C25K Motivation

I'm currently in week 3 of my C25K program, and I'm just wondering when I'll start to enjoy running. I'll admit, I'm very out of shape, and I don't think I've ever ran more than 1/2 mile at one time (and this was in high school!). I'm starting to think I was crazy to start this program in the first place.

I've been good about making myself go and do the runs, and I even look forward to them. However, I get about half-way through the intervals and I really start to hate it. I just don't see how I'll be able to run a 5k in 6 more weeks - I can barely get through the 3 minute running intervals I'm doing for this week.

Is there some magic hump that I will eventually get over and start to enjoy running? I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

Replies

• Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    It's been a few years since I first started out with C25K, but as I recall it really was right around week 3 that something clicked for me. I remember in the first couple weeks barely being able to do the 90-second intervals, thinking "I can barely do 90 seconds, how am I going to do it when they start measuring in minutes?" But it really was right around there that the intervals got long enough that I just ran and quit thinking about how many seconds were left. It was right around then that I felt like a "real runner" and really started to get a runner's high from it. Everyone's different of course, but hopefully your experience turns out to be similar to mine. Good luck!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    I have a confession to make. I hate running; especially as a fat person.

The only time I ever enjoyed it was when I was about 100lbs in high school and I felt like I was flying when I ran.

Now, I feel like a lumbering fat humpty dumpty. Everything hurts, my boobs want to abuse me, my feet swell, my joints ache. ugh.

I was thinking about starting C25k today but I think I will wait until I am smaller. I will keep up with the weight training and other aerobics.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    It's been a few years since I first started out with C25K, but as I recall it really was right around week 3 that something clicked for me. I remember in the first couple weeks barely being able to do the 90-second intervals, thinking "I can barely do 90 seconds, how am I going to do it when they start measuring in minutes?" But it really was right around there that the intervals got long enough that I just ran and quit thinking about how many seconds were left. It was right around then that I felt like a "real runner" and really started to get a runner's high from it. Everyone's different of course, but hopefully your experience turns out to be similar to mine. Good luck!

I agree that it was around week 3 or 4 that I started to really get into it. I'm on week 7 now and I'm amazed that I'm running 25 minutes straight. I have never been much of a runner even when I was younger and much fitter. But now I love it.
  • It didn't really click for me until week 5. I had to do week 4 twice just to feel ok about it, but now i'm really liking the running. i found that if I slow down, even a little, I can run the whole time. Don't worry about the distance, you're just trying to get your endurance up.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    There aren't a lot of times where I'm out running and I think, "Man, this is FUN!" People always told me about the runner's high, and I guess I get a great feeling that I'm able to do it, that I'm getting faster, but it's not my favorite cardio at all.

For me, there was just a point where I got embarrassed because I couldn't do it. I have asthma, and was obese when I started running. I also did c25k, and never thought I'd ever be able to finish a 30 minute run.

Now, it's not bad.

There are good days and bad days, but it has helped my lung capacity with my asthma so much that I never use my rescue inhaler anymore.

I agree with above commenters, I think it was week 4 that, if I missed a run, I actually kind of /missed/ it. I think, if you stick with it and do your best, the sense of accomplishment with be a huge payoff. It was for me.

And now I can register for all those fun-themed 5ks I always read about. :)
  • Just as others said it can be around 3-4 weeks before you seem to enjoy it. I also don't think that it's a bad idea to repeat a week if you feel that would work better for you. I always notice that I enjoy running more when I get the point of feeling good when I run, even if it's just short periods of time. I have been into running a couple of times in my life and I'm getting back into running now. It's the first time that instead of doing a strict C25K I'm just increasing how much I run based on how I feel each day.

Good luck to you! I'm sure that you'll figure it out :)
  • JazzyMiSa
    JazzyMiSa Posts: 18 Member
    Firstly, congratulations on getting to week three!!!! Good on you! :smile: Please don't give up!!! I'm at the end of week 2 of the c25k program, I start week 3 next week - eek. If you aren't comfortable with the week 3 intervals you can always repeat the week until you feel more comfortable. Just because the program says it should take 9 weeks doesn't mean that everyone will get there in 9 weeks. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it takes you longer - everyone is at a different point in their fitness journey & the 9 weeks is just a guide.

