Vinegar

Options

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Has raw acv taken w/ water b4 a cardio wo shrunken anyone's midsection?

What!?

"Has raw Apple Cider Vinegar taken with water before a cardio workout shrunk anyone's midsection?"

Oh. Thanks!!

I have nephews and am becoming fluent in "text" to English speak.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You need to try those crazy wrap things! I've been doing them and have had great results with them. You can out the wrap anywhere you want and they shirk the fat...not just water weight. it breaks down the fat so you can pass them and detoxify your body. It also works great great on stretch marks, cellulite!

Reported for spam. Seriously? "Amys_It_Works" for a username?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    No. But have you tried it with balsamic vinegar? It doesn't do anything, but I COULD DRINK THAT *kitten*. SO GOOD.

Me too. I have a shelf in my pantry filled with balsamics and olive oils. Mmmm
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    No. But have you tried it with balsamic vinegar? It doesn't do anything, but I COULD DRINK THAT *kitten*. SO GOOD.

Me too. I have a shelf in my pantry filled with balsamics and olive oils. Mmmm

mmmm balsamic....I put that **** on everything
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Sweating is the body's detox. If ACV increases sweating, then...(follow the line of deduction).

Erm....http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan/28/health/he-skeptic28
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, I've heard of its use as an appetite suppressant.
  • Thesethings
    Thesethings Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Kinda funny that this was brought up, I've read about a lot of benefits from raw organic ACV, including improving joint health, though nothing about shrinking belly fat. I have bad knees and decided to try it over the weekend, 2tbsp of ACV straight. It was awful. No way I am able to do that twice a day.
    Oh my.. never just drink it straight. Always put it in some filtered water. Maybe with a pinch of lemon juice.
  • Thesethings
    Thesethings Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No, but proper spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar does help to make a person appear to be more intelligent.

Not nice!!!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Vinegar: is good with olive oil on a salad.

I have no idea whatever else you're talking about.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Pour a little in your tub water after sex. It will shrink everything that got stretched. "Snapback"
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, I can find a study that says ACV might help reduce body fat:
    https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bbb/73/8/73_90231/_article

On the other hand, taking too much may cause a reduction in potassium and bone density:
    http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/45180
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Pour a little in your tub water after sex. It will shrink everything that got stretched. "Snapback"
    what_the_hell_just_happened-7962.gif

edited to use a less profane gif so as not to anger the mods.....
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't know about shrinking my midsection, but it does help bloat. I take it twice a day (just two teaspoons in water with a teaspoon of stevia) before a meal for detox mostly. I try to drink lemon water for the same reason, plus it just tastes good.,

The body does a great job of "detox" and "cleanse" etc. all by itself...that is why we poop and pee. If you like the taste, go for it, but it does nothing for "detox."

Sweating is the body's detox. If ACV increases sweating, then...(follow the line of deduction). Also ACV helps to alkalize the body and the body maintains health better in an alkaline environment. "Pooping" and "peeing" alone does not keep the body clean/detoxed.

Orly?

What substances exactly get cleansed out- what specific toxins?

Yes. I would also like to know the answer to this question.

Ketones, for example. Diabetics can excrete ketones through their sweat and urine, giving them a bit of a fruity odor. People on high protein diets can also excrete urea through their perspiration- if someone has foul body odor despite good hygiene practices, urea is a likely culprit. "Normal" people excrete excess metabolites and even some metals through their sweat. I'm sure there are other examples as well. The problem with putting too much trust in these "studies" that purportedly derail these beliefs is that the results are often doctored or slanted in a way to support the researcher's hypothesis. The original studies on coconut oil, for example, concluded that it was bad for us cardiovascularly and could even give you a heart attack- come to find out, they had conducted those studies with HYDROGENATED coconut oil. Dairy milk "It does a body good"- now we know better unless you're still listening to the studies paid for by the Dairy Council. The amount consumed directly correlates with the incidence of cancer (research casein), diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. My advice would be to keep an open mind and be willing to try things out. If you are looking for a fix when there is nothing wrong with you, of course you won't notice a difference. I'm always amazed by the number of people ridiculing alternative health practices who have never actually tried any of them. I'm a RN and I firmly believe the best way to stay healthy is to STAY HEALTHY and avoid doctors like the plague! If you already have health problems, that may not be a choice you have, but please do your research (and not just studies published by those in mainstream medicine!)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Dunno about raw vinegar and people's bellies, but the cheap white stuff has done wonders for my cleaning budget.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new bottle a couple days ago. First learned of it a few years back , I did A LOT of research on its benefits and uses. I first started using it diluted ( its very strong and harsh, must dilute a lot) on my face, it made a huge difference in the appearance of my skin. Then after 1 week I started drinking it, 2 table spoons mixed with water ( yes rinse, it is bad for the teeth). I had grown one of those protruding white moles right under my eye, I was told it was a fatty skin deposit ( i was very depressed and though Id have it for life). It was GONE within two weeks of starting the acv , along with a dark mole on my arm. YES, it cleans out your bowels also! Helped curb my appetite. YES, the taste is brutal, but mixed with water, some mix with honey also. I just shot it down with water. Its also amazing on your hair!! Mix it with some of your conditioner, and You'll never feel your hair so clean and shiny! I use Braggs organic ACV with the Mother in it. You can get it at any health food store.
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, never heard these before. Does it help someone who barely ever sweats, to sweat more? I've noticed I don't sweat much, and when I do, it's almost exclusively in the face or armpit... no where else. I used to sit in a sauna for 30 minutes and not sweat enough to dampen a paper towel.

sweating is not indicative of how hard you are working out or how much you potentially are able to lose weight or anything like that.
    No, but it is how your body regulates temperature, and I would really like my body to function properly, instead of constantly overheating without a single clue. My face gets extremely red, but when I'm just out walking around in the summer, I can't see that, and I soon get dizzy, and never knew I was getting too hot.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, never heard these before. Does it help someone who barely ever sweats, to sweat more? I've noticed I don't sweat much, and when I do, it's almost exclusively in the face or armpit... no where else. I used to sit in a sauna for 30 minutes and not sweat enough to dampen a paper towel.

sweating is not indicative of how hard you are working out or how much you potentially are able to lose weight or anything like that.
    No, but it is how your body regulates temperature, and I would really like my body to function properly, instead of constantly overheating without a single clue. My face gets extremely red, but when I'm just out walking around in the summer, I can't see that, and I soon get dizzy, and never knew I was getting too hot.

