Strength Training Help

Options
Hey guys! I've recently lost 30 pounds with cardio.. and I'm down to a preferred weight. However, now I'm interested in strength training and really toning up my muscle.

I'm not really sure where to start.. I understand doing heavy weights and few reps... but I'm not sure on a schedule and what supplements I need. Is there a good place to find strength training schedules for women? I can't afford a trainer. I also still want to lose some excess love handle flab. Is this possible while strength training and not focusing on weight loss?

Any advice would be great!! :)

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting this week! I love it. I read New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and read a lot here on the forums. I've built my own routine from that. I suggesting reading a book to get started and get some ideas for different patterns of programs. If you're reading about an exercise and want to do it, look it up on youtube and then watch yourself doing it in the mirror.

I've been doing:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Shoulder Press
    Chest Press
    Back Extensions
    Sit-Ups
    Twisties (I think normal people may call them Russian Twists? Not sure... When you twist your torso while sitting up to work your obliques.)

Three times a week with 48 hours of rest between each day. I'm still figuring out how heavy I should be lifting and what not. Good luck!
  • bigwagon52
    Options
    do not start out to heavy. It takes time to get your body into lifting. Dont hurt yourself. I wold say go light for about a 3 to 4 weeks.

good luck
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I started with new rules of lifting for women also.
    I take protein and GH freak, but any supplements aren't ultimately necesarry.