The fact that you are looking forward to your workout is a good thing. I would say that the reason that you aren't enjoying it at the half way mark is because you are finding the 3 minute intervals difficult at the moment. I'm sure I'll feel the same way next week too.

I've never been into running either, not really sure why I actually started it c25k. I heard about it through friends and thought 'why not?', 'what have I got to loose by trying it?'.

If you like we can be c25k buddies & keep each other motivated! Good luck! :smile:
  • Leebett
    Leebett Posts: 238 Member
    I'm currently in week 3 of my C25K program, and I'm just wondering when I'll start to enjoy running. I'll admit, I'm very out of shape, and I don't think I've ever ran more than 1/2 mile at one time (and this was in high school!). I'm starting to think I was crazy to start this program in the first place.

I've been good about making myself go and do the runs, and I even look forward to them. However, I get about half-way through the intervals and I really start to hate it. I just don't see how I'll be able to run a 5k in 6 more weeks - I can barely get through the 3 minute running intervals I'm doing for this week.

Is there some magic hump that I will eventually get over and start to enjoy running? I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

I am in week 4 of the zombie run C25K and I am loving it! The storyline is entertaining and I still get to listen to my playlist in the middle. Last week, I was totally over it. My knee hurt, I was in a bad mood and my schedule got messed up. This week I'm a new girl and just had a personal best record. As some of the others have mentioned maybe you want to repeat a week so that you can feel more confident. Keep at it and you will succeed!
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Thanks everyone!

Thinking back on it now, I remember in week 1 when I couldn't even complete all of my 1 minute intervals. I'm able to complete the 3 minutes now so that's pretty amazing to me. In 2 weeks I've increased my endurance and am able to run 3x as long. I'll keep pushing through and celebrating the little victories and hope that it all just clicks with me soon.
  • Ldenzel
    Firstly, congratulations on getting to week three!!!! Good on you! :smile: Please don't give up!!! I'm at the end of week 2 of the c25k program, I start week 3 next week - eek. If you aren't comfortable with the week 3 intervals you can always repeat the week until you feel more comfortable. Just because the program says it should take 9 weeks doesn't mean that everyone will get there in 9 weeks. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it takes you longer - everyone is at a different point in their fitness journey & the 9 weeks is just a guide.

The fact that you are looking forward to your workout is a good thing. I would say that the reason that you aren't enjoying it at the half way mark is because you are finding the 3 minute intervals difficult at the moment. I'm sure I'll feel the same way next week too.

I've never been into running either, not really sure why I actually started it c25k. I heard about it through friends and thought 'why not?', 'what have I got to loose by trying it?'.

If you like we can be c25k buddies & keep each other motivated! Good luck! :smile:

I started for the same reason. I had a couple of friends who had great success so I thought I'd give it a try too. I've sent you a friend request so we can keep each other motivated!
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    I have never been a runner previous but just did week 4 day 1 today. I did stick with week 3 for 2 weeks in a row because I was struggling with breathing, and had to learn how to stretch because my legs were killing me (I saw a personal trainer to learn this). For the first time since starting I made sure I took a real day off of exercise (over calories and sat most of the day) on my rest day.

Today I did week 4 and did not think to much about the time of my intervals, just listened to the podcast by DJ Beekman, and worked on breathing, not to fast. I was told that if I feel like I can't breathe during a run interval I am going to fast.... slow down. It is not important how fast you go but that you build your body gradually. Advice given to me: it is not about distance or time at this point. It is about minutes and steady going and learning how to pace yourself and breathing. Eventually you can look at distance and time. Don't push to far too fast or you will not like it and maybe hurt yourself.

