Ketogenic Diet??

Options
I am 5 4 and weigh 128lbs. I've lost 9lbs in 5 weeks. My body fat % has gone from 25% to 22.5%. I have a personal trainer and work out (with weights) 4 times per week, first thing in the morning (7-8am) on an empty stomach. I eat 1200 - 1600 calories a day and my diet is high protein, low in carbs - fat somewhere in between.

I am wondering if it might be worth trying the ketogenic diet. I have done some research and it seems that this diet will yield great results. I want to get down to 18 - 20% body fat before I start moving on to the bulking phase and I am looking for the most effective way to do that. This last 2-5% body fat might be tough to shift so it will take hard work in the gym and with my diet. The foods that are allowed on the ketogenic diet look freakin tasty too so thats a real draw for me. Oh, and to anyone who is about to give me jip about needing to see this as a lifestyle change......this is my life :) I am an intense human being. Thats the way I like it baby!!

Anyhoo, anyone out there able to vouch for/give their opinion on the keto diet?

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    asking people on MFP about starting a high protein high fat diet that includes eating cheese, bacon and all that other good sht on a regular is gonna get hilarious results.

most women here dodge fats like the plague and get no moer thant 70g of protein lol. I say go for it, I have a mate who did it but couldnt stick it (he love dem carbs). They key is how your body works with carbs, some people cant hack low carbs and just feel tired and miserable as sin.

but yes there are some big benefits on going keto
  • littlebee26
    Options
    asking people on MFP about starting a high protein high fat diet that includes eating cheese, bacon and all that other good sht on a regular is gonna get hilarious results.

most women here dodge fats like the plague and get no moer thant 70g of protein lol. I say go for it, I have a mate who did it but couldnt stick it (he love dem carbs). They key is how your body works with carbs, some people cant hack low carbs and just feel tired and miserable as sin.

but yes there are some big benefits on going keto

Awww I'm well used to getting hilarious replies :P I think I will give this a go. I'm on very low carbs as it is so it shouldn't be that much of a transition. I'll just have to get used to all the bacon and steak!!!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet has no more effect than a normal caloric deficit unless you have medical issues with Insulin (chances are you don't)
  • littlebee26
    Options
    Ketogenic diet has no more effect than a normal caloric deficit unless you have medical issues with Insulin (chances are you don't)

Nope, indeed I do not. I may still give it a go though. As it does sound tasty
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am 5 4 and weigh 128lbs. I've lost 9lbs in 5 weeks. My body fat % has gone from 25% to 22.5%. I have a personal trainer and work out (with weights) 4 times per week, first thing in the morning (7-8am) on an empty stomach. I eat 1200 - 1600 calories a day and my diet is high protein, low in carbs - fat somewhere in between.

I am wondering if it might be worth trying the ketogenic diet. I have done some research and it seems that this diet will yield great results. I want to get down to 18 - 20% body fat before I start moving on to the bulking phase and I am looking for the most effective way to do that. This last 2-5% body fat might be tough to shift so it will take hard work in the gym and with my diet. The foods that are allowed on the ketogenic diet look freakin tasty too so thats a real draw for me. Oh, and to anyone who is about to give me jip about needing to see this as a lifestyle change......this is my life :) I am an intense human being. Thats the way I like it baby!!

I have eaten ketogenically for over a year, and would never go back to calorie counting or eating the standard 40/30/30 ratios or whatever. Literally. If I were in prison, I'd probably have to shank a guy for their bologna every day.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm ketogenic for health reasons first and foremost. It's a permanent LIFESTYLE for me.

Firstly, you may already be at a healthy weight, so I wouldn't agree on a "diet". If you want to improve health, by all means give it a try. However, a ketogenic lifestyle is high fat NOT high protein. Protein should be moderate which varies upon your personal needs. Fat should always make up the vast majority of your macros (that goes for everyone, imo).