Do you drink enough water? Not soda or coffee but water? It sounds like you are chronically dehydrated.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't know about shrinking my midsection, but it does help bloat. I take it twice a day (just two teaspoons in water with a teaspoon of stevia) before a meal for detox mostly. I try to drink lemon water for the same reason, plus it just tastes good.,

The body does a great job of "detox" and "cleanse" etc. all by itself...that is why we poop and pee. If you like the taste, go for it, but it does nothing for "detox."

Sweating is the body's detox. If ACV increases sweating, then...(follow the line of deduction). Also ACV helps to alkalize the body and the body maintains health better in an alkaline environment. "Pooping" and "peeing" alone does not keep the body clean/detoxed.

Orly?

What substances exactly get cleansed out- what specific toxins?

Yes, scientific minds want to know.........
    The alkaline diet is basically healthy, says Marjorie Nolan, RD, an American Dietetic Association spokeswoman.

"It's a diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, plenty of water, avoiding processed foods, coffee, and alcohol, which are all recommendations for a generally healthy diet anyway," Nolan says. "But our body regulates our pH between 7.35 and 7.45 no matter how we eat."

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/alkaline-diets-what-to-know

Ooops.. The quote from Marjorie Nolan leaves out something rather important: HOW does your body regulate pH? If your body starts to become acidic, you must buffer that acid with SOMETHING for it to neutralize (to become more alkaline). It is basic chemistry. The body will take buffering agents like calcium to neutralize acid conditions. Since you need calcium for strong bones and teeth, a regular heartbeat, muscle growth and contraction, nerve impulses, and more, I am surprised to hear your "proof" is based on stripping your body of a key element needed for basic human function.
  • Nyumi
    Nyumi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about it making you sweat...I know that chilli physically makes you sweat due to the thermogenic properties of the capsaicin in it but never heard of vinegar making you sweat.

I tried vinegar for its supposedly appetite surpressant qualities. Oh yeah it worked...cause I had horrific stomach acid.
    As for helping to alkalize your body, that to me is utter bull. All vinegar is acidic. Its called acetic acid. It is produced when the yeast used to ferment an alcoholic drink go over time and break the alcohol itself down further, into acetic acid, hence why some cheap wines taste awfully sour and vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is just apple cider left to ferment longer.

If you want good health benefits try red wine vinegar. All the good heart protective properties and anti oxidants of red wine minus the alcohol.

There is one thing we know vinegar (any vinegar, not just apple cider) is good for with relation to digestive health and weight loss. Anyone who has looked into low GI will know that adding vinegar to their food will lower the GI of it. This is because of its acidifying effects (another reason I laugh at the whole alkalizing thing). The macro nutrients you consume are broken down by enzymes in your digestive tract, and these enzymes require a specific Ph to work. Protein for example is broken down by proteaze which requires acidic conditions to work. This is found in your stomach. Carbs are broken down by an enzyme requiring alkaline conditions, found in the upper gut. The bile ducts flush the contents of your stomach with alkaline bile when it empties into your intestines and this also includes the enzymes such as amylase which break down carbs. The more complex the Carb the longer it takes to break down into the simple sugars our body can absorb and use. This is why they are low GI.

Now its thought that increasing the acidity through adding vinegar to food or shooting a glass of it with your meal inhibits the Carb breaking enzymes...not entirely, only delaying it as the body takes longer to sort out the pH to the correct levels, thus slowing down the release of sugars and therefore lowering the GI of the food. I gather this is another reason it could be indicated as an appetite suppresant?

Either way the increased acidity has been shown to possibly erode away at the calcium carbonate in your bones and make them porous. Drop vinegar on some chalk to see what I'm talking about. I haven't got a clue how this works in the body, but the same has been hinted at thanks to the phosphoric acid in coca cola. No its not as strong as battery acid but over time it supposedly acts like acid rain on an old limestone monument, gradually leeching away at the calcium.

So some possible pros and some possible cons. As for before a workout? I'd presume its the effect on any carbs you've eaten, inhibiting their digestion that is beating some bloating?
  • lesley964
    lesley964 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I'm having a bit of trouble believing this..... how does vinegar "alkalise" the body?
    Vinegar no matter if it is apple cider, balsamic or non-brewed, it is ethanoic acid in an aqueous solution which is a weak acid with a pH of 4. which is most definitely is not alkaline.
    I am a chemist.
    Acid hydrolyses fats into fatty acids and glycerol, it will even break the longer fatty acid chains into shorter ones. This is probably why traditionally folk have vinegar with fish and chips as it aids digestion. however with hydrochloric acid at pH 1 in your stomach the action of vinegar is pretty moot.
    I only did a joint degree in biology but I am pretty sure that our bodies work better round about pH neutral towards slightly acidic. Probably the reason our stomach acid is encased in a special pouch to protect the rest of the body enzymes etc from becoming denatured.
This discussion has been closed.