I was surprised that I did make it through the longer intervals and was able to maintain a jog/ stride while brathing even though huffing alittle at the end. I am always happy to hear the end of the running interval and even happier at the end of the workout. I feel accomplished also and can say that I do want to continue... at the pace right for me. I like that my chunky legs are becoming slimmer, like runner's legs.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member

Keep up the great work you will get there. I am now on week 11 continuing on with the 10K App. But it have been far more than 11 weeks since I started. I did not begin to enjoy running until I did my first 5K. Races are lots of fun and I have won cool prizes afterward like a 3 month gym membership. Sign up for a local charity 5K and just do it even if you walk alot of it. Then you will have something to train for and a person best (PB) time to beat.:flowerforyou:
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    So I am on week 2 this week.

I initially started this last fall (November to be exact). I couldn't make it through the second 60 second run. I was exhausted and my legs ached for days after!!!!!!!! I took a break from MFP and exercise and got back into this year. I restarted C25K and completed that first week with no issues. Same thing with this week...so far. I LOVE IT. I love that I can actually complete it because I've always wanted to be a runner.

I can understand how you are currently feeling. It's harder when you are heavier (like I was in November) but walking has certainly helped my endurance. Try to get some walking in on the days you're not doing C25K. It totally changed my ability to get through the program. Great advice you got about restarting a week if you need to. I may be doing that in the weeks that the running is a little longer.

Good luck and great job getting started!!
  • Ldenzel

Keep up the great work you will get there. I am now on week 11 continuing on with the 10K App. But it have been far more than 11 weeks since I started. I did not begin to enjoy running until I did my first 5K. Races are lots of fun and I have won cool prizes afterward like a 3 month gym membership. Sign up for a local charity 5K and just do it even if you walk alot of it. Then you will have something to train for and a person best (PB) time to beat.:flowerforyou:
    I'm signed up for a Color Run that benefits our local Human Society. I am doubly excited for it because the Color Runs always look so fun, plus I love to help out animals :) I'm nervous, but looking forward to it.
  • Ldenzel
    I have never been a runner previous but just did week 4 day 1 today. I did stick with week 3 for 2 weeks in a row because I was struggling with breathing, and had to learn how to stretch because my legs were killing me (I saw a personal trainer to learn this). For the first time since starting I made sure I took a real day off of exercise (over calories and sat most of the day) on my rest day.

Today I did week 4 and did not think to much about the time of my intervals, just listened to the podcast by DJ Beekman, and worked on breathing, not to fast. I was told that if I feel like I can't breathe during a run interval I am going to fast.... slow down. It is not important how fast you go but that you build your body gradually. Advice given to me: it is not about distance or time at this point. It is about minutes and steady going and learning how to pace yourself and breathing. Eventually you can look at distance and time. Don't push to far too fast or you will not like it and maybe hurt yourself.

I was surprised that I did make it through the longer intervals and was able to maintain a jog/ stride while brathing even though huffing alittle at the end. I am always happy to hear the end of the running interval and even happier at the end of the workout. I feel accomplished also and can say that I do want to continue... at the pace right for me. I like that my chunky legs are becoming slimmer, like runner's legs.

Thanks! That's great advice. I think that may be part of my problem. I don't know how to properly stretch after a run. I also think I start out too fast. I'm fine for my first few intervals and then I just burn out. I'll have to work on pacing myself so I can get through the full run.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Keep up the good work. You can always repeat days or weeks. Dont worry about being to big, 3 years ago I ran 5k heavier than I am now. I didnt run it all. I walked/Ran the wholeway. I restarted c25k and Tomorrow I begin week3...my plan of action is to run slower than this past week. Just take it at your own speed. Feel free to friend me and I will cheer as well as cry with you in accomplishing the c25k!
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    I'm 288lbs and in my first week of c25k. I've done week 1 day 1 four times before i could run the whole thing. Just yesturday i completely ran the whole day! i was very proud. I absolutely hated running and only dislike it right now for the fact that i am quite fat still and it's rough to haul this load around haha. Dispite that, i am enjoying running (even the part where i feel like i'm dying) because i know it's progress and i see my progress. going from only being able to jog 4 intervales to the whole sessions worth of intervales. I honestly cannot wait until i lose the weight and don't have to carry two + people with me while i run, i imagine that will make it much more fun. However as i said i am already enjoying watching my progress each day that i do this program.

