Done with paying to gain weight

Options
I was referred here by a Facebook friend who is having stellar results. I'm a longtime yo-yo dieter and most recently lost 22 lbs on Weight Watchers and then put it all back and then some over the last year (while still paying for a membership that I wasn't using). I tend to be an all-or-nothing person. I fall into something whole hog and if I don't see results immediately, I give up. I can't keep paying for quick fixes or promises that include too much time and effort. I like this plan because I eat real meals and I have days when I just don't have time to exercise. I am finding that the formula FINALLY makes sense to me. I get to see the actual amount of calories I put into my body and the nutrients I ingest (or don't). I also am far more motivated to make time for even a short walk or some gardening so I haven't had a day yet where I've done nothing. This is only my first week, of course, but it feels manageable. Like a life, not a diet. I'm 48 years old, I started at almost 185 and I want to lose 55 pounds. It feels momentous so I'm saying that I need to lose one pound. A week. *smile*

Replies

• johnfb1118
    Options
    Great Job with getting started! Hang in there and stay confident!
  • stacylou2
    Options
    HI, I just left Weight Watchers, too. I started at 186 and lost 38 pounds, but toward the end I was sabotaging my weight loss efforts and so I put about 5 pounds back on. I just started MFP this week (I was a member briefly last year). Like you, I'm an all or nothing person, too.

I'm hoping to "all" this, to give it my all but to not punish myself if I make a mistake. If you need a weight loss friend, feel free to add me.

Best of luck (and hard work) to you,
    Stacy
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Welcome! As a former yo-yo dieter myself I would suggest checking out these two groups. They've really helped myself and many many others learn how to eat sensibly to lose weight that will stay off forever. Best of luck to you, you've come to the right place!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • KhaoticSoul
    Options
    I too spent years yo-yoing, doing nothing more than steadily gaining, getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I too used to believe in the quick fixes and fad diets. Now I have almost completely changed my lifestyle, and without any fancy tricks, pills or potions, have managed to lose the weight I have and keep it off. Just with the food I eat and exercising. Staying motivated is a hard one too, but have now reached a point where I feel worse and a failure if I don't work out when I have no legitimate excuse ( occasionally with my kids I do have days where I just cant fit the time in, though midnight workouts are still occasionally fitted in just because I cant go to bed without it.) So congratulations on making a fresh start, and good luck on your journey, I'm sure you'll make it this time :)
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start. Its the little changes that add up to a lifetime. To me, there is no way possible to lose 55 pounds but one pound at a time I can manage. :-) Good luck
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Most of us have been yo-yo dieters in the past. They say when you want something different, you have to do something different. MFP was that for me. Great for you to make this move into finding a lifestyle change that you can live with. I am NOOOO expert by any given means, but finding an exercise that I actually like doing, is a big motivator for me to keep doing it. It doesn't feel like exercise. Now that I have been into for 8 months, I am wanting to try other things, and I will soon. Staying committed past the 3/4 month process is the hardest to do... at least it had been for me in the past. But, as you said, this should be a lifestyle.. not a fad diet of some sort. If you want to add me, I will support you in any way that I can. Much Success to You!
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was a former Weight Watcher but for a longer period of time - 10 years. I did manage to lose 60 pounds but over the course of time ended up gaining it all back. I said the same thing you did, why pay someone to tell you you've gained.

I will confess that I started MFP awhile ago but lost my way and am back now. I too am an all or nothing person and need to realize that if I do have days that my choices are not so good, just journal it and move on. Quitting really doesn't get you anywhere.

All we can do is give it our best and take it one day at a time.
  • m1ladydi
    Options
    You're off to a great start. Its the little changes that add up to a lifetime.

Thanks! I need to remember this about the little changes. I was hoping to see more of a loss this first week but realize I've been slacking on my water the past couple of days. Those little changes really do make a difference!
  • m1ladydi
    Options
    Hang in there and stay confident!

That's one of the hardest things for me to do...staying confident. I imagine that will come as I see positive results. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • m1ladydi
    Options
    Thanks for the links, KarenJanine! I'm happy to have them.