVER looked like that!
  • MANDallasTX
    Options
    Most of us care about IF you are Healthy, first and foremost.

If we try to judge you based on your appearance, our own filters and norms for beauty and healthy come into play.

May I suggest you use the BMI app along with a Medical Professional to guide you to a decision of weight gain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I like my weight. I am 5'5 and 110 pounds. My family wants me to gain weight though. Do i look too thin? Do my ribs show too much?

sounds like you need to speak to your family and a doctor to discuss what a healhty weight for you is.

i dont think you are too thin, but then i also dont know how much you eat/exercise to maintain that size?
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Too thin
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes too thin. you would benefit from lifting program and eating a little more. But that is up to you and what your goals are...

Totally this... Stressing the importance of how u feel
    And what ur goals are... There's a huge diff between being
    Skinny and being fit....what's UR thoughts on what u want ??
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You look fine. just eat healthy and exercise and if you don't gain then you don't gain. no big deal if you're healthy.