As for a note for OP, maybe running isn't for you? try other methods of working out if you can. That's all i can really suggest. find something you enjoy doing and it'll drive you even more to do it :)
  • LillyPandafish
    LillyPandafish Posts: 3 Member
    I started week 1 this week and so far I've done the first 2 workouts (with a day off in-between. This is my second day off and I go out again tomorrow). I've always hated running - even as a kid when I was skinny I hated it. I could barely run for the bus. My Aunt gave me a flyer for a 5k Spooky Sprint in aid of the Parkinson's research charity which is happening in October... and I thought I'd give it a go. Some years ago, I signed up for the Race for Life and did 1 training session before giving up. I did the race, but walked the whole way. I felt I'd let everyone down.

This time, I feel different. I don't know if it's because I'm also doing it for health reasons (i.e. I need to lose weight. A lot) or because something has just clicked. I've been out twice, as I said, and I'm loving it. I love the feeling of the wind on my face, and the views from the local park across the moors, and yes, OK, I love the feeling of having finished!! ;) I love the sense of achievement and feeling like I can make a difference by running for a charity.

The first session was hard - my chest felt really odd and heavy and I found it difficult to keep going. Then it started getting easier. I know I've only done 2 sessions, but I can feel a difference. I really hope you can keep going and start enjoying it. Maybe a change of scene? I take huge inspiration in running in the park where I used to go as a kid cos I can enjoy the memories and create new ones. I'm taking it slowly and not pushing myself by trying to run too fast - pacing yourself really helps!

Sorry this is a bit long - I'm just really excited about it! :)
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    To give a perspective for you to consider here is what my experience is :) In February I started this journey at 204 at 5'3...that is way too much weight. I started out walking. It became a "math game"....why walk an hour to burn 300 calories if I can workout only 30 minutes by running a little and getting that 300 calories in :) ya know....two kids....job....I had no desire to work out an hour a day. I started the C25K in April. I've never been a runner but it burns more calories. I don't know that I can say "WHEN" you start enjoying it....perhaps never really enjoy it....what you start feeling is confidence. Confidence and motivation to say "hey I ran those yesterday so I KNOW I got this". Confidence to say "Wow...two weeks ago I couldn't have done that". and maybe most importantly "Hey.....I made it through today!". I just ran my first 5k last Thursday. I'm not fast....I dont' know if I'll ever be fast but I'm incredibly proud of myself....when you start feeling proud of yourself you start to enjoy the run, enjoy the alone time, enjoy that it relieves stress, and enjoy that you are able to achieve something so awesome.

It doesn't matter how much to you walk, how fast you run, how far you go.....just keep doing it. You'll not regret that you keep at it. You can do this....I know you can because if I can then anyone can.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    I found that something clicked into place about week 5 or 6 when I seemed to make a huge leap forwards, and then I seemed to get 'stuck' again for a while, then made another leap in progress.

First off, you might NOT be able to run 5k in six weeks - the programme has you running for 30 minutes which for many new runners won't be 5k. You also might need to repeat some weeks. That's all ok! What I can promise is that if you stick with it, in six weeks you will be running MUCH further than you are now.

It will be tough all the way through because as you get better, it gets harder. But you know what? You will feel like a superstar every time you finish a longer run.

Pacing is so hard and I'm not even close to figuring it out, but it does come with practice. Keep telling yourself 'nice and easy' and resisting the urge to spring off.

I don't really enjoy running, but I do enjoy having run, if that makes sense. Some runs are bad, some are good. But I feel it's easy to measure your progress with a plan like this and seeing regular improvement makes it easier to stick with it.

I am a total c25k convert - it's made a massive difference to me, I'm now doing a 10k programme. I'll be happy to cheer you on if you want to add me.