What do you snack on?

Options
As i type this i am sitting here snacking on Tostios and cheese dip. On a scale from 1 - 10 i don't know how "clean" this is but i figured it can't be that bad.

Anyway my question is, what do yall snack on throughout the day? If you are on a budget, how much of it goes to snacks when you grocery shop?

Replies

• CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    At work I snack on snack pack nuts, 100 calorie yogurt, 90 calorie Cracker Barrel Cheddar cheese slices, pickles, baby carrots grapes or watermelon. I bring a lunch box full of goodies that get me through the day (most times I end up bringing most of it home but at least its there if I get hungry)

If at home I will sometimes grab a cup or two of plain cheerios no milk, a WW fudge bar or some sort of fruit.

I rarely eat regular chips because you don't get very many for the cals it brings to the table. My new obsession right now is Popcorners in white cheddar. I can only eat them at work because I will measure out a baggie and enjoy them. I tried eating them at home and overate them so I have to be careful (yes they are THAT good!)
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My favourite snacks are veggie sticks -- usually carrots or bell peppers -- with cottage cheese for a dip (sometimes I mash some avocado into the cottage cheese as well), rice cakes topped with nut butter and sliced banana, Greek yoghurt mixed with frozen berries, apples, and small handfuls of dried fruit and nuts. For something a bit more substantial, I might have a can of tuna mixed with Greek yoghurt, cucumber, and some frozen peas.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    some of my go-to snacks are:
    almonds
    carrots & hummus
    hard boiled eggs
    string cheese
    Greek yogurt
    trail mix
  • RichardFL
    Options
    I snack on cashews, almonds, peanuts, pistachios, greek yogurt (frozen and not), freeze dried fruits, and on the less healthy side popcorn or french fries maybe once a week or so. I can't do chips any more since I seem to treat reaching the bottom of the bag as a goal, but I stopped missing them after a month or two of not having any in the house.

The greek yogurt is way too expensive at probably about $10 a week since I eat about one container a day. The freeze dried fruit is about the same price as fresh fruit, but it's just a lot more convenient since it doesn't go bad and you can carry it much easier on a bike ride or trip.
  • lucybarnes9822
    Options
    I snack on carrots, almonds, dried apricots, apples, bananas and chocolate milk is my treat every 2 or 3 days
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My favorite are apples, carrots (don't do baby, they dip them in chemicals) and any sort of raw veggies, no dip. I know raw veggies sound kind of gross but I buy organic (worth the difference in taste) and after trying it once or twice they taste awesome and are incredibly filling. It amazes me each time how full I feel after eating a little bit of veggies. Celery, broccoli, and cauliflower are my favorites.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I snack on cashews, almonds, peanuts, pistachios, greek yogurt (frozen and not), freeze dried fruits, and on the less healthy side popcorn or french fries maybe once a week or so. I can't do chips any more since I seem to treat reaching the bottom of the bag as a goal, but I stopped missing them after a month or two of not having any in the house.

The greek yogurt is way too expensive at probably about $10 a week since I eat about one container a day. The freeze dried fruit is about the same price as fresh fruit, but it's just a lot more convenient since it doesn't go bad and you can carry it much easier on a bike ride or trip.

Greek yogurt doesn't have to be expensive. Stop buying the individual cups and get the big tubs instead. It says 4 servings but I split it up into five 3/4 cup servings and that lasts me the week. Add in some fresh fruit and chia seeds and you've got a pretty yummy, healthy and filling snack.

So obvioulsy that's one of my go-to snacks. I also snack on cocoa roast almonds (emerald 100 cal packs, otherwise I can't control myself), oatmeal with raisins, cucumbers, bananas and other fruit. Oh and protein bars.
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Pickles
    Cucumbers
    Wasabi soy almonds
    Beef jerky
  • lynalinda
    lynalinda Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on almond and goji berries, rice cakes with almond butter, humus and veggies, fruit salads, dark chocolate, apple sauce, chocolate almond or soy milk and that's pretty much it .)
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had greek yogurt before and i have to say it was the worst thing i ever tasted. The bitter flavor is not cool
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    cucmbers, bell peppers, celery & hummus, carrot, fresh fruit, nuts and the occasional bitter chocolate or stroopwafel! (syrup waffle for you non dutchies, big cookie with approx. 150 cal). If I need more prtein, I love a small glass of buttermilk.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas and carrots are my go-to. Any veggie will do, really!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Apples, bananas, watermelon, nectarines, grapes, oranges, string cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, guacamole/salsa and multigrain scoops, hummus, wheat thins, luna bars, larabars, nature valley bars. SOOOO many options :)
  • nwatson14
    nwatson14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had greek yogurt before and i have to say it was the worst thing i ever tasted. The bitter flavor is not cool

I second that! I think it is NASTY!!
  • nwatson14
    nwatson14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As i type this i am sitting here snacking on Tostios and cheese dip. On a scale from 1 - 10 i don't know how "clean" this is but i figured it can't be that bad.

Anyway my question is, what do yall snack on throughout the day? If you are on a budget, how much of it goes to snacks when you grocery shop?

I bring grapes, a banana and a Fiber One 90 calorie bar.
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    my favorite snacks are:
    toasted coconut almonds
    dark chocolate oven roasted almonds
    peanut butter
    apples & fruit
    string cheese
    fiber one bars
    jello 60 calorie pudding cups
    hummus
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Plain carrots or plain celery.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Fruit
    Rice cakes with light soft cheese
    Natural low fat greek yogurt with fruit

I am on a budget so try buy things that will last and that will fill me up.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Yeah, I had the same issue. Then I decided to try it with a sliced granny smith apple and topped the yogurt with cinnamon. I dip the slices into the yogurt and It is AWESOME. I've tried it with 2% and 0% Greek Yogurt.

Other snacks that I eat:
    small apple and an ounce of cheddar cheese
    Red ants on a log (Celery, natural peanut butter and about 3 Craisins per 'log')
    Baby Carrots with Hummus
    guacamole and multigrain tortilla chips
    I'm making a parfait for my late afternoon snack before I hit the gym. About a cup of Greek Yogurt with mixed berries and approximately 1/4 C of granola
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My two favorite snacks are:
    1.) Cherry tomatoes! I have two plants in my garden, so I generally have a bowl with fresh picked on my counter. When I only have a few, I'll buy some more from the store.
    2.) Snack cheese. I LOVE cheese. I like to buy Mini Babybel Lights and Kroger's Cowpals.