It's a myth that you HAVE to eat a bunch of bacon. Please do some research into the lifestyle. Personally, I follow a Paleo version because it is my opinion that processed foods, including "diet/low carb" and artifiical sweeteners/flavours, are not conducive to optimal health. But lots of people will now jump in and tell you/me how I am so wrong. :laugh:
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    no...terrible idea
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Feel free to try it, but I don't see why when you can just eat 'fatty' foods in your normal macros :D
  • littlebee26
    Options

I have eaten ketogenically for over a year, and would never go back to calorie counting or eating the standard 40/30/30 ratios or whatever. Literally. If I were in prison, I'd probably have to shank a guy for their bologna every day.

Yea, I reckon it might be the way forward for me. I have no problem with a disciplined diet, but hey, it might as well include as many foods that you love as possible. The Keto diet looks like the kind of sh1t I'm into!!!
  • littlebee26
    Options
    no...terrible idea

why so?
  • littlebee26
    Options

Feel free to try it, but I don't see why when you can just eat 'fatty' foods in your normal macros :D

I suppose I just like the clear guidance of a diet like this when cutting.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I suppose I just like the clear guidance of a diet like this when cutting.

What do you mean? What's so clear about the ketogenic diet in comparison to a normal diet?

You have macros, you hit them... that's it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yea, I reckon it might be the way forward for me. I have no problem with a disciplined diet, but hey, it might as well include as many foods that you love as possible. The Keto diet looks like the kind of sh1t I'm into!!!

This may be shocking, but you could have a flexible diet and eat all the foods you love, including ones with carbs. Woah
  • littlebee26
    Options
    I'm ketogenic for health reasons first and foremost. It's a permanent LIFESTYLE for me.

Firstly, you may already be at a healthy weight, so I wouldn't agree on a "diet". If you want to improve health, by all means give it a try. However, a ketogenic lifestyle is high fat NOT high protein. Protein should be moderate which varies upon your personal needs. Fat should always make up the vast majority of your macros (that goes for everyone, imo).

It's a myth that you HAVE to eat a bunch of bacon. Please do some research into the lifestyle. Personally, I follow a Paleo version because it is my opinion that processed foods, including "diet/low carb" and artifiical sweeteners/flavours, are not conducive to optimal health. But lots of people will now jump in and tell you/me how I am so wrong. :laugh:

Well, its common sense that processed foods and artificial sweetners are not healthy so I don't think anyone can really argue with that. Would a paleo version of the keto diet not leave you limited in what you can eat though? Could I send you a friend request and have a peek in you diary??
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    no...terrible idea

why so?

Coz there an idiot... I've never done Keto but I'm not ignorant enough to refute a type of diet that has worked at even at the top levels of bodybuilding
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    no...terrible idea

why so?

Coz their an idiot... I've never done Keto but I'm not ignorant enough to refute a type of diet that has worked at even at the top levels of bodybuilding
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    no...terrible idea

why so?

Coz their an idiot... I've never done Keto but I'm not ignorant enough to refute a type of diet that has worked at even at the top levels of bodybuilding

No-one is saying it doesn't work, it's just... there is no need.
  • littlebee26
    Options

This may be shocking, but you could have a flexible diet and eat all the foods you love, including ones with carbs. Woah

WOW!!! Thats some crazy sh1t you are talking man!! Why is it so inconceivable to some people that I may not need that flexiblity. Sheesh, everyone is different. I like rigidity. I'm an intense person. And I'm cool with that ;)
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    But you could get the best of both worlds and carb cycle, one day high carb lower fat, one day higher fat lower carb.. etc...

Personally I don't see why people would remove carbs from their diet, just makes no sense to me.
  • littlebee26
    Options
    no...terrible idea

why so?

No-one is saying it doesn't work, it's just... there is no need.

As I already said above - Why is it so inconceivable to some people that I may not need that flexiblity. Sheesh, everyone is different. I like rigidity. I'm an intense person. And I'm cool with that ;)