Net calories and exercises

Options
Hy everyone!

So, I don't know if this has been discussed (for sure YES) but i have a conundrum.
So this thinking applies to both weight gaining and losing:
So I calculated my BMR, and yada yada. Let's say I'm losing weight, so I reduce my intake calories by 500, my net calories being 1500. I already have a 500 deficit, so probably I'll lose weight. What happens when i jog for 30 minutes at 5% incline 8kph on the treadmill and loose another 500 calories? My net calories becomes 1000 calories right? Well...is this considered unhealthy? Or will it bring me closer to my desired results?

And another thing: as the above example could be good for losing weight, what happens when I want to bulk up? I'd have to consume 2500 calories and I would still want to take that jog, will it be possible? Will the 500 calories jog cancel all my gains in those extra 500 calories that i have eaten? This is a tricky one. At the end of the day, is the net calories consumed all that matter? Is jogging not advisable for those who want to bulk up?

Cheers,

Replies

• Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    From what I understand through study of the subject and personal experience it depends.

When slimming down you need to maintain a calorie deficit. You can do this by reducing calories and increasing exercise. Most calculations for burning calories are based on measurements done on athletes(around 8% bf) so when a machine says you burned 500 calories for your weight, it is likely that you with a bf of 20-30% burned 3-400 calories. The three problems that occur when limiting calories is maintaining proper amounts of micro(vitamins and minerals) and macro(carbs, essential fatty acids, protein) nutriends, loss of muscle mass(as your body metabolizes muscle at a higher rate, and lack of energy(which can demotivate you from working out and give you cravings). If you can push through the hunger cravings/lack of energy then your main focus should be to maintain muscle by eating proper micro and macro nutrients and performing resistance exercises.

When bulking up. You will want to maintain a calorie surplus. Hitting nutrient and protein goals should be easy as you can eat more. The main concern is eating too much/ too little. Gaining some fat during this is actually desirable. You can only gain about 1% of you weight in lean body mass(muscle) per month although you may experience more initially as your muscle swell with water for protein synthesis and ATP(energy) production. If you weighed 150 lbs. you might expect to gain 1.5-2 lbs. of muscle in a month however most individuals on a proper routine will gain 3-5 lbs. This is because of how our body priorities energy to be stored. If you only gain 1 lb. you are likely gaining only .5 lbs of muscle and .5 lbs of fat so you are loosing gains by eating too little. Conversely if you are gaining 5 or more lbs. you are likely eating too much and thus putting on needless fat. Maintaining a cardio routine is a must. A HIIT(high intensity interval training) routine has been shown to not only help burn calories but improve muscle strength and VO2Max(how much oxygen your body metabolizes when you breath).

The best option is to monitor weight/bf%. I would try to slim down to an 8-10% bf. then bulk until I hit 14-16%bf. This would result in a 2 month bulk/ 1 month burn cycle. People have different routines, but this seems to be pretty effective.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There are total different camps out there. One group of people says that you get to that lowest calorie count and then if you exercise on top of it that you need to eat each and every exercise calorie that you have earned. The other camp is that those exercise calories are to be used only for an added boost in that days quest to lose weight.

Personally, I'm in the middle of the road. My exercise affords me to not be as strict about my eating. It gives me a bit of leeway...but I try to NOT eat my earned calories. The trick is this.....our bodies are each different. I have a friend that couldn't lose a pound when she chose to not eat her earned calories and thus ate each and every one of those earned calories. Me, I tend to NOT lose if I eat each extra calorie. The trick is to figure out what YOUR body needs!
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses you guys. Personally i don't think i have it in me to do the bulking and cutting phases. I would really want to find a way to stay lean all year round. I think I am going to try and always eat at a 300 calories deficit, with a daily intake of 1.5-2g of protein per body, and hope to grow muscle. I know it will grow hard, if even at all, but i'll try my best. I've found people saying that this thing worked for them, maybe it will work for me too.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you are looking simply to maintain health then the best thing you can do is eat your maintenance calories(based on BMR) and then just add exercise to your routine(resistance and cardio). You will loose weight slowly but you will build muscle. As time goes on you will build muscle that will help you burn fat. Every 2-3 months re-evaluate your BMR and routine. Keep it tough and you will notice that you have more energy and your body feels tighter and more responsive. You might not get the gains associated with cutting/bulking cycles but if you stick with it you will get results.
  • floareaciprian
    Options
    Pls tell me if i'm doing this right:

My bmr: 1720.
    3 days intense work outs in the gym (weights): classified as moderate so i multiplied my BMR with 1.55; 1720 x 1.55 = 2666 cal.
    In my workouts i calculated (ballpark) that i burn 500 calories.
    I eat a total of 2416 calories a day.
    So my total net calories would be 1916.

