Soy - Do you eat it?

Options
2»

Replies

• 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    years ago i did. i ate quite a bit. i was pregnant with my 3rd and she ended up having a horrible soy allergy, that lasted years. so, i cut all soy out of our diets. we've never gone back.

i found alternatives that i liked better, tasted better, and were better for you :-)
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I only eat tofu every other month in a dish that I prepare at home
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid soy because soy is estrogenic and i have uterine fibroids. (estrogen makes the fibroids grow)

I used to drink soy milk and eat soy beans because i thought they were healthy. Ooops.

Uterine fibroids are terrible. They are very painful and they make me chronically anemic. :(

Soy is not my friend.

Hmm...I have fibroids too, though I wouldn't even know it except a doctor told me that she felt them during an exam. And I eat a decent amount of soy.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Why or why not? I'm not looking to spark a debate about GMO's - I'm talking about non-GMO tofu and other non-GMO soy meat alternatives. I'm just wondering why some people choose not to eat it. I used to eat tons of meat substitutes, but I have some girly hormonal issues, and I'm wondering if I should be cutting soy out of my diet. Anyone have any opinions on the soy debate?

Yes, I do. Tofu, tempeh and soymilk.
    There is overwhelming evidence that soy has some extraordinary health benefits.
    http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/soy/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk daily and have for decades. I eat tofu rarely, but I like it. I used to eat it more often but my husband is one of those people that dislikes tofu without ever giving it a try, so I don't cook with it much these days. I used to eat it fairly regularly.

ETA: I also eat dry roasted edamame daily because it's tasty and helps me hit my protein goal. And I occasionally eat frozen edamame and use soy sauce fairly regularly.

That said, if you are having hormone problems I would suggest speaking with your GYN.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid soy because soy is estrogenic and i have uterine fibroids. (estrogen makes the fibroids grow)

I used to drink soy milk and eat soy beans because i thought they were healthy. Ooops.

Uterine fibroids are terrible. They are very painful and they make me chronically anemic. :(

Soy is not my friend.

Hmm...I have fibroids too, though I wouldn't even know it except a doctor told me that she felt them during an exam. And I eat a decent amount of soy.

Yeah, it all depends on the location of the fibroids. Mine cause severe cramping and hemorrhaging every month. I've ended up in the ER a few times because of it. :(
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I eat tofu and edamame. I do not like the taste of soy milk so I avoid that.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Soy is not my friend.

Yeah, it all depends on the location of the fibroids. Mine cause severe cramping and hemorrhaging every month. I've ended up in the ER a few times because of it. :(

Thanks stinks. I've heard they can go away on their own with menopause...so there's a reason to actually look forward to that! :)
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    OP - I just can't do it. I've tried to add it to my diet - I just can't. Tofu upsets my stomach, soy milk just doesn't taste right in recipes. So No - I've tried and tried - just can't do it.
  • fluffymaggie3
    fluffymaggie3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No I do not eat soy !! I am a 3 year Estrogen positive breast cancer survivor and my oncologist told me to stay clear of it. Prior to my breast cancer diagnosis, I drank soy milk daily and ate tofu weekly !! HMN ??? Makes me wander ???
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm Paleo so hell no!! that stuff is paleo poison!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it (I actually love it) but I do find I have to limit it due to hormonal issues. I discovered this on accident, when I had switched nondairy milks and protein powders for awhile. I love tofu, love soy milk in my coffee, so it sucks having to limit it.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You bet! I'm a vegetarian (my whole life). Worthington, Loma Linda, Morningstar, Yves, Tofurky, Edamame, Tofu--bring it on! Then again if you're worried about soy for whatever reason, there's always Seitan or TVP.

If you don't "like" tofu, get extra firm, put it in the freezer for a day, defrost, drain and add a good soy marinade--my mom's standby is soy (watered down) with garlic--for at least an hour (you could use a good teriyaki sauce though or something along those lines). Then fry it. My husband (the meat eater) likes it like this.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Nope I put it in the same category as trans fats as an ingredient I avoid, even though it is nearly impossible to avoid.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Patooeey!! I neither like the texture, nor the taste (or tastelessness) of Tofu...Soy Milk tastes horribly. I stick to Almond Milk.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy based products. I figure I'm getting plenty of soy in other products that I don't need to go & add it. I'm kind of afraid of what soy will do to my hormones.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy, just because my understanding is soy has a lot of estrogen in it. I use to drink a lot of soy milk when i first started my weight loss journey, and this may be a mental thing or it may be true, but after i stopped drinking soy milk and switched over to almond, this was like a year ago, i had already lost 142 lbs ... I felt like my man boobs got smaller very quickly. So not sure if the estrogen in the soy was a factor or not, but now i try to avoid large amounts of soy.
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TOFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU SOOOOOOOO MUUUCCCHHH!!!! But, I'm also a vegetarian so it's a staple in my diet lol UGH! Fried tofu with peanut sauce, holy **** man, if you haven't had that you are SERIOUSLY!!! MISSING OUT!!! Seitan, tofu, I eat all that jazz. You have to learn how to cook with it. Tofu plain can taste kind of icky, but put a little soy sauce on it, bake it or stir fry it, and you're set. I have yet to try a meat loaf or tofurkey though. I think I'm going to do that for Thanksgiving/Christmas this year :)

Oh I am sooooooooo with you - I just had tofu satay skewers for dinner last night - A..MAZE...ING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm veggie also and tended to stay away from any kind of meat replacements and had only ever tried to cook tofu unsuccessfully one time - I was then introduced to them recently by a friend and I'm now a tofu convert. Salt and Chilli Pepper Tofu = AWESOME!!!!!!!