5:2 I Don't understand!!!

Options
I do not understand how this can possibly be a healthy way to loose weight! I am a firm believer in a total life style change. It needs to be something manageable for the rest of your life and I am sorry but I am not going to basically starve myself two days a week. Let's face it my family doesn't like me when I am hungry...I am miserable. Maybe I am missing something here but I am making the changes that I need to be healthy for the rest of my life, not some crazy diet that will make me loose weight and eventually gain it back.

If it takes me two years of eating right and getting my rear up and moving to drop the weight I am okay with that. I am doing to this in a way that I will only need to loose it once and be done. I am sure it works for certain people I am just not willing to do that to myself.

Replies

• intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've actually been eating in this type of way for a while, without realizing. It's effortless. I haven't lost any weight though, just maintained, as my "non fast" days are a little higher calories than most.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I do not understand how this can possibly be a healthy way to loose weight! I am a firm believer in a total life style change. It needs to be something manageable for the rest of your life and I am sorry but I am not going to basically starve myself two days a week. Let's face it my family doesn't like me when I am hungry...I am miserable. Maybe I am missing something here but I am making the changes that I need to be healthy for the rest of my life, not some crazy diet that will make me loose weight and eventually gain it back.

If it takes me two years of eating right and getting my rear up and moving to drop the weight I am okay with that. I am doing to this in a way that I will only need to loose it once and be done. I am sure it works for certain people I am just not willing to do that to myself.

OK, that's fine, you don't have to do it. Why should you worry if other people want to do it, can do it, and find that it suits THEM? It's not impacting you in any way. Move on!
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Who are you talking to??
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

OK, that's fine, you don't have to do it. Why should you worry if other people want to do it, can do it, and find that it suits THEM? It's not impacting you in any way. Move on!

QFT
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not using 5:2 but I think I understand the basic principle. I do think that it can be healthy and it can be a lifestyle change.

Can people take this diet to the extreme, and can it be unhealthy? .....I'm sure that's true too.

The basic principle .... you fast INTERMITTANTLY. One example (there are more versions) ...... you eat at maintenance for 5 days & then for 2 (non-consecutive days) you "fast" ...............the "fast" is that women eat 500 calories and men eat 600 calories..... these 2 days make up ALL your calorie deficit for the week.

So, if my maintenance was 2100 calories, I end up eating an average of 1,643 calories a day ..... over the period of a week [(5 x 2100 + 2 x 500) / 7 = 1643]. This would teach me to eat at my maintenance calories. To go off this diet, I would simple exchange 1 fast day for maintenance....... see how that went...... and then exchange the last fast day for maintenance.

Abuse of this method would be doing some incredibly heard workouts during fast days ..... or doing 1200 calories PLUS 2 fast days ..... this is not how the diet is designed.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I find myself naturally doing something like this. Not 500 calories, but closer to 1000 once or twice a week. Usually on my rest days from exercise because I just don't get as hungry.

Makes sense to me that people would be hungry on days they exercise and not so much on days they don't, but whatever works for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It can be healthy and be done as a lifestyle if done properly...same for IF (problem is a lot of people don't do it properly). I personally couldn't do it 'cuz I'm a total foodie and love to eat...so I eat all day long...but it definitely works for a lot of people. Different strokes for different folks.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    2 low calorie days interespersed with eating at maintenance level is NOT starving yourself.

There is a scientific basis to it.

Most people get over their hunger feelings - they learn through practise how to recognise and deal with them.

But it's OK, no-body will force you to do 5:2, it's an indivdual choice.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

"Kinda" totally unrelated to this topic/PLEASE forgive the hi-jack, BUT....

@Beattie1...Honey, you are rocking that dress--LOVE the dress and your "tude" in it:bigsmile: --72 pounds of flab&fat forever gone to the place where the sun will NEVER shine is tremendous as well. GO GIRL--you ROCK!
    :love: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :love:
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Then.... Don't do that.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You know, look at it this way - if you eat this way, you're basically eating like a thin person. They have days that they go over their calorie 'budget' and then they cut back the next day or so. Makes sense to me? Not the path i'm choosing, but i can see how some would embrace it.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 but I've never been a 5:2 "pusher," demanding people do it with me. And I'm most definitely not starving! I'm hungry 2 days a week, it's gotten where I hardly even notice it anymore. On weekends I don't even log or concern myself with calories whatsoever. I'm sure I hit over 4K calories on a typical Saturday. And I'm still shrinking.

It works for me but it's not going to be a fit for everyone else. No big deal.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

@Beattie1...Honey, you are rocking that dress--LOVE the dress and your "tude" in it:bigsmile: --72 pounds of flab&fat forever gone to the place where the sun will NEVER shine is tremendous as well. GO GIRL--you ROCK!

I, too, can attest to the fact that Beattie does in fact ROCK! :bigsmile: :heart: :drinker: Love her!!!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Wow! What can I say?!! Newlifestyle4me and Rays_wife, thank you both!! Got all emotional reading your testimonials! I shall have to take a screen shot and save it!! :-)

I've NEVER been told I rock before!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

You're so misinformed, it's insulting.
  • CharityC2182
    CharityC2182 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    like trainer Chris Powell says ...don't starve yourself and make yourseld do crazy types of activities in the beginning..start out small and slowly work up to where it's normal for you to not be as hungry as maybe before..you aren't expected to change overnight..for instance take a walk around the block..then the next week maybe 2..lifestyle changes aren't meant to torture people but get them where there supposed to be in a healthy and satisfying way..without starving yourself, etc.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Pretty much this.
  • jennylee133
    jennylee133 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree...you look awesome!! :)

• apraalii
    Options
    It's actually been scientifically proven to aid weight loss and help your body to detox naturally. It's not starving yourself, it's learning self control.. and you can still eat a good 2 meals a day! I can survive quite happily on 1100-1300 calories a day if I'm not doing a lot of physical activity, so dropping down to 500 once or twice a week isn't so hard. I don't follow this diet, but I know people who do and it works wonders for them.

I lived with someone a couple years ago, ate fried chicken and pizza and cakes and cream and all sorts of fattening foods... but she lost a ridiculous amount of weight over a month or so just by limiting herself for two days a week.

If you don't get the diet, then ask people about it. Don't start proclaiming that it's the worst thing ever and how on earth can people follow it, etc. If Doctors have said that it's good for you, then it's good for you.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Let's face it my family doesn't like me when I am hungry...I am miserable.

Hungry today I am guessing.
    Maybe I am missing something here

Most definitely!

Benjamin_ca5da3_217089.gif