Are my calculations in order? Will i loose weight doing this? The thing that bugs me the most is that i don't know if the burned calories are included in my "Daily Calorie Needs...2666" or should i sustract them after?
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. On a daily basis you eat what your TDEE is in calories. To reduce weight, deduct 500 cals from your daily amount as per your TDEE. It takes 3500 deficit cals to burn 1 pound which is healthy and realistic to burn body fat and not muscle! You must eat back your exercise calories to avoid burning lean tissue.
  • floareaciprian
    Options
    OMG that's a loat of eating...:)) i can't eat that much.
  • vicky1966
    Options
    OMG that's a loat of eating...:)) i can't eat that much.
    Eat foods that are more dense in calories....avocado, peanut butter etc. If you work out 3 times a week, I wonder if spreading the extra cals thru the week would hurt? Anyone know?
  • vicky1966
    Options
    Are you calculating your exercise calories into your TDEE? I have my TDEE set to sedentary (which really isn't that sedentary), then I add my exercise cals after that.
    Example.
    My TDEE 1995
    - 500 cals for 1 pound a week weight loss = 1495 ...this is my daily amount with no exercise and on a basic day of 8 - 10,000 steps.
    So even at a 500 cal work out I still only top out at 2000 cals. (apart from a day of landscaping and that was a conservative estimate of 1500 cals ....man that chocolate tasted good LOL)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're basing your daily calorie goal on BMR/NEAT cals, then you need to eat back your exercise cals.

No, it doesn't depend on the person. It may depend on their ability (or inability) to estimate cals burned and track cals consumed, but the approach doesn't change depending on the person.
  • floareaciprian
    Options
    No i don't use TDEE, i don't know what that is, i just calculate my bmr and deficit. If i use the site's calculator, i get bogus numbers, i'll just starve myself to death if i eat like mfp is telling me.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    No i don't use TDEE, i don't know what that is, i just calculate my bmr and deficit. If i use the site's calculator, i get bogus numbers, i'll just starve myself to death if i eat like mfp is telling me.

What weight loss goal did you put in? MFP can only do the math, it can't use any common sense. That's up to you.
  • floareaciprian
    Options
    loose .5 kg/week
    sedentary, 3 workouts/week, 1500kcal burned/week.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So, what do you have left to lose? By your ticker, it looks like 5kgs?

.5kg per week is reasonable. Are you REALLY sedentary? Very few people are.

Are you eating back those 1500 cals you burn each week?
  • floareaciprian
    Options
    Mostly sedentary, i mean, i go to the gym but i have a desk job.
    I'm not eating them back.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Mostly sedentary, i mean, i go to the gym but i have a desk job.
    I'm not eating them back.

You should be. That's why MFP's numbers seem so low.
  • floareaciprian
    Options
    So let's recap to see if i got it right :D

my daily "Requirements to maintain current weight" are 2666 calories.
    I want to lose 0.5 kg/week. So i'll cut back 500 calories from my foods.
    I will cut back 500 more calories from cardio+strenght training, but i must eat them back right? to get to that 2166 net calories/day.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So let's recap to see if i got it right :D

my daily "Requirements to maintain current weight" are 2666 calories.
    I want to lose 0.5 kg/week. So i'll cut back 500 calories from my foods.
    I will cut back 500 more calories from cardio+strenght training, but i must eat them back right? to get to that 2166 net calories/day.

Correct.

On a side note, that 2666 calories "required to maintain current weight" is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - how many cals you burn throughout a day doing everything you do... for you it's 2666).

• bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Your calculations seem right.

If you are only hitting 1000 cal net a day that is far too little calories, specially for a guy. Your basically crash dieting at that point. You will definitely lose weight, but when you run this extreme of a deficit you are also losing your lean body mass (LBM). That consists of your muscles, connective tissues, and even organs.

Now everyone is different to some extent and making all your decisions based off online calculators and expenditures isn't the best way to do this. You can find out really quickly how well a diet is working for you by testing your body fat % and figuring out your LBM. If you are running too large a calorie deficit your LBM will decrease along with your weight. Start worrying about your body fat % and not your weight dropped. Weight alone is a poor indicator of your training and diet routine.

Test your body fat % and then keep to a diet for a couple weeks and get it tested again. If your weight loss is all fat you have yourself in a good routine. If not, make adjustments as needed. Use your calculations as a starting point and custom tailor your diet based on your body fat % results.
  • floareaciprian
    Options
    So basically i am eating at my maintenance weight, but i loose those 500 calories from the gym :D
    In the days i'm not going to the gym i'll just eat 500 calories less.