How long did your HRM last ?

Options
Question: how long did your HRM last before you had to get a new one?

I ask becuause for the past month or so my HRM seems to have gone crazy on me. It doesn't detect my HR and keeps telling me to check the strap thingy.

I have a Polar H7 HRM. I have had it for 2 years.

The first battery lasted way over a year and have replaced it a couple of months ago so I'm guessing the battery is ok.
I've soacked the strap quite well & have tried to reposition while working out.
Is there a possibility that I may need to replace the strap?

Last night I walked jogged for 70+ minutes and my HRM said I only burned 233 calories because it kept messing up.

TIA!!!

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 Polar FT4s and the first lasted 6 months.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I use a Garmin F60 women's watch, and have had it for about 2 years. I had to get a replacement after the strap broke on my last one (same model - lasted maybe a few months). It doesn't look pretty, but it works like a charm.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the Garmin F60 women's watch HRM...I will look into it since I may need to replace mine soon. Thank you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 is 2.5 years old. I've replaced the watch battery once and never the transmitter. It gets almost daily use.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    A few months. I've already replaced the battery once.

Edit; I have the FT7
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My Suunto lasted me about 3 years (was still working well, just upgraded to a garmin so I sold it). I replaced the battery in it once.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Do you wash the strap? I was having that issue with my Polar FT4 and I read that it might need to be washed. So, I threw it in the washing machine, and it's working perfectly again.

I had an Oregon Scientific that lasted 2 weeks (grrr). I got the Polar in February.
  • Lionhearthealth
    Lionhearthealth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a polar authorized dealer and I have one myself. It could be that the transmitter inside your strap is going bad. If you use your monitor several times a week, the strap may last about 2 years or so. My recommendation would be to buy a new strap (which is cheaper than buying a new monitor). The new ones have a "user changable" battery, so you can just pop in a new battery when it starts going bad and you won't have to send it in for replacement. Please feel free to contact me for a quote. website: www.lionhearthealth.com email: lionhearthealth@sbcglobal.net ~ Eleanor
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    After about 6 months my FT4 was being quirky and I was really disappointed considering that they're not cheap! But now it's back to normal after doing these things:

- Wash the strap periodically (without the transmitter piece on it). I stick mine in a little mesh bag and throw it in the washing machine every other week or so.
    - Even though you just changed the battery, try a new battery. Sometimes the new batteries are in the store well beyond the exp date, so when you buy a new battery be sure to check the date. And change the battery in BOTH the receiver and the transmitter (both the "watch" and the piece that snaps to the chest strap).
    - Be sure to take the transmitter off the strap every time.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    I bought a watch from Target that would calculate my runs as well as heart rate and easy to use because I hate technology lol. I paid like 30$ for it and lasted just over two years.. it worked fine but the lady at walmart broke the band and it was a metal piece I dunno how she did it but I cant wear it now.... sad day. Don't let people of walmart replace your watch batteries!!
  • deniseg31
    Options
    I am a polar authorized dealer and I have one myself. It could be that the transmitter inside your strap is going bad. If you use your monitor several times a week, the strap may last about 2 years or so. My recommendation would be to buy a new strap (which is cheaper than buying a new monitor). The new ones have a "user changable" battery, so you can just pop in a new battery when it starts going bad and you won't have to send it in for replacement. Please feel free to contact me for a quote. website: www.lionhearthealth.com email: lionhearthealth@sbcglobal.net ~ Eleanor

Thank you very much Elenor. I will look into buying a new strap if all else fails. Are the straps sold on the Polar website?
  • deniseg31
    Options
    After about 6 months my FT4 was being quirky and I was really disappointed considering that they're not cheap! But now it's back to normal after doing these things:

- Wash the strap periodically (without the transmitter piece on it). I stick mine in a little mesh bag and throw it in the washing machine every other week or so.
    - Even though you just changed the battery, try a new battery. Sometimes the new batteries are in the store well beyond the exp date, so when you buy a new battery be sure to check the date. And change the battery in BOTH the receiver and the transmitter (both the "watch" and the piece that snaps to the chest strap).
    - Be sure to take the transmitter off the strap every time.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will try these and hope that something works before I replace any of the components.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I've never heard of the Garmin F60 women's watch HRM...I will look into it since I may need to replace mine soon. Thank you.

Probably because it has been discontinued for over a year. :) I also missed a letter - it's the FR60. I love Garmin - if you run, they have hefty running computers. I have also used a Polar F4 (also old as heck) and that lasted over a year. I like both brands, but I never ran too long with Polar.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7 that is at least 7-10 years old. I have replaced the battery twice (PITA because you have to send it to Polar to have the battery changed, but I can't complain too much because twice in 10 years is pretty minor). It still works really well and picks up my HR even when it is resting (like when I turn it on before a workout).